Slamming

feez

This week I witnessed two different slams on the mat. They were in the 182lbs and 220lbs weight classes. In the 182lb match the ?slammed? wrestler was severely overmatched and ended up with a possible concussion.

In the 220lb match the ?slammed? wrestler was already behind 9-0 and had to be taken to the hospital with a neck injury. It also possibly cost the team (of the wrestler that did the slamming) the win in the dual meet. Both wrestlers lost the matches for their teams when it was totally unnecessary!

Remember wrestlers Rule 7 Article 1 ?A slam is lifting and returning an opponent to the mat with unnecessary force?.

One of my kids got called for a slam this weekend.  Although I protested at the time (I still maintain there is no polite or quiet way for heavyweights to land on the mat against their will), once you take a wrestler off of the mat surface, you are responsible for returning them in a safe way.  Sometimes the adrenaline of a match makes us forget.  This is one of the points of emphasis this season for officials and it seems at least to the ones I have seen that they are taking it very seriously.

Ok

This subject hits very close to home for me.  My son got DQ'ed last year in sections for a  slam.  I will tell you this without a doubt.  It is very difficult in the heat of a match to walk the line between a good successful return and a slam.  Especially for a wrestler that naturally throws very well.  I know last year. Jack expected his opponent to react differently in the air than he did.  In many cases slams occur when the bottom guy reacts in the air differently than the top guy expects.  I guess my point is.  Just because a slam occurs.  Does not mean that it was intentional.  I know that Jack has given up at least

4 or 5 takedowns this year beacuse he was afraid of being called for a slam.  Last year if he got a body lock he would just lift and take his oponent straight to back.  Now he uses a trip most of the time.  I am not tring to make an argument for slamming but what I am saying.  It is not as cut

and dry as some would like to make it out to be.

I dont think the refs should have a say on slaming in a match unless one of the wrestlers is clearly the better athlete and is clearly doing it to show off. The reason I think this is if the kid who got slammed is neck and neck with the slammer, shouldnt he be the one to decide if he can't contiue to be dq'd or wants to be a real man and continue wrestling and just take 2 points for being slammed, make the slammer pay for the mistake but dont cost him the match for an adrenaline rush in the 2nd most physical sport there is. Every wrestler knows that every match he goes into he could get hurt thats part of the fun of wrestling, its as close to fighting in school you can get without getting in trouble.

Intentions have nothing to do with whether something is a slam or not. Glad a kid didnt mean it or the opponent did something different than you were expecting. Rules are clear, the offensive wrestler is responsible for bringing his opponent back to the mat safely, period,  end of story.

RULE 7 INFRACTIONS

SECTION 1 ILLEGAL HOLDS/MANEUVERS

ART. 1 . . . A slam is lifting and returning an opponent to the mat with unnecessary force. This infraction may be committed by a contestant in either the top or bottom position on the mat, as well as during a takedown. A slam shall be called without hesitation.

I was at a tournament a few weeks ago and the coach from Shelbyville was telling this story about this HWT from Madison that was really good and had gotten dq'd against them for an illegal slam... He couldn't think of his name for anything and was asking us who the kid was......

I then told him it was me....

I dont think the refs should have a say on slaming in a match unless one of the wrestlers is clearly the better athlete and is clearly doing it to show off. The reason I think this is if the kid who got slammed is neck and neck with the slammer, shouldnt he be the one to decide if he can't contiue to be dq'd or wants to be a real man and continue wrestling and just take 2 points for being slammed, make the slammer pay for the mistake but dont cost him the match for an adrenaline rush in the 2nd most physical sport there is. Every wrestler knows that every match he goes into he could get hurt thats part of the fun of wrestling, its as close to fighting in school you can get without getting in trouble.

Tell this to the parents of the wrestlers who went to the hospital.

In both these cases the " slammed" wrestlers were clearly overmatched.

I was at a tournament a few weeks ago and the coach from Shelbyville was telling this story about this HWT from Madison that was really good and had gotten dq'd against them for an illegal slam... He couldn't think of his name for anything and was asking us who the kid was......

I then told him it was me....

Haha.  Got about 1/3 of the way into that one and knew where that was going. 

There is not much you can say about it penalize the kid if it costs his team the match its on him...

As I told my son.  You are responsible for the safety of the other wrestler.

All I am saying.Somtimes things happen.  It is not always a vicious intentional act.

That doesnt matter...if I accidently lock ands for a split second and do it too many times im dqd thats the rules doesnt matter if i mean to or not

Not the point! Just tring to say that accidents do happen.  Not weather it should be punished or not.

That is not up for me or you to decide.  The guys in the stripes get paid to do that.

I was also at the match where the slam was called in the 220 pound weight class.  It is unfortunate that the other wrestler had to be taken to the hopital for precautionary reasons; however, to imply that it was intentional or an act that was intended to show off or hurt an overmatched wrestler is absurd.  Maybe i misread your post and you did not intend it to come across that way.  I know the kid that was dq'ed was simply trying to return the other wrestler to the mat.  They came down hard (it does happen in a physical sport like wrestling), he was called for a slam and dq'ed.  His team lost a chance at the county title, as did he, and it could possibly affect his seeding for the sectional tournament.  I don't think he needs to get beat up on indianamat as well!

RULE 7 INFRACTIONS

ART. 1 . . . A slam is lifting and returning an opponent to the mat with unnecessary force. This infraction may be committed by a contestant in either the top or bottom position on the mat, as well as during a takedown. A slam shall be called without hesitation.

So I guess the front headlock can become illegal, yet a conventional headlock used that chokes a person out it is  okay? because the person is on the mat completly unconscious

RULE 7 INFRACTIONS

So I guess the front headlock can become illegal, yet a conventional headlock used that chokes a person out it is  okay? because the person is on the mat completly unconscious

Is that observation or a suggestion?

7-1-5

ART. 5 ... Other Illegal Holds/maneuvers include but are not limited too: ...

d. Anyd headlock in which the arms or hands are locked around the opponent's headwithout encircling an arm (elbow or above) ...

g. holds/maneuvers putting pressure on the throat and/or carotid artery; ...

v. any hold/manuever with pressure exerted over the opponents mouth, nose, throat or neck that restrics breathing or circulation;

(condensed to show relevent parts)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.