3 things I would change about wrestling

WaltHarris

There are three things I would love to see change with wrestling before I become fertilizer for dandelions.

First, move Indiana to class wrestling.    All the Midwest states have class wrestling.    Class wrestling will happen in Indiana.  It is inevitable as the sunrise.    It is just a question of class wrestling coming in 2 or 4 or 10 years.   But it will happen.

Second, move to both folkstyle and freestyle in high school and college during the regular season.   If the US wrestling community is serious about improving our freestyle skills, this is the way.  College has been more open to change than high school, so I think it would need to happen in colleges first.   Track has multiple events.   Swimming has multiple events.   Tennis has multiple events.   I would love to see wrestling have multiple events/styles.   A longshot, though.

Third, use three-man mechanics for officials at semi-state and state.   I know we have a tough time getting officials.   It’s a thankless job.   But imop the three-man officiating mechanics used by freestyle/Greco officials are much better.   It also relieves pressure on officials.   This could happen, but I don’t hear much talk about it on the national level.  

Edited by WaltHarris

1st one ----- love the current system just add wrestle backs either in regionals - state or semi-state - state.

2nd one ----- I personally think they should slowly morph Folkstyle to Freestyle over the next 15-20 years.

3rd one ----- Sounds great I would be happy with a more standardized or all on the same page group (It has been getting much better I feel).

There are three things I would love to see change with wrestling before I become fertilizer for dandelions.

First, move Indiana to class wrestling.    All the Midwest states have class wrestling.    Class wrestling will happen in Indiana.  It is inevitable as the sunrise.    It is just a question of class wrestling coming in 2 or 4 or 10 years.   But it will happen.

Keep it classless! Classing is for sissies!

Second, move to both folkstyle and freestyle in high school and college during the regular season.   If the US wrestling community is serious about improving our freestyle skills, this is the way.  College has been more open to change than high school, so I think it would need to happen in colleges first.   Track has multiple events.   Swimming has multiple events.   Tennis has multiple events.   I would love to see wrestling have multiple events/styles.   A longshot, though.

That would take an act of God. We are 'Merica World Folkstyle CHAMPIONS 239 years in a row! We love our apple pie, we love our Dallas Cowboys, we love folkstyle wrestling.

Third, use three-man mechanics for officials at semi-state and state.   I know we have a tough time getting officials.   It’s a thankless job.   But imop the three-man officiating mechanics used by freestyle/Greco officials are much better.   It also relieves pressure on officials.   This could happen, but I don’t hear much talk about it on the national level.

Not sure how this would work in folkstyle as things like locking hands or other penalties could potentially be seen by only one ref.

First, move Indiana to class wrestling. All the Midwest states have class wrestling. Class wrestling will happen in Indiana. It is inevitable as the sunrise. It is just a question of class wrestling coming in 2 or 4 or 10 years. But it will happen.

Second, move to both folkstyle and freestyle in high school and college during the regular season. If the US wrestling community is serious about improving our freestyle skills, this is the way. College has been more open to change than high school, so I think it would need to happen in colleges first. Track has multiple events. Swimming has multiple events. Tennis has multiple events. I would love to see wrestling have multiple events/styles. A longshot, though.

Third, use three-man mechanics for officials at semi-state and state. I know we have a tough time getting officials. It’s a thankless job. But imop the three-man officiating mechanics used by freestyle/Greco officials are much better. It also relieves pressure on officials. This could happen, but I don’t hear much talk about it on the national level.

it is to my belief that switching to class wrestling would be taking away the great achievement of being an Indiana state champ. It's diminishing to think that there are 1 or 2 other champs at your weight class.

States with much higher populations

We have a greater population that about 25-30 states that have classed wrestling.

Our state tournament is one of the top two toughest state tournaments to qualify for in whole nation. That has yet to translate into Indiana being one of the toughest states in the nation however.

We have a greater population that about 25-30 states that have classed wrestling.

Our state tournament is one of the top two toughest state tournaments to qualify for in whole nation. That has yet to translate into Indiana being one of the toughest states in the nation however.

But might be what keeps us from falling toward the bottom.  Last I heard was that Indiana was in the top 10 states (9th).  So, I guess those 30 plus classed states below us better change. This is not a valid argument for classing wrestling.  Indiana would have to be toward the bottom for this to be valid. 

I would say a kids from schools like  Oak Hill, Adams Central, Knightstown, Centerville, Delphi, Triton, might put more time in to wrestling if they had a better chance to represent their school at the State tournament. Logic being they would spend more time with wrestling, get better, thus we would increase in talent. It's easier to convince a kid to stay out if he was a semi state qualifier than if he losing in the sectional.

As opposed to your suggested scenario that if we class kids don't have to work as hard to win, and thus our overall talent would decrease.

But might be what keeps us from falling toward the bottom

I would say a kids from schools like  Oak Hill, Adams Central, Knightstown, Centerville, Delphi, Triton, might put more time in to wrestling if they had a better chance to represent their school at the State tournament. Logic being they would spend more time with wrestling, get better, thus we would increase in talent. It's easier to convince a kid to stay out if he was a semi state qualifier than if he losing in the sectional.

As opposed to your suggested scenario that if we class kids don't have to work as hard to win, and thus our overall talent would decrease.

I didn't mean that we would decrease, I just don't see how it fits in the argument that it moves us into the top 5 by classing.  With smaller schools most athletes are multi-sport athletes. This will not change if you class or don't class.  Which doesn't increase the talent levels.  Now if we were to put more working models into play, like the one at Brownsburg than I can see huge increases in talent.  The issue IMO isn't system, but lack of advertising and things that keep kids out of the sport; like singlets (change to UFC shorts/shirt), hard work (make things more fun at youth level) and touching other guys.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.