Track coaches canned over bear crawls

TripleB

One of the best lessons I learned about punishing kids I learned while working a camp in New York. We had some kids break curfew and where out running around before we caught them, just before we where about to sweat them by making do some pushups to help them sleep better the Coach/Camp Director stopped us. He promptly called the kids parents and asked them to come pick up the kids from camp immediately as they broke the rules of the camp which the parent and kid signed at registration. The parents declined to pick up their kid at 2 am told Coach/Camp director to punish them instead. The Coach /Camp Director declined and told the parents if they did not pick up the children he would call the police, tell them they are being kicked out of camp and the parents refused to pick them up so they will be without a place to stay for the evening. The police indicated they would be placed in juvenile care until the parents arrived, the Coach/Camp Director said ok come get them. I thought this was crazy and that the parents would sue his butt off, he told me even the slightest punishment would give the parents the right to sue him (which had happened once) but with a signed document he had the right to call the police because the kids violated the rules.

The parents where pissed at the Coach/Camp Director but he indicated they should be pissed at the kids because they violated the Camp rules. I was amazed it came to that but you know he was right, kids can't or are unwilling to follow the Camp rules they have no business being at the Camp. The out on that part would be prior permission granted from the Coach.

True Story

In a statement, the school said the coaches admitted they exercised “poor judgment.” They will remain with the school as teachers because they have “recognized and taken ownership of their actions.” The school didn’t anticipate any carryover in the classroom from the incident.

Read more: http://fox59.com/news/stories/cascade-track-coaches-disciplined-after-bear-crawl-punishment/#ixzz2SdSklLTR

This seams to be the adult way to handle this.  Cascade could not have handled this much better.

I am also very glad to see the coaches step up and take responsibility for their actions.  They have lived by the

rules they preach. I have a great deal of respect for them.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.