Evansville SS

Disco

2 hours ago, randalllynch said:

The strength of the Moorseville Regional creates a lack of diversity in the later rounds, parents/teams/family members/fans aligned to the other regionals may not be staying around after their competitors are eliminated.  As Triple B said the south is so big that most team aligned fans don't know many of the other competitors.

So centralizing the location would not help attendance then from what you are saying. Area is so big fans don’t know the other competitors 

5 hours ago, The Professor Morgan said:

Evansville numbers seemed way down from last year.  Spent my whole time in the sport at New Castle where it’s probably breaking fire code with how many people are in there.

The Ford Center feels like mini state and is a great environment but is a wildly different experience than New Castle.

Prolly because TeamGarcia wasn’t invited, had other wrestling obligations and couldn’t make to Semi State . JS 

6 hours ago, Disco said:

Ok well then maybe the numbers this year was just a freak year.  Iknow when they started at Ford you had lines starting an hour or so before the doors opened.  It was a similar experience as the big show at Indianapolis. Not this year 

I think this year was somewhat of an anomaly.  The Evansville and surrounding area teams weren't as strong this year.  The strength of this tournament was from schools farther away.  Even Mater Dei who qualified 13 and wrestled 11 due to injuries wasn't having one of their strongest years.  It wasn't hard to tell that they would likely get no more than 5 kids through to State.  With only 11 (I think that's what someone posted) wrestlers from the Castle Regional moving on to State, that had to affect #s.  This event has been streamed since 2016 or 2017 (maybe '18) so it's hard to just blame that, though I'm sure it has some effect.  I wasn't there this year and don't know if the contingents from BBurg, CG, CE, Avon, etc were normal or down a bit.  I'd just chalk this one up to a tournament dominated by 2 schools, both of which are 3 hrs away.

3 hours ago, SWINfan said:

I think this year was somewhat of an anomaly.  The Evansville and surrounding area teams weren't as strong this year.  The strength of this tournament was from schools farther away.  Even Mater Dei who qualified 13 and wrestled 11 due to injuries wasn't having one of their strongest years.  It wasn't hard to tell that they would likely get no more than 5 kids through to State.  With only 11 (I think that's what someone posted) wrestlers from the Castle Regional moving on to State, that had to affect #s.  This event has been streamed since 2016 or 2017 (maybe '18) so it's hard to just blame that, though I'm sure it has some effect.  I wasn't there this year and don't know if the contingents from BBurg, CG, CE, Avon, etc were normal or down a bit.  I'd just chalk this one up to a tournament dominated by 2 schools, both of which are 3 hrs away.

Ok, I’m not in the know, but I was justmaking an observation, this SS was not like I remember. 

I don't know that the pictures/video are a fair comparison; timing is a big part. The New Castle crowd thinned out considerably towards the end. It was still a good crowd, but nothing like the first few rounds. If I'm not mistaken, the image of Evansville was in the finals. These appear to be in the earlier rounds. 

That said, New Castle is a great environment. 

23 hours ago, Lawdiggity said:

I don’t doubt it and pictures can be deceiving. Wasn’t saying one was better than the other, just showing the cool experience at NCSS while people claim gates may be down everywhere due to streaming. This 10 second video clip from last weekend of the New Castle Fieldhouse crowd is pretty cool: 

IMG_7491.MOV 18.13 MB · 32 downloads  

Not the best picture but this was in the first round.   The other side was just as full.   Can you imagine all those people crammed into a high school gym?    I imagine there wouldn’t be a seat left.   The 4 mats at NC are touching and cover the entire floor.   The 4 mats at Evansville were in a single row and had a ton of room on both ends.   The seating capacities are nowhere near each other.   

983F5003-2F5E-4228-80D8-85C084932FE8.jpeg

The numbers were down this year at EVSS, but as has been noted the previous pictures have been deceiving given the ones of Evansville were from the finals & the ones from New Castle were from an earlier round. Also the size of the facility can have an effect on perception as well.

But I suspect it is possible to simply get the attendance numbers & compare, is it not?

4 hours ago, gsmith58 said:

I don't know that the pictures/video are a fair comparison; timing is a big part. The New Castle crowd thinned out considerably towards the end. It was still a good crowd, but nothing like the first few rounds. If I'm not mistaken, the image of Evansville was in the finals. These appear to be in the earlier rounds. 

That said, New Castle is a great environment. 

Yep and totally agree. My pic and video snippet weren’t intended as trying to show one better than other. Was just showing gym set up and fun crowd as many of us don’t get to see these pics of other semi-states. New Castle was near empty too by the time we got to 285 placement matches. 

4 hours ago, awill0352 said:

Not the best picture but this was in the first round.   The other side was just as full.   Can you imagine all those people crammed into a high school gym?    I imagine there wouldn’t be a seat left.   The 4 mats at NC are touching and cover the entire floor.   The 4 mats at Evansville were in a single row and had a ton of room on both ends.   The seating capacities are nowhere near each other.   

983F5003-2F5E-4228-80D8-85C084932FE8.jpeg

I don't know of a HS gym with nice comfy padded seats like the Ford Center either.  I know when I have attended and been there the whole day, my butt thanked me!

10 minutes ago, SWINfan said:

I don't know of a HS gym with nice comfy padded seats like the Ford Center either.  I know when I have attended and been there the whole day, my butt thanked me!

I did not know that about the Ford Center. Sign me up, I'll drive 4.5 hours for state there. Very underrated part of the sell. 

12 minutes ago, Thor said:

I did not know that about the Ford Center. Sign me up, I'll drive 4.5 hours for state there. Very underrated part of the sell. 

It's definitely a modern arena.  I've been fortunate enough to have access to a suite most of the times I have been. But all of the seats are padded.  They also have seats at the top of the seating bowl, close to where handicap access seats are.  Not sure if they will sell those specifically, but I recommend them.  Can't remember exactly what they are called, but there is time for that.