best wrestler to not win state

bigmak

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

His gas tank definitely gave up against Ayersman, but in his match with Petrov, it looked like he hit his head and was a little dazed. Not taking anything away from Petrov, he was probably the most exciting and tenacious wrestler that weekend. It was one of those matches where they both deserved to win and it was kind of upsetting that one had to lose.

Agreed on the former. That 119 lb final had to be the most intense and exciting 45 seconds to finish a match I have ever seen. Someone previously posted this video of it:  http://www.ihigh.com/hoosierauthority/video_893317.html

With regards to Petrov the following year, agree 1000%, you hit it with 'tenacious'. I would have given him OW for tournament. In the Semi's just when you think he has it in the bag and can back-off the throttle after a late takedown, keeps the legs trapped and goes for the pin against a returning state champ, Mason Todd.  Just think, looking back to the year prior in 2010, how about this semi-final parings at 112, Mat 1 = Petrov vs Todd, and Mat 2 = Phillips vs. Brooks, all guys who would have state titles to their name.

Justin Brooks, John Sims, Kieffer Brothers, Connor Mullins, Alex Johns, Brendon Campbell,

Some less recent  & really old school guys off top of my head:

Alan Grammer - IHSAA 1978 & 79 Runner-up.  Went on to SIU Edwardsville , 3x - NCAA Division II All-American and 2x DIV-II Champ. At 85 & 86 DIV I Nationals he was All-American with 3rd place and fifth in some deep weight classes. Won like 120 matches at SIUE.  I would have to put him at the top.

Chris Traicoff - 1930's - was NCAA AA at IU but not sure he was ever state champ?

Joe Lilovich - Runner-up and Placer - Went on to win Big Ten Championship in 87 or 88 at Purdue

Nick Hardwick, Lawrence North - This one is from left field just to show what great story & athlete he was. State Runner up in 1998?

Never played football in high school, then, while watching Drew Brees led Rose Bowl Team as a freshman student at Purdue, decides that he wants to walk on the football team. Becomes All Big-Ten Lineman, goes to NFL where he has already played 10 years in the NFL, made the pro-bowl, etc.    http://www.chargers.com/team/roster/Nick-Hardwick/681bbcc9-53c2-4995-be3e-a170ebeac512

Shannon Stout, Delta '94 - 4X placer 6th, 5th, 2nd, and 3rd   

Randy Baker, Bellmont '02 - 4X placer 3rd, 3rd, 6th, and 7th

the lowest weight either of these guys wrestled was 145

Shannon Stout wrestled 135 his freshman year.  But point still taken. 

Shannon Stout, Delta '94 - 4X placer 6th, 5th, 2nd, and 3rd   

Randy Baker, Bellmont '02 - 4X placer 3rd, 3rd, 6th, and 7th

the lowest weight either of these guys wrestled was 145

I believe Stout wrestled 135 as a frosh in 1991.  He pinned Brock Happe from MD Friday night at state with his headlock.  Happe was 135 that year.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.