How much weight to cut

jchas

Anyone have any story's of times in your career when you cut and when you didn't cut.

How much you did or didn't cut and what were your results.

Please compare your results to the highest level of possible. 

Oh God, I know this thread is going end, with me saying "you have to cut some weight to be competitive because the weight loss guidlines put forth by the ihsaa are a joke because everyone just goes around them" while karl hungus will say "every kid should wrestle near their walking around weight, to do otherwise is breaking the rules set forth by the ihsaa and it is more healthy to do so." Lol

I thought the thread would end with someone baby caking about his high school football coach being the reason why his team has no upper weights......

Gotta go to the thread titled Football coaches for that, lol!  Btw, i didnt start that thread, fyi, so im not the only one with that opinion.

While in high school I wrestled at 119, 125, and 130. My freshman/sophomore year didn't cut much weight at all maybe 8 lbs the entire season. Senior year was a different story coming in after football season cut from 145 to 125 for the first tourney of the year, needless to say I wrestled like crap and later in the day tech fall the kid that won the tourney later in the day. The following Monday at practice I wrestled off for 130 and stayed there the reminder of the season. In retrospect I should have started the season at 130 never cut that much weight again. I have my wresters now wrestle where they are comfortable and within 10 pounds of their normal weight. I am not to big on having kids "cut" weight. Pending of the body fat test that is where they wrestle.

My oldest cut 12 lbs his junior yr to get to 112 and 11 lbs his sr yr to get to 119.  Was he beyond the ihsaa guidelines? Im betting so. But i can tell you he was only "decent" sized at both of those weights.  No one ever looked at him and said that kid is sawing a leg off to get down.  If he wrestled only 5 lbs below his walking around weight it would have been difficult for him to enjoy the success he had.  And hes just fine now, no stunted growth or kidney failure, wierd i know. 

My junior year I cut from 120 to 103 it was hard and most likely against ihsaa rules, but I can tell you it wasn't unhealthy for me if anything I was slightly more tired, but my endurance and overall physic was at the top if its game and because of this I believe is the reason I had success my senior year was different I cut from 132 to 112 starting that year I had a lot more muscle and it was hard to cut that weight in the beginning I tried to make it to 103 but couldn't because of ihsaa rules I would say if you going to cut weight and your serious about wrestling push your self but don't hurt your self

Thanks to all of the guys who have taken the time to post on this.  It is very helpful.

If I had to just give you a number, I'd say 10 lbs on ANY kid is a safe amount of weight to drop.  My oldest was skin and bones when he went thru the cuts I outlined above. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.