If the IHSAA only cares about the Champion...

H.B.

I apologize for my high volume of posts, but I have a rare free day and am a little fired up. I saw on an earlier thread a poster made the remark that “the IHSAA only cares about crowning the champion.” It really ticked me off, not because he said it, but because it’s true. If crowning the champion is the only thing that matters, what do we do all of this pointless wrestling for? I say forget it, if that’s how they want it. Just allow top four placement for the sake of advancing to the state finals and when it’s time to be downtown, the tournament is single elimination. No wrestlebacks or consolations. Just the winner of the finals being recognized. Since that’s all that matters. The IHSAA doesn’t care about wrestling and it sucks.

26 minutes ago, H.B. said:

I apologize for my high volume of posts, but I have a rare free day and am a little fired up. I saw on an earlier thread a poster made the remark that “the IHSAA only cares about crowning the champion.” It really ticked me off, not because he said it, but because it’s true. If crowning the champion is the only thing that matters, what do we do all of this pointless wrestling for? I say forget it, if that’s how they want it. Just allow top four placement for the sake of advancing to the state finals and when it’s time to be downtown, the tournament is single elimination. No wrestlebacks or consolations. Just the winner of the finals being recognized. Since that’s all that matters. The IHSAA doesn’t care about wrestling and it sucks.

The rest of the wrestling is to crown the team champion. 

1 hour ago, Jimtown 138 said:

You do all of this pointless wrestling to have a college take notice of you and bless you with a scholarship.

It was sarcasm. I’m saying the IHSAA doesn’t care about wrestling. If it’s only purpose is to crown champions, everything else is irrelevant to them. If the participants and fans mattered, we would see change.

8 hours ago, H.B. said:

It was sarcasm. I’m saying the IHSAA doesn’t care about wrestling. If it’s only purpose is to crown champions, everything else is irrelevant to them. If the participants and fans mattered, we would see change.

What is it that you want to see changed?

On second thought, nevermind. I read your previous post....

Edited by Jimtown 138

11 hours ago, H.B. said:

I think you're missing what the point was in that post.  Someone correct me if I am wrong....

The IHSAA sees the purpose of the State Tournament as the means to determine the Champion, both team and individual.  They do so within the manner they have set forth based on how they handle all sports.  Wrestling is a different sport and many wish it was treated more specifically than generically.  It seems the IHSAA treats in as it does with other individual sports.    

That does not mean the IHSAA doesn't care about wrestling.  

I don’t think we would have the venue we have if the IHSAA did not care about wrestling.  I am willing to bet that revenue wise, our State Tournament does pretty well for them in its current format.  I am sure it being picked up for a Live broadcast helps with revenue as well. 

There in lies the problem I feel. Their thought is probably, if it ain’t broke, pun intended, don’t fix it.

I do think it has been brought to light before that our coaches association sometimes struggles with getting the IHSAA to take them seriously with changes.  Maybe we have to think outside the box to get our changes made to our tournament. What that is I don’t know, but hopefully moving forward we can see some steps being taken in a positive direction.

On the IHSAA Website in their yearbooks it gives a detail to each sports attendance and revenue.  The last yearbook is the 2000-2001 season but here are some interesting numbers...

4th in Participation (Behind Football, Track and Baseball)

4th in Tournament Attendance (behind Football, Boys Basketball, Girls Basketball)

$162,000 in revenue for entire state tournament (to compare girls basketball was $192k with more than double the attendance)

To echo XCard, I think the IHSAA values wrestling and the tournament but are less interested in making significant adjustments to the format that might only impact a small percentage of the wrestlers.  How many 5th place finishers at state each year are truly in the top 4 but got a bad draw?  Maybe a couple of kids each year?  The IHSAA is not going to make a significant change to the tournament for a couple of kids each year.  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.