P4P?

Think it depends on whether we value out of state or in state results more. There are six returning state champs this year, and it seems a little odd to put someone that hasn't won a title yet (although both of his state brackets have been quite difficult) over six state champs. I think that Veazy has a case to be over some of these guys, but for the time being, I think Hockaday or Will Clark owns the top spot.

Agree with Tyson. I don't think National Ranking should be the only indicator, but it should be a good indicator for sure. I hope he gets invited to Ironman along with our other key individuals who don't go to CP or BB, to help them get more recognition. 

Henry vs Veazy next year at 190?

Penola also in the mix?

Edited by igotcaught

On 6/17/2023 at 12:49 PM, igotcaught said:

Agree with Tyson. I don't think National Ranking should be the only indicator, but it should be a good indicator for sure. I hope he gets invited to Ironman along with our other key individuals who don't go to CP or BB, to help them get more recognition. 

Henry vs Veazy next year at 190?

Penola also in the mix?

Respectfully you make what seems like a logical take. However Veazy is at a level that he may be at the OTC this season.  He is definitely an Olympic prospect.  Without downplaying the competition I’ll just say I’m privy to some of his performances and work outs with top five competitors in the country and he is dominating them. Gets better every time he goes out there.  Power 5 schools are already salivating.  Who else is on that level in our state? Christian graduated.

Edited by GenHeavyHandz

On 6/17/2023 at 11:39 AM, TysonNisley said:

Think it depends on whether we value out of state or in state results more. There are six returning state champs this year, and it seems a little odd to put someone that hasn't won a title yet (although both of his state brackets have been quite difficult) over six state champs. I think that Veazy has a case to be over some of these guys, but for the time being, I think Hockaday or Will Clark owns the top spot.

I agree that Both Hockaday and Clark are excellent wrestlers.  Respectfully Veazy has a higher trajectory.  If he wrestles in college( he is a stud football player and has already had some D1 looks); I put him on a Nick Lee like level.  Day 1 he competes for titles.  That’s why I believe he is the P4P best in Indiana today.  I don’t even have to go into the Freco. 

2 hours ago, GenHeavyHandz said:

Respectfully you make what seems like a logical take. However Veazy is at a level that he may be at the OTC this season.  He is definitely an Olympic prospect.  Without downplaying the competition I’ll just say I’m privy to some of his performances and work outs with top five competitors in the country and he is dominating them. Gets better every time he goes out there.  Power 5 schools are already salivating.  Who else is on that level in our state? Christian graduated.

It is more than just "seems like a logical take". It is a logical take.

Veazy is a very impressive wrestler, but he has yet to win a HS State title. That should count for something when doing these rankings.

Also, you say he is an Olympic prospect & is dominating top 5 competitors in the country. Now I'm assuming he would be an 86 kg prospect. So he is dominating David Taylor, Aaron Brooks, Zahid Valencia, Trent Hidlay & Mark Hall? Those will likely be the top 5 prospects at 86 kg for the 2024 Olympic team.

GHH, you have been touting Veazy for a few years now, and rightfully so. Do you think he wins a state championship this year? He had a tough as nails weight class last year, who do you think will be his toughest opponent this year?

5 hours ago, SIACfan said:

It is more than just "seems like a logical take". It is a logical take.

Veazy is a very impressive wrestler, but he has yet to win a HS State title. That should count for something when doing these rankings.

Also, you say he is an Olympic prospect & is dominating top 5 competitors in the country. Now I'm assuming he would be an 86 kg prospect. So he is dominating David Taylor, Aaron Brooks, Zahid Valencia, Trent Hidlay & Mark Hall? Those will likely be the top 5 prospects at 86 kg for the 2024 Olympic team.

Future Prospect to be clear.  He wrestled 80kgs at Nationals.  You know he is 16 right?  I meant top 5 in high school.  The results are free for everyone to see.  I'm not silly or delusional.  If you've won the Pan-Ams in both styles, and you have AA six times at Nationals.making the Semi's 5 of those times and the finals 4 times.  I don't think it's a stretch to say we may have a future Olympian on our hands.

