IHSWCA Team State Qualification Poll

Y2CJ41

IHSWCA Team State Question  

137 members have voted

1. 1. What teams should be eligible for IHSWCA Team State?

• Teams that enter 6 or more wrestlers at sectional
    • Teams that enter 3 or more wrestlers at sectional
    • All teams that field at least one wrestler at sectional

Telling kids that they have no shot at a team state title helps those schools, interesting...

"We got no chance to wrestle for a team title, I'll never get out of sectionals b/c of all the larger schools, I'm not wrestling, no point"

Do teams with 5 wrestlers and 9 forfeits expect a shot at a team state title?

Telling kids that they have no shot at a team state title helps those schools, interesting...

"We got no chance to wrestle for a team title, I'll never get out of sectionals b/c of all the larger schools, I'm not wrestling, no point"

Is the kid from Indiana Blind worried about a team state title?

Do the kids at Randolph Southern that haven't won a dual meet all year worry about team state?

Gots to start somewhere. 

If you are trying to build a program, do you tell them that they don't qualify for team state?

Realistically a 1A school can turn a program around just a few short years b/c the talent at 1A level is not that of a 3A school. You could recruit the athletes hard and have a state caliber team in a very short time.

I can recall years where we wrestled teams like Eastside, and Central Noble and they only had around five kids on their team.  This year they both competed for a team state title.  To just assume that these teams cannot improve or build their program would be incorrect, thats what classing the team state does, it gives those teams something to build toward.

I can recall years where we wrestled teams like Eastside, and Central Noble and they only had around five kids on their team.  This year they both competed for a team state title.  To just assume that these teams cannot improve or build their program would be incorrect, thats what classing the team state does, it gives those teams something to build toward.

But it only takes a team out for one year, A team with 5 guys would be already not earn enough points to qualify for next year's Team State duals.  But next year if the team has 10 guys, they are back in the point race with everyone else. This is a year by year race using a team's value this season for next season. Even if a team's numbers double for the next season and are undefeated. They still don't get to compete at Team State in the new season cause they didn't qualify the year before.

A program can always rebuild, and numbers fluctuate dramatically among the smaller schools. But the issue of raising the number to more than 3 wrestlers to be eligible will have no effect on a team for the next year.

If we change the rule, Indiana Blind doesn't qualify for Team State.

If we leave the rule as is, Indiana Blind doesn't qualify for team state.

I'm not sure how this effects any of Indiana's smallest schools/ wrestling teams and their prospects for improving year to year.

I was just wondering if you have a under classman that gets hurt and cant wrestle in the state series but would have made it to reg. or ss. do they take that into consideration when doing the selections. Just seams like a lot of kids are getting hurt and not wrestling at sectionals and wondering if it affects the teams for next years scoring.

Yes, they have added a provision for this situation.  The coach can send in information about the hurt wrestler and they will determine his likely contribution that will then be calculated in to the standings.

I get it...The Big get bigger, the rest get squashed....

It's a motto our state has adopted on mutliple fronts

Good coaching and good training is what keeps the big staying big and the rest getting squashed. Success attracts. It has already been broken down to 3 classes for equality and fairness among size. Should we import a system where the big teams have to give up two wrestlers to the smaller schools to lift there value?

I was just wondering if you have a under classman that gets hurt and cant wrestle in the state series but would have made it to reg. or ss. do they take that into consideration when doing the selections. Just seams like a lot of kids are getting hurt and not wrestling at sectionals and wondering if it affects the teams for next years scoring.

For 3A and 2A, if you have an injured sophomore or junior that made it to at least semi-state last year, there is a provision for him.  For 1A, the rule is a sophomore or junior that made it to at least regional last year.  The instructions for submitting injury information are on the final page of this document: http://www.ihswca.org/news/selection2015

I get it...The Big get bigger, the rest get squashed....

It's a motto our state has adopted on mutliple fronts

You still aren't making any valid points to backup your beliefs.  If you want to hold a team state for Little Sisters of the Woods and Eastern West Chicago Central go right ahead.  Just make sure each qualifying team has a maximum limit of 4 wrestlers per roster and their school size is less than 37 students.  You can write up the brackets on a used piece of loose leaf.  You could try trackwrestling but the internet would probably just laugh at you.

If we change the rule, Indiana Blind doesn't qualify for Team State.

If we leave the rule as is, Indiana Blind doesn't qualify for team state.

I'm not sure how this effects any of Indiana's smallest schools/ wrestling teams and their prospects for improving year to yearIf that 

If that is the view point then we are choosing our classes in the wrong way anyhow.  The way that the IHSWCA divides the classes is a replica of how the IHSAA divides their classes.  This method only makes sense if you believe that all-in is something that matters, which I personally do.  If we don't believe that school x, y, or z deserve consideration then there is no reason to divide our classes the way we do.  All IHSAA tournaments are all-in.  The football tournament lets Indiana Deaf play even though they may not have a shot because the IHSAA tournament is all-in.  

If what we are attempting to do is to classify what a competitive small school, a medium size school, and a big school are then we would be much better off saying that schools with lets say less than 600 students are small schools, 601-1300 are medium, 1301- are big schools.  Otherwise we will continually be looking at a situation like we have now.  Someone will be getting screwed because whatever team shouldn't count because they do not have a shot.  Under the current situation we will be adjusting classes constantly, we will be having teams moving up and down based upon sectional entries, there will always be a questions of who should and who should count.  Dividing evenly among classes really only makes sense if we are counting everyone.

To me it is simple either we follow what the IHSAA does and have an all in, or we do our own thing and divide classes based on however we define competitive small, medium, and large schools.  The IHSAA does not count schools with less than three wrestlers for sectional scores, so if we are following the IHSAA for a guide on how to properly divide classes it would make sense that we would not count those teams either.  As a voting member of the committee that chose how classes would be divided this was my primary consideration. I am only speaking for myself here, but that is why my vote went where it did.

The football tournament lets Indiana Deaf play even though they may not have a shot because the IHSAA tournament is all-in.  

Yeah but you can't play football with 5 players on the roster.  They are given a shot to win because they have at least 11 players on team.  Your statement just justified 3/4 of the states' point of view on the topic.

You still aren't making any valid points to backup your beliefs.  If you want to hold a team state for Little Sisters of the Woods and Eastern West Chicago Central go right ahead.  Just make sure each qualifying team has a maximum limit of 4 wrestlers per roster and their school size is less than 37 students.  You can write up the brackets on a used piece of loose leaf.  You could try trackwrestling but the internet would probably just laugh at you.

Or maybe I'm trolling a troll

The football comparison makes no sense.  The wrestlers still wrestle, they just aren't considered when determining the class sizes.

We are waiting until after the season is over to determine classes anway, it wouldn't be that difficult to re class based on sectional entries.

Guys you have been TripleB'ed.  I was getting texts from him through out this as he was making irrational comment after another just to get a rise.  So please hold your death threats toward him sometimes if he doesn't have his snickers he can act like that lol

Guys you have been TripleB'ed.  I was getting texts from him through out this as he was making irrational comment after another just to get a rise.  So please hold your death threats toward him sometimes if he doesn't have his snickers he can act like that lol

TribleB meant every comment he said.  This is a public poll and his vote can be seen, so we know where his beliefs lie.   

Oh I'm pretty sure I did...

Trolling 101: You cannot troll someone by saying "I trolled you."  That automatically makes you forfeit trolling rights. 

Oh what's that? My name is Troll?  I guess I should change my name or forfeit my rights or start making sense.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.