Weigh In Rules Question #1

3 very unique questions have come to mind about these rules, maybe someone else might find them interesting as well.

Scenario:

Wrestler makes 126 first meet of the year. Continues to weigh in 5 more times so he has 6 qualifying weigh ins. Then decides he doesn't want to cut the rest of the year, he wrestles 132 and 138. The week before sectionals he says he wants to go 126 again but just weighed 140.0 seven days before sectionals. Is there any rule to prevent this? To my personal understanding he could, it just wouldn't be a "qualifying" weigh in. Since he already has 6 at that weight, would that be correct?

My understanding is no he could not do that. I am not going to search the site to find the thread but a few years ago there was a case up in Northern Indiana where this came up and the IHSAA answer was no that is not allowed. To be sure of the rule you should contact the IHSAA office.

one he certified at 126 he is only allowed to wrestle 126/132 once he wrestled at 138 now he is recertified at 132 he can not wrestle 126 any more ....... ur only allowed to wrestle ur weight class and 1 weight above , by going up 2 weight classes he cannot wrestle 126 for sectionals lowest he can go is 132..........

one he certified at 126 he is only allowed to wrestle 126/132 once he wrestled at 138 now he is recertified at 132 he can not wrestle 126 any more ....... ur only allowed to wrestle ur weight class and 1 weight above , by going up 2 weight classes he cannot wrestle 126 for sectionals lowest he can go is 132..........

That would be the rule 15 years ago. We do not have the certification weigh in anymore. The weight loss program replaced it.

I'm not a coach, but the way I've had it explained to me is that the weight management plan determines the minimum weight a wrestler can way in at. If he is over that weight it is a valid weigh-in and he can wrestle that weight. If he is under the plan he can still wrestle that weight, but it does not count as a good weigh-in towards his totals. The exception is the tournament series where he cannot wrestle if he is under his weight plan specified weight. I haven't seen anything that says you can compare one weigh-in to another to determine if a wrestler has lost too much weight. The way I see wrestlers eat after weigh-ins I'd bet if you weighed them at the end of a meet many of them wouldn't be able to lose it and wrestle the next week.  :)

My understanding is that by the weight loss plan, no wrestler may, at any time, lose more than 1.5% per week. Example: a wrestler has made scratch weight at 126, but wrestles some at 132 or even 138. Assume his Alpha Weight was 130. That would mean that at no time may he lose more than 1.95 pounds per week. If the week before sectionals he weighs more that 129.95 (not certain how they handle rounding), then he can't compete at 126 (128) in the sectional.

Per Mr. cox, the last time this was challenged, Thorton's explanation was correct. At no time can a competitor lose more then 1.5% a week from weigh in to weigh in. It's a base to keep athletes from dropping too much weight that can be detrimental to their health and well being. These are not my words but rather IHSAA's.

Probably good to get an actual ruling from Mr. Cox or Mr. Faukland prior to the sectional seed meeting.  If would not be good to seed a wrestler at a weight class just to then be told after that the wrestler now doesn't qualify for that weight because he weighed in way over weight earlier this month.   

http://www.ihsaa.org/Portals/0/boys%20sports/wrestling/IHSAA%20Wrestling%20Weigh-In%20Regulations%20(2).pdf

5. A coach may enter his wrestler in the IHSAA tournament series in any weight class that

wrestler may be eligible for provided that wrestler has adhered to their individual weight

management program that states a wrestler may never lose more than 1 ½ % of their body

weight per week.

http://www.ihsaa.org/Portals/0/boys%20sports/wrestling/IHSAA%20Wrestling%20Weigh-In%20Regulations%20(2).pdf

5. A coach may enter his wrestler in the IHSAA tournament series in any weight class that

wrestler may be eligible for provided that wrestler has adhered to their individual weight

management program that states a wrestler may never lose more than 1 ½ % of their body

weight per week.

So it goes off of your last weigh in then?

All I'm trying to show is that their too much grey. I've seen emails ruling it different ways. We've also seen kids miss weight in the state tourney and be allowed to wrestle. Consistency is all I strive for.

So it goes off of your last weigh in then?

All I'm trying to show is that their too much grey. I've seen emails ruling it different ways. We've also seen kids miss weight in the state tourney and be allowed to wrestle. Consistency is all I strive for.

That is how I understand it, and the way it is written in rule 5 it says "per week" with no caveats or qualifiers.

not to throw a wrench into this but during the changing of sectionals and looking into rule tweeks a group of coaches meet with the IHSAA and this question came up and we were told that the weight loss plan is what we went by and it didn't reset every week so as long as we meet the plan laid out at the beginning of the season we werefine.

Also like to mention in the old State duals series run by the IHSAA wrestlers were granted a allowance for a wed weigh-in when the 1 1/2% per was initiated and those wrestlers were allowed to lose more than 1 1/2% from wed to Sat so like tripleB said waaaaaay to much grey area.

not to throw a wrench into this but during the changing of sectionals and looking into rule tweeks a group of coaches meet with the IHSAA and this question came up and we were told that the weight loss plan is what we went by and it didn't reset every week so as long as we meet the plan laid out at the beginning of the season we werefine.

Also like to mention in the old State duals series run by the IHSAA wrestlers were granted a allowance for a wed weigh-in when the 1 1/2% per was initiated and those wrestlers were allowed to lose more than 1 1/2% from wed to Sat so like tripleB said waaaaaay to much grey area.

Im glad our coach was able to make it to the clinic this year.

Faulkens gave his presentation to the all coaches at the fall clinic explaining the weight loss plan.

So if you didn't go to that session you were basically SOL? There were probably 200+ head coaches not at the clinic that probably would have benefited from this information and yet our state coaches association doesn't distribute it.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.