Corsaro got screwed!

rey mysterio

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Again cudos to Heistand for wrestling a smart defensive match, on that level he earned it, and yes I don't think Corsaro wrestled his type of match, (probably due to Heistand's great defensive wrestling).  But, I prefer a more offensive minded style and I prefer the rules to not reward defensive wrestling.  IMO it was by far the most boring match.

For me, the most boring was the 1st two periods of Wilson and James as neither one wanted to engage, so the ref threw a double stall. Now, that's boring.

Question for everyone.  Should holding on to an ankle and not improving position be called stalling?

You're in the state championship match. If you give up an escape you lose. You have 30 seconds to keep the man down, and he's trying to kick his leg out as strong as he can. What else are you going to do? 

You're in the state championship match. If you give up an escape you lose. You have 30 seconds to keep the man down, and he's trying to kick his leg out as strong as he can. What else are you going to do?

Agreed, and that is my point.  Don't think a state championship should come down to that. Change overtime rules and stalling rules.

Yes i'm from Yorktown so i'm a little biased. He did a great job from start to finish at state from taking out Borta after Borta beat him twice. Rules state in OT it is your job to hold him down. He was doing his best to work up the legs, however that's easier said than done with someone kicking at you. He did a great job and worked his butt off to make it as far as he did. Lets not take that away from him. I say congrats to him and his family for doing what it takes to make it to the end and come out on top. I wish him the best and hope he does well in the coming years. We all know all these kids put in the work, or they would not be where they are. On any given day this match or any other match could go ether way. Today was his day.

Also on another note grats to Yorktown on getting 3rd as a 2A school. Not many can say that when going up against power houses like Perry or Franklin.

Here is the real question.  Why is it that a match that is wrestled at a slow pace has no stall calls in the first five mins but then the stall calls fly as the match comes to an end when the wrestling is still being carried out in the same fashion as before?

Btw I think the refs got this one right.  Vinny even had choice.  Had he wrestled like he should have he would have forced multiple stall calls or scored take downs

Here's my 2 cents. I showed a friend my state finals match I wrestled years ago. He asked me why I keep holding on to the leg. I told him at that point that's all I could do to hold him down. I'M TRYING TO STOP HIM FROM ESCAPING!!! When you wrestle at State it's the best wrestlers. It may look easy to advance but you must work for it, which is not easy all the time.

Hated to see Corsaro not win one but in my opinion Vinny didn't do enough to win it. Heistand had some really nice shots and was at least as active as Corsaro. This pains me to say this but I think Yorktown out coached Cathedral. Vinny had been the aggressor all weekend but seemed to not be willing to let his offense loose....those lights get the nerves a rolling! Seemed to me the Cathedral Staff thought a couple matches were already won!

I believe Corsaro is the best wrestler in that weight class, but he did not earn it.  I don't think the match could have been officiated better.  I would have been so disappointed if the match would have been decided by a stalling call.  Both men were working very hard and they should be the ones to decide the match.  I think if we saw a rematch Corsaro would win, but that doesn't really matter.  Tip of the cap to Hiestand very impressive to go out and battle like that, beating Borta on the way who had previously defeated him twice.  Congrats!

Don't have time in the ot. First takedown wins

That gives the better person on their feet a huge advantage. I was always good on my feet and all, but that's not right. I think it's right the way it is. He was trying to climb up the body as Corsaro kicked away, if Corsaro doesn't kick away heistand would have climbed all the way up!

First off, if you just get rid of the ultimate tie breaker and continue to recycle through the first 3 OTs, you eliminate the issue.  It IS stalling to drop to an ankle at that point because it is not first score wins.  The top man should be working toward a fall.

I actually (surprisingly) disagree with the consensus here.  While I wouldn't say that Vinny got screwed, my feeling as I was watching the match was that he was both pushing and controlling the action throughout and I thought a second stalling call would have been appropriate at least a few times prior to the ultimate tie breaker period.  I have not studied or re-watched the match but my lasting impression is that Vinny wrestled the better match and should have gotten at least one stalling point.  Can't say that he should have won the match because you never know what happens after that point is awarded...

any thoughts on Cosaro knowing that he scored first, he was happy to go into OT and then Ultimate OT?

he came after Heistand like a tazmanian devil in the last 20 seconds of the match and darn near had a takedown.  If he'd have done that in OT he probably would have either gotten a takedown or stalling on heistand.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.