BIG tournament

17 minutes ago, SWINfan said:

Nice win for Silas!  Big Ten Champ!!

Not to mention beating the defending National Champion and depriving Penn State from their opportunity to have 6 BT Champs, which they have never done.

My Favorite match of the day!  Couldn't happen to a more deserving young man. 

Not a bad showing for Mason Parris either!  Kerk tried to control his wrist and did a little, but much less than in their matches last year.  And when Kerk did have the wrist, Mason kept him at bay and held off the attempts at the outside single.  Great adjustments by Parris.  Hope he can keep it going in 2 weeks and bring home a National Title!

I was really impressed with the Nebraska and Minnesota teams. Parity in the BiG Tens is happening and these teams have some real hammers.  Obviously I'm elated we have two home grown champs in Silas Allred and Mason Parris, I hope they continue forward to a couple titles in two weeks. 

Silas was the aggressor against an otherwise boring grappler, and it paid off. Dean is notorious for winning 2-1 matches with Rideout's.

Mason may be the smartest wrestler in the NCAAs and a coaches dream. His mat awareness and gameplans have really shown this year.

3 hours ago, SWINfan said:

Also Andrew Davison won the 9th Place bracket, beating Nick Willham to earn a spot in the NCAA Championships

I hated it, that Willham got beat, depriving him of a spot. But if he had to get beat , I’m glad it was to another Indiana guy. 

2 hours ago, beaner2 said:

I was really impressed with the Nebraska and Minnesota teams. Parity in the BiG Tens is happening and these teams have some real hammers.  Obviously I'm elated we have two home grown champs in Silas Allred and Mason Parris, I hope they continue forward to a couple titles in two weeks. 

Silas was the aggressor against an otherwise boring grappler, and it paid off. Dean is notorious for winning 2-1 matches with Rideout's.

Mason may be the smartest wrestler in the NCAAs and a coaches dream. His mat awareness and gameplans have really shown this year.

Yes, the competition to Penn st. Was a little different this year. Iowa falling off a little. And Minnesota picking up some slack. Nebraska has been in it for the last few years. Look out for Ohio State next year to add to the mix. 

On 3/1/2023 at 5:37 PM, bigballerb said:

I’ve heard Knights Steakhouse is a great place for a steak, they also got seafood on their menu as well, I’ve never tried it but heard great things. For lunch one day , you’ll have to try Zingermans deli. Huge menu and even bigger sandwiches, it was on the travel channels show called food paradise. Chapala’s  is a great Mexican restaurant and their bar seats are swings hanging from the ceiling, I thought that was cool. Hopcat is a good place for some brews, they have over 100 on tap and that’s where I’ll probably be on Friday lol. They have some other great places I’ve heard of that I’m looking forward to trying this weekend, don’t think you can really go wrong as long as you do a little investigating. I will say, places are pretty expensive up there. Enjoy your weekend with your son, should be a blast! 

I don’t know how these threads get side tracked? 
Back to the food topic. Thank you for the restaurant suggestions. As we were sitting in The Real Seafood Restaurant, Friday afternoon,at the bar for happy hour and waiting to order, we happen to sit next to a couple who were Ann Arbor residents, also taking advantage of the great happy hour. Of course we inquired for our next meal Saturday night and HE mentioned Knights downtown as you did, was a great steak house. SHE loved Knights also but thought The Chop House had a slight advantage. Chop house it was, and delish. So ,not to degrade or diminish the great food we had at these two establishments , we went to Zingerman’s Sunday at 11 before the finals. And what a great diversion. I could eat there for 20-25 days in a row and never have to order the same thing. This place is like the Delis they have out East coast way. Anyway , I’m hungry now. Thanks for the restaurant tips

10 minutes ago, Disco said:

I don’t know how these threads get side tracked? 
Back to the food topic. Thank you for the restaurant suggestions. As we were sitting in The Real Seafood Restaurant, Friday afternoon,at the bar for happy hour and waiting to order, we happen to sit next to a couple who were Ann Arbor residents, also taking advantage of the great happy hour. Of course we inquired for our next meal Saturday night and HE mentioned Knights downtown as you did, was a great steak house. SHE loved Knights also but thought The Chop House had a slight advantage. Chop house it was, and delish. So ,not to degrade or diminish the great food we had at these two establishments , we went to Zingerman’s Sunday at 11 before the finals. And what a great diversion. I could eat there for 20-25 days in a row and never have to order the same thing. This place is like the Delis they have out East coast way. Anyway , I’m hungry now. Thanks for the restaurant tips

I knew Zingermans was a deli/restaurant but I was surprised on how much other things they had for sale there as well. I saw a $600 bottle of Olive Oil there lol, I ended up grabbing some of their hot sauce and chocolate banana bread though which I though was amazing.

First round he appeared to mess his shoulder (or collarbone) up pretty badly.  I'm not sure if he should've have wrestled his next match but he's a really tough dude and he tried.  It hurt him badly in the next match and it was obvious he couldn't compete at the level he needed to.  I saw him walking around Sunday with a smile on his face and nothing wrapped so hopefully it's nothing too serious.  

59 minutes ago, ReformedPoster said:

What happened to Brayton Lee in the consi's?  Saw he got pinned pretty quickly, but don't know the details.

Mat return on his right side. Legal but hard.  Got up in pain rubbing right collar bone. 

17 hours ago, Disco said:

Yes, the competition to Penn st. Was a little different this year. Iowa falling off a little. And Minnesota picking up some slack. Nebraska has been in it for the last few years. Look out for Ohio State next year to add to the mix. 

Iowa scored 134.5 points, had 10 placers (the most) and everyone qualify for NCAA's (the most), I'm not sure they fell off much!  

2 hours ago, Go Big Blue said:

Iowa scored 134.5 points, had 10 placers (the most) and everyone qualify for NCAA's (the most), I'm not sure they fell off much!  

Well ok, you are splitting hairs. Fine , in past years Iowa would have been bumping heads with Penn State every other finals match. Not this year. The other schools picked up Iowa’s slack. I say they are down. 

16 hours ago, Disco said:

Well ok, you are splitting hairs. Fine , in past years Iowa would have been bumping heads with Penn State every other finals match. Not this year. The other schools picked up Iowa’s slack. I say they are down. 

I suppose it is how you want to look at it.

Iowa was second in the team race only 12.5 pts behind PSU & 30 pts ahead of Nebraska in 3rd.

They had 3 in the finals with 2 champs & 1 runner up. Then (2) 3rd's, (2) 5th's & (2) 7th's. They had a placer in every weight class, something no other school accomplished.

Mendez had a disappointing B1G's.

After winning his Quarterfinals match, he lost in SV in the Semi's to Nagao & followed that up with 2 more losses in the conso's - 4-2 to Cannon & 5-3 to Ragusin.

His finish in the B1G's is definitely going to hurt his seeding at Nationals, but he certainly has the skills to become an AA. Hopefully the B1G's will fuel him to a better result at Nationals.

Good Luck Jesse, we're all behind you back here in Indiana.