Who knows the correct call ...

Jimtown 138

What if he isn't standing up and is on the mat kicking like hell to get his leg free? And the top wrestler likely risks the bottom man getting free and losing the match if he tries climb up the leg? What else would you do in that situation but try to hold on for dear life?

This has been posted before. We have talked with the tournament director and he and both officials agreed that it was a bad call!

IMG_5992.png

From the rule book

5-23

Hands locked repeatedly around one leg of an opponent to prevent scoring is considered stalling.

Nowhere in the rule book does it say there is no stalling in the tiebreakers or ultimate tiebreaker.

The current rule In the ultimate tie breaker is stalemate NO stalling. Stalemate as many times as necessary NO stalling.

From the rule book

5-23

Hands locked repeatedly around one leg of an opponent to prevent scoring is considered stalling.

Nowhere in the rule book does it say there is no stalling in the tiebreakers or ultimate tiebreaker.

According to IHSAA rules interpreter stalling is to be called in overtime as the regular match with the exception of the ultimate tiebreaker.

From what I understand, first call is a stalemate, second call is a stalling. Justification being that the top wrestler earned the choice to get the ride out, so it is difficult to penalize him. I say that tongue in cheek because I wasn't there. If it was blatantly obvious he was trying to avoid wrestling by just dropping to the ankle and hanging on then I agree with the stalling because you still have to make an attempt to ride out the period.

bottom line is the wrestler was hanging on to the opposing wrestlers ankle while that wrestler jumped/ran/hopped/kicked to get out on all three occasions and never got away.....as i recall, it was once during the match and twice during the ot...........so there has to be a rule book answer....what is it?

Without even a feeble attempt to move up and improve it is a good stalling call.

Stalling can still occur during the overtime periods. The wrestler on top does not have to work for a pin, but he still cannot stall. As I stated earlier, I discussed this with a very high ranking official for about a half hour and with no bias towards either of the wrestlers or teams, it was the correct call.

In the ultimate tie breaker controlled wrestling ON THE MAT is not always stalling, BUT once the wrestlers come to their feet it is no longer controlled wrestling. The official would call it a stale mate immediately and restart in the referees position. Again the defensive wrestler comes to his feet it is no longer controlled wrestling, and the offensive wrestler drops to the ankle and makes no attempt to work up, it is the officials discretion to either stale mate it or call stalling. If it were only the first stalemate warning, then the match would be restarted as before. If it is the second incident then stalemate could be called, or a stalling warning. Most definitely if it were to happen the third time it would be considered repeatedly and then stalling would be called, this would be the officials judgment as he has a better feel as to whether he is going to call it after the second time the offensive wrestler drops to the ankle or the third time.

As to the comment that the same thing happened in the State Finals, we hear it was the same exact thing that happened, there are NO two exact same things. It could have been earlier in the UTB or later and there wasn't enough time to call it or other variables that play into that match. It is Judgmental and the feel of the official on the mat at that time. 

First,   stalling should be called the same no matter what time  in the match. It doesnt matter  if in the first period or in the ultimate tie breaker.   Referees dont call it enough in tie breakers, as its controversial and takes a lot of courage.  Doesnt mean its not stalling.   Do we call take downs differently in a tie breaker?   Does it say anywhere  in the rule book or interpretions book that we should call stalling different at any time in the match?

I also see a lot of referees use the stalemate as a copout in lieu of calling stalling.  I think the sitting or grabbing on the ankle is a good example of that.      If top guy sits on an ankle,  he should move up or let  it go after a short period of time.    If he makes no attempt to improve this is stalling, not a stalemate.

I say Kudos to the referee who  made the call.

There are some incorrect arguments being used on both sides of this issue.  Stalling is NOT THE SAME in the UTB.  However, stalling CAN BE CALLED in the UTB.  See below from "points of emphasis" regarding overtime periods a couple of years ago:

Points of Emphasis:

1. At any point during the three-tiebreaker process, the match is over if a fall occurs.

2. In Tiebreakers I and II, stalling will be call the same as in the regular match and Overtime Period.

3. As in the past, stalling will be indicated differently in the Ultimate Tiebreaker. A wrestler will not be warned or penalized for stalling when he controls his opponent with a traditional riding maneuver.

It's clear from this, as it is taught by rules interpreters to officials, that stalling won't be called in the UTB if "traditional" riding is used.  However, attacking an ankle and hanging on does not fall under this.  As others have said, the correct officiating mechanics are to go to a quick stalemate and a verbal warning if there is hanging on an ankle that seems like a clear stall tactic (possibly even more than one warning, depending on the nuances of the situation and the interperation of the official as to what's happening).  Then call stalling if it happens again.

I didn't see the Al Smith match, so I have no opinion on that match; but as others have said, stalling can in fact happen in this UTB situation.

Thanks, for all of the input.

This is a stupid question, but I need to ask it. Is there a difference between "attacking an ankle and hanging on" or "having a leg, slipping to the ankle and hanging on for dear life"?

I see one as being malicious and the other as sheer desperation...

Thanks, for all of the input.

This is a stupid question, but I need to ask it. Is there a difference between "attacking an ankle and hanging on" or "having a leg, slipping to the ankle and hanging on for dear life"?

The key question to ask is, "is he working up, or is he buying time?"  If the kid you support lost, that means the official interpreted him to have had the possibility to work up or to work off the ankle for a breakdown and/or "traditional riding maneuver."  You may have interpreted it differently and you're opinion may be valid; but if that was his interpretation, he definitely did not make a call outside of the rules or outside of accepted mechanics for the situation.  In the end, if you're looking for any black and white answer for stalling, it's just not going to come--even for something like this that seems so cut and dried.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.