best wrestler to not win state

bigmak

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

who is the best wrestler in the last 5 years or so to not win a state title? I doubt anybody has ever been runner up all 4 years but whats the closest to that?

Brendan Campbell, hands down.

Freshman year - Ranked 1st, got hurt.

Sophomore year - 3rd place

Junior year - Runner-up, was winning most of the match.

Senior year - Runner-up, was winning by 3 points going into the third.

Agree 100% with Campbell.  Two years in a row had victory in his grasps and the gas tank ran out.  He was fun to watch, lit the score board up! 

Also, I agree Dolly was a hard luck loser as well, but the initial post said the last 5 years or so, he'd be more in the last 10-15 years.  2-1 loss to an Indiana legend is nothing to hang your head about. 

I would agree Campbell would be on top, but for obvious reasons I got to believe Josh Kieffer is close second,  5th ( lost to state champ Raley 7-4 ) 2nd Runner-Up ( lost to Hawkins in double OT) 4th. ( Lost to state champ Bradley in semis) 2nd Runner-up lost to a JMcKinnley.  First year college wrestling( D2) with UIndy is AA (6th). RS last year goes under the knife and gets a shoulder repaired ( 9 months of rehab ) will have 3 years left to capture a National Championship. Josh wrestled with a dislocated shoulder his entire HS career, for one reason he never wanted to miss one opportunity to win a state championship. His shoulder was a train wreck. He never used it as excuse. If anyone followed Roncalli wrestling, you seen him dislocate his shoulder over and over, and he kept on wrestling. He is my kid, and for lots of reasons I don't like to brag about any of  my boys, but I am going to put my two cents in on this topic.

I would agree Campbell would be on top, but for obvious reasons I got to believe Josh Kieffer is close second,  5th ( lost to state champ Raley 7-4 ) 2nd Runner-Up ( lost to Hawkins in double OT) 4th. ( Lost to state champ Bradley in semis) 2nd Runner-up lost to a JMcKinnley.  First year college wrestling( D2) with UIndy is AA (6th). RS last year goes under the knife and gets a shoulder repaired ( 9 months of rehab ) will have 3 years left to capture a National Championship. Josh wrestled with a dislocated shoulder his entire HS career, for one reason he never wanted to miss one opportunity to win a state championship. His shoulder was a train wreck. He never used it as excuse. If anyone followed Roncalli wrestling, you seen him dislocate his shoulder over and over, and he kept on wrestling. He is my kid, and for lots of reasons I don't like to brag about any of  my boys, but I am going to put my two cents in on this topic.

spoken like a very proud father......amen.

Agree 100% with Campbell.  Two years in a row had victory in his grasps and the gas tank ran out.  He was fun to watch, lit the score board up! 

His gas tank definitely gave up against Ayersman, but in his match with Petrov, it looked like he hit his head and was a little dazed. Not taking anything away from Petrov, he was probably the most exciting and tenacious wrestler that weekend. It was one of those matches where they both deserved to win and it was kind of upsetting that one had to lose.

Luke Welch

Fr - SQ lost 1st rd to Ayersman (1st) 5-0

So - 5th lost 2nd rd to Levi Moss (4th) 2-1

Jr - 5th lost 2nd rd to Adam Garcia (4th) 4-3

Sr - Runner up lost Final to Nick Crume (1st) 3-1

Year in and year out was always in one of thoughest weight classes in the state and was always in the match one way or the other. some of the competition in in weight class is listed below.

Fr - Ayersman (1st), Paul Beck (2nd), Brenden Campbell (3rd), Jared McKinley (4th), Mason Todd (5th)Brian Harvey (6th)

So- Ayersman (1st), Brenden Campbell (2nd), Chandler Carroll (3rd), Levi Moss (4th), Logan Wedding (6th)

Jr - Paul Petrov (1st), Brenden Campbell (2nd) one of the greatest matches in state finals history, Mason Todd (3rd), Adam Garcia (4th), Alonzo Shepard (6th)

Sr - Nick Crume (1st), Ben Harvey(3rd), Tom Gettinger (4th), Brandon James (5th), Josh Fuqua (6th)

Nick Crume is going to be your son's teammate this coming season and is looking forward to having the Kieffers as his practice partners!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.