Toughest Path to a State Championship

Who are some names you know had possibly the toughest road to the top of the podium? Off the top of my head, Asa Garcia in 2016 had Cayden Rooks, Brycen Denny, and Ty Mills at the Semi-State the weekend prior and then had two-time state placer Lukasz Walendzak Friday night, followed by two-time state champion Brayden Curtis Saturday morning, then two-time placer Kory Cavanaugh in the semis, and finally Keyuan Murphy in the finals. If that ain’t running the gauntlet, I don’t know what is.

Paul Petrov teched 3x SQ/placer Friday night Jordan lile 18-3

Then pinned 2x placer (8,4) on Saturday morning, Enrique Early who himself went on to be a  NAIA NATIONAL CHAMP AND RUNNER UP in college .

In the semis he Then pinned defending state Champ Mason Todd who was a 4x State qualifier and 3x placer (1,3,5) and an Fargo FS all American as well... And flat out badass! aAnd did I mention was ranked top 10 in the country! 

Then in the finals was part of 1 the most electrifying state finals ever seen coming from behind to beat 1 of my wrestlers aka fellow New Castle Trojan B. Campbell 14-11 breaking our hearts a year after Ayersman ripped them out... Campbell was coming off a state runner up season and 3rd place finish the year before and was #1 ranked 39-0 freshman before appendicitis knocked him out the state tourney  and was also  highly ranked nationally, and a decorated Freestyle wrestler having multiple ISWA titles and a Fargo FS all American..

At a sparkling 201-6 with over a 150 pins he was in a mission pinning his way to the finals spending 4 minutes total in 3 matches.. Petrov IMHO had 1 of the best state title gauntlet runs I can think of and went on to have a great career for Bucknell.

Edited by FCFIGHTER170

I think 2016 Garcia is #1, but my #2 would be from 2006

Chad Biddle won the title at 145, beating undefeated Casey Bradley 6-5 (2OT) in the quarters, a very tough Mike Sands 4-3 in the Semi-finals, and earned a very strange looking come-from-behind pin early in the 2nd period against future 2X Champ Cooper Samuels

Edited by NavyGonzo

Alec White had a murderer's row to win his senior year (126 lbs, 2017)

Knocked off 2x champ Colton Cummings on Friday night, beat eventual champions Matt Lee and Graham Rooks in the quarters and semis respectively, and capped it off with a fall over 3x semi-finalist Blake Mulkey.

4 hours ago, NavyGonzo said:

Chad Biddle won the title at 145, beating undefeated Casey Bradley 6-5 (2OT) in the quarters, a very tough Mike Sands 4-3 in the Semi-finals, and earned a very strange looking come-from-behind pin early in the 2nd period against future 2X Champ Cooper Samuels

That pin was crazy.  I had just finished watching it on a technique DVD at the time and was mindblown to see it live in the finals.  If I recall, it was a crackdown stack.  

16 hours ago, Caleb Spires said:

Knocked off 2x champ Colton Cummings on Friday night, beat eventual champions Matt Lee and Graham Rooks in the quarters and semis respectively, and capped it off with a fall over 3x semi-finalist Blake Mulkey.

And was losing in NCSS ticket round in a war to Harrington of North Central IIRC.. was a crazy crazy match, and went on a terror once he punched that ticket! BTW mulkey 1 they best I've seen not win a title along with his team mate Chin whip City Walton! 

Edited by FCFIGHTER170

On 1/22/2023 at 1:11 PM, Caleb Spires said:

That was a pretty tough weight that year and the hardest semi-final match I ever had to watch on the other side of him.

On 1/23/2023 at 4:33 PM, busstogate said:

I remember who showed it as well: Gerry Abas.

Abas one of my favorite people ever to watch on the feet along with Lincoln, I'll never forget my best friend Matt Jagger showed me Lincoln and it made sense that he was his favorite cuz Jagger's emulated all of his offense off of McIlravey, snapdowns, butt ducks, ankle picks, Lincoln made a living out of the collar tie and so did my teammate and dear friend Matt! Abas vs McIlravey NCAA finals is still in my top five matches ever!!! 

Edited by FCFIGHTER170

On 1/22/2023 at 12:05 PM, NavyGonzo said:

yethhhh dat wath a match to rembuh