How much weight to cut

jchas

My junior year i cut from 130 to 103 for the first tournament of the year. Lost twice, felt drained, but in the last match tech falled the kid. Coach from the other school seemed impressed and wanted to know what grade i was, and some other stuff. After that I moved up to 112. Senior year i dropped from 145 to 119... I didnt learn my lesson apparently and ended up getting upset at regionals.

I hope one day the people of our sport learn that grandstanding about weight loss is a terrible idea.

Whatever...  I don't think anyone here said that it was smart and would do it again. Actually I would imagine many of the people that have done a ton of cutting are more against it than those that didn't as much.  I coach kids and I am always the one telling them not to cut much.  If the kid has it to lose it will show on their fat test.  Then it is a matter of setting a goal for when they can get down to that weight.

I have seen more kids lose interest and desire to wrestle because of cutting too much weight than any other reason.

Teaching kids how to control their weight can be positive thing as long as it taught with proper nutrition.  Our society today is hurting because of obesity and finding a way to give kids knowledge about this subject can benefit them for the rest of their lives.

Interesting how I get "whatever"ed and then my point is supported.  There are posts on this very thread that simply state massive short-term weight loss.  Some point out that the decision was poor; there are plenty that do not. 

I guess what I support is probably along the lines of aoberlin but I think the example I stated was not of massive cutting but of sensible control.  I really believe a h.s. kid can lose 10 lbs safely regardless of what the IHSAA % test states.  That's why I think it's a joke.  I understand that a guideline has to be put in place but to hold it up as the chalice of virtue is silly.  Almost every kid works around that test.  My point is if my kid was beyond the IHSAA guideline but was not putting himself in harms way (which he wasn't and I'm not bragging about the amount of weight he lost) then I have no problem with the weight he lost regardless of what the IHSAA says.  Glad there is a standard in place because it probably does prevent the 30 to 40 pound cuts that used to be rampant in the sport but it's too restrictive, IMO (and I get the fact that coaches have to pay lip service to the guideline).  Listen, weight loss will continue to be an issue to be dealt with in this sport until mat side weigh ins are approved, something I support becasue then everyone would be forced to play by the same rules. 

Interesting how I get "whatever"ed and then my point is supported.  There are posts on this very thread that simply state massive short-term weight loss.  Some point out that the decision was poor; there are plenty that do not. 

Didn't mean to be rude.  The "whatever" was for the grandstanding comment.  I find it interesting to hear the stupidity of how much weight people have cut.  I know that you and I would totally agree on issues of weight.  Again sorry if you thought I was rude.

I am not offended.  I guess I have too often sat at wedding receptions, class reunions, and other social gatherings with guys who want to thump their chests at how much weight they cut in so little time.  The thought of high school and younger age kids hearing and being influenced by that makes me cringe.  I have rabbit ears for that the way some refs have for coaches being critical of their calls.  You are correct, we probably would agree on this issue, and I am glad we have cleared it up. 

I have rabbit ears for that the way some refs have for coaches being critical of their calls. 

A good case for why all refs should be required to wear headgear.  That way they can hear the coaches about as good as the wrestlers are able to.  ;D

A good case for why all refs should be required to wear headgear.  That way they can hear the coaches about as good as the wrestlers are able to.   ;D

hmm...I like your style...I have a wedding to attend in late December...perhaps I shall wear headgear to that...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.