Edited by GenHeavyHandz
Clarification

5 hours ago, Ahawkeye said:

GHH, you have been touting Veazy for a few years now, and rightfully so. Do you think he wins a state championship this year? He had a tough as nails weight class last year, who do you think will be his toughest opponent this year?

It depends on what weight and if he remains in Indiana.  175 I'd say Rhinehart, Russell or Leech.  At 190 Henry, Penola and Freeman.

Edited by GenHeavyHandz

14 hours ago, GenHeavyHandz said:

Future Prospect to be clear.  He wrestled 80kgs at Nationals.  You know he is 16 right?  I meant top 5 in high school. 

OK, that makes more sense. I got confused because you were talking Olympics then went straight to the thought that he is dominating top 5 competitors in the country without clarifying that you were now talking HS.

I'm not trying to knock the kid, as I said he is very impressive.

15 hours ago, GenHeavyHandz said:

Future Prospect to be clear.  He wrestled 80kgs at Nationals.  You know he is 16 right?  I meant top 5 in high school.  The results are free for everyone to see.  I'm not silly or delusional.  If you've won the Pan-Ams in both styles, and you have AA six times at Nationals.making the Semi's 5 of those times and the finals 4 times.  I don't think it's a stretch to say we may have a future Olympian on our hands.

Veazy is clearly one of, if not the best wrestler in the state.  So this is not a knock on him.  I know you are his biggest fan on here, I deservedly so, but calling any 16 year old a future Olympian is certainly a stretch.  Guys with superior HS, Free, Greco credentials have failed to make it to that level.  i'd say that the 2032 Olympic games would be his window.  So much can happen between now and then.  How about we just enjoy his HS career for the next two years and see where that takes him.  I'd love to see him get to that level, but let's enjoy where he is for now

Edited by ReformedPoster

A big part of this take is understanding what kind of p4p rankings these are. If it’s folkstyle then he can’t be #1. If we’re talking freestyle he is #1. If it’s both styles combined, that’s where it gets a little tricky.

2 hours ago, igotcaught said:

A big part of this take is understanding what kind of p4p rankings these are. If it’s folkstyle then he can’t be #1. If we’re talking freestyle he is #1. If it’s both styles combined, that’s where it gets a little tricky.

Given this is an Indiana HS wrestling board, I'm assuming it is a folkstyle ranking.

But assuming can get you into trouble quite often.

4 hours ago, ReformedPoster said:

Veazy is clearly one of, if not the best wrestler in the state.  So this is not a knock on him.  I know you are his biggest fan on here, I deservedly so, but calling any 16 year old a future Olympian is certainly a stretch.  Guys with superior HS, Free, Greco credentials have failed to make it to that level.  i'd say that the 2032 Olympic games would be his window.  So much can happen between now and then.  How about we just enjoy his HS career for the next two years and see where that takes him.  I'd love to see him get to that level, but let's enjoy where he is for now

Tis,tis,tis; uh uh.  I spoke with him. Not a fan: I'm a supporter. Big difference. He told me what his goals are.  I can't doubt him.  Everything he's told me he wanted to do he has done or gotten very close. This is a kid who only wrestles 6 months out of the year.  If he forgoes football and possibly folkstyle: I see it happening.  You can enjoy the next two years.  My job is to make seemingly outrageous prognostications and watch them come to fruition. Check my stats.

Edited by GenHeavyHandz

3 hours ago, igotcaught said:

I'll concede that. Greco he is definitely #1.

Edited by GenHeavyHandz
spelling

I have nothing to add to this discussion as an argument either way- I will say that he's a great kid from a great family who outworks 99.9% of his competition.  He has earned everything he has achieved, and I look forward to his continued success.  Also one of the most respectful young men you will find.

Give me 

P4P 

1. Hockaday 

2. Clark 

3. Dickman 

Tie 4. Rioux 

Tie 4. Veazy 

might give Dickman the #2 spot with his State Title, Fargo , Iron Man, Super 32 All-Americans . Idk 🤷🏽‍♂️ 

Edited by TeamGarcia
2nd thoughts