Track coaches canned over bear crawls

TripleB

Sounds like these kids need to learn how to do bear crawls correctly! :)

Unless they were heat blisters from the hot asphault surface, how in the heck do you get blisters from doing bear crawls?

If that would have been me as a kid, my dad would have laughed and told me to not miss practice next time.

Coach McCormick hit the nail on the head when he mentioned what his father would've said.

The fear of what my dad would've done after finding out I skipped practice would've kept me from showing him the blisters in the first place.

Another example of kids not really being the root of the bs we deal with as teachers/coaches.

KBoyer

Here is more to the story

http://fox59.com/2013/05/02/cascade-high-school-track-coaches-accused-of-delivering-overly-harsh-punishment/#axzz2SFa43Lew

The father planted the excuse that his son had to pick up his tux. That is a pretty weak excuse to miss practice.

The comments have been disabled at the bottom, must have been some colorful replies!

This one has some great comments

http://www.wishtv.com/dpp/news/local/west_central/track-coaches-asked-to-resign

Especially "a concerned parent" who says the coaches shouldn't punish the kids. I can't wait to hear the first school board to state that practices are optional for every sport...but equal playing time also.

I will say I have done some very "aggressive" things as punishment for kids missing practice but I think this was a case of a track coach not realizing what they were asking.  I had many a trip to the sand during boot camp while in marines and the hot sand while doing mountian climbers can cause this same effect. 

Yes Bear crawl all day on grass but on the track wasn't smart in this day and age.

I did check the pics and the crawls were stopped as soon as it was brought to their intention.

Supsend them for the year, whatever, but they shouldn't lose their jobs.

I would agree,  they should not lose there job.  But they have to take full responsibility for their decisions and this

one was not good.

Like it or not, without discipline this is the kind of things that kids do now days. Check the link

http://news.msn.com/crime-justice/video?videoid=4c2f724d-bcc0-abc1-555a-aae609014104&ap=true

I love discipline!  I want a coach to be hard on my kid.  Make him work for everything.  Make him pay the consequences when he screws up.

I just think the same holds true for coaches.  These coaches screwed up.  They have to pay the consequences for their actions on this one.

They made a mistake.  They need to own up to it and learn from it.  Coaches are allowed to screw up as well.  Sometimes you just have to own it.

I am totally against the coaches loosing their teaching job over this.  I would bet they have already learned a tough lession from this.

My junior year in high school I was having a tough day at school, had an arguement with my girlfriend, was not cutting my weight like I should have so in wrestling practice that day I was working out with a kid in my weight class who was flat out not very good. I was taking all my frustrations out on him and more or less beating the crap out of him with hard crossfaces and anything really to inflict pain. My coach saw this and he promptly walked over grabbed me by the headgear and punched me right in the head. He made me apologize to the kid and to the team. He said if I didn't sound sincere he was going to punch me again. I sounded so sincere I should have received an Academy Award.

When I got home that night I was still in a bad mood. My dad askled me what was wrong and I said Coach Bello punched me during practice. My dad asked what I did to deserve it because he knew Coach Bello well and he knew he wouldn't just walk up and punch me for no reason. When I told him I was beating up on the other kid I really got in trouble.

Discipline starts at home. Too may parents are expecting teachers and coaches to discipline their kids when they don't do it themseleves. Our coaches made us do things they would get arrested for today. Not everybody got a trophy and there was no true 2nd. 2nd place was 2nd place and 3rd place was 3rd place. If you screwed up you were held accountable.

I miss the good old days.

Yep, parenting is atrocious. They blame teachers and coaches and make excuses for them. There is no discipline at home anymore. No wonder kids are lazy, quit sports in the middle if the season, skip practices, etc.

Devil's advocate. I'm not allowed to discipline me child its inhumane the liberal democrates told me they would put me in jail. My child has the child abuse hotline on speed dail on his blackberry phone  that i bought for him.  I say you better hope the police get here before i get my belt unbuckled,because if im goin to jail im gonna make it worth my time.

Yep, parenting is atrocious. They blame teachers and coaches and make excuses for them. There is no discipline at home anymore. No wonder kids are lazy, quit sports in the middle if the season, skip practices, etc.

This is also a huge problem today.  People can,t seem to distinguish between one situation to another.

What we do is divert blam on others.  The coaches were wrong in this situation period.  They need to show the kids that when you screw up you except blam and move on.  If you expect kids to except "discipline when they are wrong.  Adults need to be able to do the same.

My first job coaching at the High School level was at another school.  I was pretty much in charge and we had a kid kind of like that nasty Tom Clark.  He was a senior and he was just beting up on a freshman kid and laughing about it.  It upset me so I became his next partner.  I remember doing a move and saying now that was hard and then doing it a bit differently and saying now that was dirty....you know the way you did it against Frddy. He left with a busted lip and a black eye and another nice mark or two.  Anyway, a couple of hours later the phone rang and the voice said this is Mr. ____ and before I could say a word he said that his son had come home pretty beat up that evening.  I began to speak, but he cut me off and told me that he appreciated me working with his son and that anything I could do to toughen him up and change his attitude was much appreciated.  Times have certainly changed. 

[/img]Are we still talking about this one situation?  Are you guys justifying this exact punishment along with the outcome of the punishment?

Once again I don't believe the coaches should loose their teaching jobs.  But to say they are justified in the choice of punishment in this case,

in my oppion is wrong.

I tried to attach the picture of this kids hands.  I can't figure out how.  If someone could do that.  It would help in this descussion.

My first job coaching at the High School level was at another school.  I was pretty much in charge and we had a kid kind of like that nasty Tom Clark.  He was a senior and he was just beting up on a freshman kid and laughing about it.  It upset me so I became his next partner.  I remember doing a move and saying now that was hard and then doing it a bit differently and saying now that was dirty....you know the way you did it against Frddy. He left with a busted lip and a black eye and another nice mark or two.  Anyway, a couple of hours later the phone rang and the voice said this is Mr. ____ and before I could say a word he said that his son had come home pretty beat up that evening.  I began to speak, but he cut me off and told me that he appreciated me working with his son and that anything I could do to toughen him up and change his attitude was much appreciated.  Times have certainly changed.

I don't think this kid could be much tougher.  I am sure he was the one who finished both laps without complaining.  The rest of the kids probably only made 1 lap before they stopped.  This is not about making this kid tougher.  It is about a pore decision by a few coaches.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.