The 5th Place Alernate

Y2CJ41

From North Mont Regional: 3 out of 14 would have been the same.

1 was a sectional alternate

1 was from the Floor/Neibarger upset

1 was heavyweight where anything can happen

The old way of determining the alternate was flawed.  This fix seems to be a step in the right direction.

2 (113 & 285) at Bloomington South.  4 more (120, 138, 145, and 182) were in 6th.

As a coach, I felt like for the most part the deserving wrestler earned that alternate spot.  It may not have mattered to some, but you could tell that for the most part, the kids wrestling for that spot gave it their all.

Can the alternate wrestle if someone misses weight? When does the 5th place alternate have to be ready to be that alternate? Do they wait for a call from an injured or unable to compete wrestler's coach? Can someone explain? Thanks

Combination of things..

the coach can call and tell their head coach.

The tourney director can call..

The alternate can show up Saturday morning on weight and still might slip in, I've seen/been apart of all three!

I think it's only worthwhile if the number of alternates who actually got to wrestle but would not have under the old format is significant.. How many of those so far? 0?

Alternate came into play for the Ft Wayne semistate...

4th place 152 finisher at Jay County Regional is unable to wrestle at semistate due to suffering a concussion...

under old format the Jay County wrestler would have been alternate since he lost to Bradley, but now the Bellmont wrestler gets to advanced because he wrestled back for 5th...

Alternate came into play for the Ft Wayne semistate...

4th place 152 finisher at Jay County Regional is unable to wrestle at semistate due to suffering a concussion...

under old format the Jay County wrestler would have been alternate since he lost to Bradley, but now the Bellmont wrestler gets to advanced because he wrestled back for 5th...

The 170 alternate from Elkhart Memorial Regional (Austin Maggart of Fremont) is also wrestling due to an injury to Tommy Kendall from Elkhart Memorial.

I think it's only worthwhile if the number of alternates who actually got to wrestle but would not have under the old format is significant.. How many of those so far? 0?

lol. You stick your foot in your mouth more than me on this board. Guess there are more than 0 kids getting a chance at alternate at ss thanks to the new wrestleback system.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.