Is "The Region" Losing Ground to the Rest of the State?

headlock83

As I look at the most recent rankings, I can't help but notice the lack of love for the Merrillville semi state.  If the rankings hold out, Merrillville S.S. walks away with only 3 champs.  I can't ever remember, at least in recent history, when Merr. S.S. had such few state champions.  I am not bashing the rankings guys or the ranking system. They are fun and probably pretty accurate over all.  All I am saying is that I won't believe it until I see it regarding only 3 state champs from "The Region."   

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know if the region is "losing ground", but the New Castle semi-state outdistanced all other semi-states by any method of measurement last season.

Last year and in 2011 the area typically known as "the region" had only 3 champs, with 5 total from the M-ville semi-state last year and 4 in 2011.  Both of those totals are still above the semi-state average of 3.5, but it does seem the success rate is a little down compared to the last 12 years or so.

I don't know if the region is "losing ground", but the New Castle semi-state outdistanced all other semi-states by any method of measurement last season.

Last year and in 2011 the area typically known as "the region" had only 3 champs, with 5 total from the M-ville semi-state last year and 4 in 2011.

I realize that many schools that feed into the Merrillville S.S. aren't really in "The Region", but I was really talking about the lack of love of the Merr. S.S. in general.

I realize that many schools that feed into the Merrillville S.S. aren't really in "The Region", but I was really talking about the lack of love of the Merr. S.S. in general.

I wouldn't say that there's a "lack of love".  IndianaMat's rankings are remarkably accurate, with virtually all champs coming from among the Top 3 in a given weight.  Right now, Merrillville has 15 wrestlers of that distinction, with New Castle at 11, E-ville 10, and FW 6.  Maybe you're better off than you think.

I wouldn't say that there's a "lack of love".  IndianaMat's rankings are remarkably accurate, with virtually all champs coming from among the Top 3 in a given weight.  Right now, Merrillville has 15 wrestlers of that distinction, with New Castle at 11, E-ville 10, and FW 6.  Maybe you're better off than you think.

Great point.  To be honest, I was really just stirring the pot.  I knew before it was pointed out, that the Merr. S.S. was projected to have more over all placers than the other S.S.  Heck, I will even say that the 126 pound champ may not come from the Merr. S.S.  After watching Lee wrestle Micic may have huge problems as well, and he is one of the three #1 ranked guys.  You have to love this time of the wrestling season!

If all things went exactly as the rankings said:

Evansville would have 27 placers with 4 champs.

New Castle 35 placers and 7 champs.

Fort Wayne 18 placers and 0 champs.

MV 42 placers and 3 champs.

what did the rankings say last year at this time and what was the end result?

what did the rankings say last year at this time and what was the end result?

Not sure, but most likely neither 42 nor 18 will happen.  A lot of state-placer caliber guys are weeded out of M'ville semi-state.  Average should be 28 placers.  The high is usually mid-30s and the low is usually low 20s. 

region wrestling fans, drop what you are doing and follow my instructions.

remove your shirt, put a chair in front of a mirror and sit in it.

for five hours, I want you to examine the reflection of your belly button and ponder the region's rightful place in Indiana wrestling.  the answer will come surprisingly easy.

for five hours, I want you to examine the reflection of your belly button and ponder the region's rightful place in Indiana wrestling.  the answer will come surprisingly easy.

I like a good laugh at the Region's expense.  But I gotta say, "Huh?"  Your humor was lost on me!  Sorry.

Sounds like a man of experience, that has done this before when his favorite SS was weak.  If any of us northerners need any tips on how to accomplish the said rant above, we will private message you.

Sounds like a man of experience, that has done this before when his favorite SS was weak.  If any of us northerners need any tips on how to accomplish the said rant above, we will private message you.

good comeback.

with your "panther vision", you may need to pull said chair closer to the mirror.

panther out!

good comeback.

with your "panther vision", you may need to pull said chair closer to the mirror.

panther out!

LOL, that would be further away with my keen panther vision, you might have to sit a little closer with your Hooker vision.

This was worse dan Ditka leaving da bears. I tinks da ranking folks better sharpen dare pencils. Da Rats crystal ball has 5 region champs/

1 from HANOVER 2 red devils, one pirate and 1 Indiana.

For us non-regioners, I believe Red Devils are Lowell? What are the pirates and Indiana?

This was worse dan Ditka leaving da bears. I tinks da ranking folks better sharpen dare pencils. Da Rats crystal ball has 5 region champs/

1 from HANOVER 2 red devils, one pirate and 1 Indiana.

Throw in Forte , Macri , Kral and Woods as possibilities as well out of Merrillville.

Throw in Forte , Macri , Kral and Woods as possibilities as well out of Merrillville.

Forte yes, Macri Maybe, Kral Maybe, Woods not gonna happen. 

He is a very good wrestler, but I believe he has lost 2 close matches to T. Johnson at Elkhart Memorial this year.

But your point is well taken. Possibly 6-7 Individual State Champs could come out of the M'ville SS.

Forte yes, Macri Maybe, Kral Maybe, Woods not gonna happen. 

He is a very good wrestler, but I believe he has lost 2 close matches to T. Johnson at Elkhart Memorial this year.

But your point is well taken. Possibly 6-7 Individual State Champs could come out of the M'ville SS.

Two 1 point losses is not to much to overcome . I think the 3rd time will be a charm for Woods , if he meets T . Johnson again .

Two 1 point losses is not to much to overcome . I think the 3rd time will be a charm for Woods , if he meets T . Johnson again .

If he beats Dakota Thacker this weekend at Bellmont, then I would be more inclined to believe this could happen.

But I also think Mr. Kral and Mr. Johnson will have something to say about that.  Kobe is a helluva an athlete and is learning by leaps and bounds, he might be one year away, but it's gonna be a fun 195 weight class this year either way.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.