Ironman Results-Toughest tournament in US and Indiana cant go to

http://www.flowrestling.org/coverage/252464-2015-Walsh-Ironman/article/38479-2015-Ironman-Final-Results#.Vm84f02FPcs

Looks like Wyoming Seminary will be #1 team.  Too much for Blair and St Paris Graham.

Oak Park River Forest ties for 11th.   Lot of Chicago area teams doing well.

Does anyone know the intent behind the travel limitation for IHSAA member schools?

10-1 Out-of-State Contest Limitations

The address of out-of-state schools participating in a Contest against a member School as well as the site of such Contests must be within Six-hundred (600) miles round trip travel from the Indiana state line and shall be sponsored or co-sponsored by a member high School.

http://www.ihsaa.org/Portals/0/ihsaa/documents/about%20ihsaa/2015-16%20By-Laws.pdf

Like a lot of things in Indiana it doesn't make sense.  Why we couldn't travel into Ohio and wrestle a school yet couldn't wrestle a team from New Jersey at the exact same school on the same day because they reside more than 300 outside of Indiana is beyond me.  I understand to a point not wanting teams to travel but why shouldn't teams be able to participate with any school assuming it's within the 300 (600) mile rule. 

It actually makes some sense if you step back and look at it.

1. This rule was formed more for sports like basketball or football where you will see one team in a given day.

2. The IHSAA has stated that there are plenty of schools within the 300 mile radius to compete against, which is VERY true.

3. How many teams, in any sport, would this affect? In all honesty, not enough for the IHSAA to take notice and change the rules.

4. The IHSAA has stated loss of classroom time as a reason for this rule, which is hard to argue as if a team were to go to the Ironman they would probably lose two days of classroom time.

A few years ago when I was following a certain wrestler in Ohio, I really noticed they had MANY two day tournaments in which they lost school time at. I was very surprised by this as I couldn't imagine asking for days off as a coach like that.

Personally, I could live with the mile restriction, but for them to lift the opponent's mile restriction. Secondly, many people on other forums have made comments like the FFA, choir, band, etc travel all over the country all the time and that these decisions are locally made by administrators at that school. I totally agree that these types of decisions should be made at that level.

Rule should be amended to no School could travel more then 300 miles 600 round trip period. Strike out the part about not being able to compete against other schools that happen to travel to within our 300 miles. This rule hurts all involved including outside schools that would like to compete with Indiana and segregates us from the rest of the world. 

Kind of sad if you think about it. 

It actually makes some sense if you step back and look at it.

1. This rule was formed more for sports like basketball or football where you will see one team in a given day.

2. The IHSAA has stated that there are plenty of schools within the 300 mile radius to compete against, which is VERY true.

3. How many teams, in any sport, would this affect? In all honesty, not enough for the IHSAA to take notice and change the rules.

4. The IHSAA has stated loss of classroom time as a reason for this rule, which is hard to argue as if a team were to go to the Ironman they would probably lose two days of classroom time.

A few years ago when I was following a certain wrestler in Ohio, I really noticed they had MANY two day tournaments in which they lost school time at. I was very surprised by this as I couldn't imagine asking for days off as a coach like that.

Personally, I could live with the mile restriction, but for them to lift the opponent's mile restriction. Secondly, many people on other forums have made comments like the FFA, choir, band, etc travel all over the country all the time and that these decisions are locally made by administrators at that school. I totally agree that these types of decisions should be made at that level.

Joe,

My older won wrestled in Ohio and they had 3-4 two day tournaments.  And the state tournament was 3 Days and the District and Sectionals were 2 day tournaments, but  they started in the evening.     I wrestled in Kansas and we always had a couple of two day tournaments.   Most of the two day tournaments in Indiana are on the holidays when kids are out of school.        Would you say IHSAA's philosophy is to deprioritizing sports in effort to keep kids in the classroom more.   Thus one reason the Indiana state tournament is one of the shortest in the country.    Good or bad, that's the way it is.    

I know there are several states that have schools within a 300 mile radius of an indiana border-

Kentucky

Illinois

Ohio

Tennessee

Missouri

Pennsylvania

Alabama

Arkansas

West Virginia

Michigan

Wisconsin

Iowa

Georgia

New York

I know there are several states that have schools within a 300 mile radius of an indiana border-

Kentucky

Illinois

Ohio

Tennessee

Missouri

Pennsylvania

Alabama

Arkansas

West Virginia

Michigan

Wisconsin

Iowa

Georgia

New York

It seems like enough to start an IndianaMat INseason Open...er, invite.  :)

Edited by maligned

I completely understand not wanting us to travel more than 300 miles. But not allowing us to wrestle teams that travel from future away makes 0 sense. I suppose it's so two football/basketball teams don't drive halfway cross the country for an event at a neutral site

Edited by Coach Nieman

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.