Tough rat-tails, and why we don't we change random draws at sectionals?

ENoblewrestling

Rey - This is now true at Regionals, but there are only 8 there, so no rat-tail matches are necessary.

Actually still not exactly accurate.  Starting this year if you lose 1st round of Regional (or in the ticket round of Semi-State) you can only wrestle back for the alternate spot (basically 5th/6th) but not all the way to 3rd/4th.  Though it would be nice if they did offer full wrestle backs.

For Rey's issue: In Sectionals with more than 8 teams a 16man bracket is used.  In that case the opening round is not scored and the loser of that match does not get to participate in the wrestle backs.  This usually only effects  a very small number of people (due to schools usually having FF or the size of your sectional).  Anyone that loses in the quarter finals (which feels more like the first round) does get a chance in consolations to wrestle back all the way to 3rd/4th.

i know seedings and draws are all apart of wrestling and all..and i know this is a whole different subject but i think there should be wrestle backs throughout semi state and state as well. because well obviously some get kinda screwed with a draw say at semi state. say they lose to the guy who wins the semi state in the ticket round match but yet theyre better than the next three finishers or has already beat the next three guys i think they should still be allowed to have a shot at least at facing them to go on. i mean i know its all apart of it but with a system like that you could almost guarantee the best of the best would be at state . so ya i like that they added the wrestlebacks to regional.they need to for semi state and state now somehow

looking at the south dearborn sectionals 113 weight class. I dont understand the philopshy in the matchup there. there are 10 schools with one forfeit giving everyone a first round bye...with the exception of the number 1 seed. how is the logic that he has earned the number 1 seed and "earned" the only match in the first round? typically not a real big deal as you would just throw the weakest wrestler to the wolves so to say and the top seed advances as he should but via a win. In this particular case, the kid being thrown to the wolves is a kid with a 5-4 record ONLY because he was ineligible for most the season. last year a beat this years current #12 ranked semi state kid twice and had a few other key wins. this year, he has taken a sectional winner the distance and almost tech falled another semi state ranked kid. he is no scrub by any means and if he can knock the rust off real quick, there might just be a huge upset when #1 is sent home packing at sectionals in first round while 7 others get to advance via byes and forfeit. something is flawed.

looking at the south dearborn sectionals 113 weight class. I dont understand the philopshy in the matchup there. there are 10 schools with one forfeit giving everyone a first round bye...with the exception of the number 1 seed. how is the logic that he has earned the number 1 seed and "earned" the only match in the first round? typically not a real big deal as you would just throw the weakest wrestler to the wolves so to say and the top seed advances as he should but via a win. In this particular case, the kid being thrown to the wolves is a kid with a 5-4 record ONLY because he was ineligible for most the season. last year a beat this years current #12 ranked semi state kid twice and had a few other key wins. this year, he has taken a sectional winner the distance and almost tech falled another semi state ranked kid. he is no scrub by any means and if he can knock the rust off real quick, there might just be a huge upset when #1 is sent home packing at sectionals in first round while 7 others get to advance via byes and forfeit. something is flawed.

By "ineligible" do you mean because of grades?

This seems more fair than randomly drawing kids in, who may get the top seeds and have no real chance, or in a stacked weight ay actually give the seeded kids some tough matches.

If they are having to be drawn out for the sectional bracket then that means they probably don't have a chance anyways. Those are usually the under .500 wrestlers.

Why is it that people now pick and prod at every little thing these days and want stuff changed? Really complaining about how sectionals are seeded and bracketed? It is getting pathetic.

And we wonder why the IHSAA and IHSWCA don't get along very well at times.

I agree, without any team points being awarded it makes no sense to place an unseeded wrestler against the top guys.  It should be the same as a play in game for the NCAA basketball tournament. Unseeded vs. unseeded.

yep agree. Makes more Spence to me like to see more equal matches, as to predict the outcome ahead.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.