Howe chooses...

Drooke

Can't get schollarship money if you transfer within the Big 10 is my guess....It is official, I have an acquantance on the OU Squad that confirmed they (Howe & Rutt) signed last week

Anybody know if he's gonna be back at 165 or is he going up to 174? Or how he is recovering from his knee injury?

I've heard from several different people he will move up to 174. I would say it's alot of speculation but it wouldn't surprise me. Also heard he already had the surgery on his knee. From personal experience i'd say not much more than 6-8 week recovery.

Pretty cool of Davis to grant him release & not drag this out.

Oklahoma, Deff a surprise. Would have loved to see Howe win his 4th Big 10 title!

174, I'd like to see him.at 65 with Taylor & possibly Dake, that would be a fun weight class to watch if all 3 were there! 

Good luck on the injury recovery Andrew & ill Deff be following you in the Sooner state!

This is not directed at Howe I only wish him the best.

Let me get this straight though.A wrestler can take a regular redshirt which is available to all NCAA athletes in their sport.Then the best of the best wrestlers can also take an Olympic redshirt in which they can spend an entire year concentrating completely on training for the Olympic trials. Though it freestyle it is the best training against the best training partners with no "burden" of academics. Then these "best of the best" get to transfer to pretty much the school of their choice since they have already  sat out a year. Even if they don't transfer  these top level wrestlers with a quantum leap of training and an extra year go back and compete as collegians against other wrestlers without that advantage.

Let me get this straight though.A wrestler can take a regular redshirt which is available to all NCAA athletes in their sport.Then the best of the best wrestlers can also take an Olympic redshirt in which they can spend an entire year concentrating completely on training for the Olympic trials. Though it freestyle it is the best training against the best training partners with no "burden" of academics. Then these "best of the best" get to transfer to pretty much the school of their choice since they have already  sat out a year. Even if they don't transfer  these top level wrestlers with a quantum leap of training and an extra year go back and compete as collegians against other wrestlers without that advantage.

It sounds so shady when you say it like that...but yes, that sums it up.

Then the best of the best wrestlers can also take an Olympic redshirt in which they can spend an entire year concentrating completely on training for the Olympic trials.

Criteria for Olympic redshirt:

1. Past Senior World and Olympic Team members

2. Top eight placewinner at the 2011 U.S. Senior World Team Trials

3. Top three placewinner at the 2011 NCAA Championships or NCAA champion from a previous year AND a top two finish at the 2011 University National Championships (must accomplish both).

So Howe didn't make the Olympic squad correct? In this day in age and the injuries he has had do you think he could be a contender for the next Olympics if he's healthy? I know there are a lot of variables here but can a guy stay in shape for that long? Gobel did it, Smith did it, Gardner did it but I just feel that Andrew is a "smasher" if you know what I mean yes is form and position are exceptional but can he keep his health for 4 more years? Time will tell but I sure hope so!

So Howe didn't make the Olympic squad correct? In this day in age and the injuries he has had do you think he could be a contender for the next Olympics if he's healthy? I know there are a lot of variables here but can a guy stay in shape for that long? Gobel did it, Smith did it, Gardner did it but I just feel that Andrew is a "smasher" if you know what I mean yes is form and position are exceptional but can he keep his health for 4 more years? Time will tell but I sure hope so!

Unfortunately, he's in the same weight class as the United States' best wrestler--world champion Jordan Burroughs.  Howe lost to him in the first match of the Olympic Trials finals best-of-3 series (4-2, 1-2, 1-0), while hurting his knee in the last 30 seconds.  He could not come back and wrestle the second match of the series. 

There are rumors that Burroughs is interested in going MMA.  Let's cheer hard for him to win gold this summer; maybe he'll win and then head that direction.  An argument could be made--as strong as Howe is against everyone else at his weight--that he is the 2nd or 3rd best wrestler at any weight in the United States and would be a gold medal contender at the Olympics.  He's just behind a buzz saw right now--but I'm confident we'll see him stay in shape and make a run at 2016.

Let me get this straight though.A wrestler can take a regular redshirt which is available to all NCAA athletes in their sport.

Correct, except for a few exceptions such as DIII athletes and Ivy League athletes.  Note that if an athlete takes a medical redshirt this would be covered here also.

Then the best of the best wrestlers can also take an Olympic redshirt in which they can spend an entire year concentrating completely on training for the Olympic trials. Though it freestyle it is the best training against the best training partners with no "burden" of academics.

Correct, this is for all Olympic sports such as swimming, gymnastics, track and field, etc. not just wrestling.

Then these "best of the best" get to transfer to pretty much the school of their choice since they have already  sat out a year.

False, if an athlete intends to transfer they would need to be released even though they sat out a year.  Both Howe and Rutt needed to ask Barry Davis/Wisconsin for a release in order to not jeopardize a year of eligibility.

Even if they don't transfer  these top level wrestlers with a quantum leap of training and an extra year go back and compete as collegians against other wrestlers without that advantage.

In that sense yes you are correct. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.