Too bad we are loosing team state

Rob Leavitt

First of all I wanted to say congratulations to Coach Tonte and the Perry Meridian Falcons. In my eyes, one of the best teams EVER in Indiana High School Wrestling.

Now...I don't understand why team state is being eliminated.  From what I have been told it is because the tournament is not financially viable.  Let's do some math...There seemed to be at least 2000 people at the state meet.  At $8 each, that is $16,000.  I don't know what the refs are getting paid but lets say $150 each.  That is $1200.  Say other workers are paid a total of around $1000 (just guestimating of course).  That leaves $13,800 just from ticket sales.  I am sure there are some other expenses we are not aware of such as printing the state booklet; however, I am confident that money is not lost on this event.

Forget about money, what an environment!  When it is said and done you have a true state champion.  I hate to go back to the days where a team could have 4 studs and win the state meet.  Not a true representation of what the best team in the state is.  I have been around and involved with IHSAA wrestling as a participant, coach, and official and wish we could keep the state meet the way it is.

Just my 2 cents.

I have no idea about the money (but I think, from what I've understood from these discussions, it was the Team State Tourney Series as a whole from Team Regional to Team State - which used to include a Team Semi-State- that was losing money overall)...but I agree 100% with the enviornment - today was great watching Bellmont and MD facing each other once again, every dual meet Crown Point wrestled in (those were some exciting, tight matches)...and hats off to Perry Meridian - they had a great showing today and earned that top spot. I will definitely miss Team State and hope to see it one day return...but I'm looking forward to seeing what the new classed tourney has to offer.

Team state wasn't losing money.  It was the fact that coaches made a mockery of the event and sent their JV squads or no one at all to regional and semi-state levels.  It also didn't help that the IHSWCA was adamant to hand out a trophy at individual state and have the scores announced to the crowd.

I hate to see Team State end also. We were only lucky enough to get there twice, but it was an unbelievable experience. The IHSWCA worked hard to get it and we didn't fight hard enough to keep it in the end.

To be honest, how many times did a team really put all their JV out there at the Regional Meet? I know it happened a few times, but not every year and not at every site. When it did happen the IHSAA wanted everyone (IHSAA Board Members) to think it happened every year and just about every site, which wasn't true. If it happened only 1 time it gave Blake fire power to use against the Team Tournament, which he opposed from the start. The Team Tournament was passed under Gardner's time as Commissioner.

In 1994, when the Team Tournament was proposed, the IHSAA said the Individual tournament would stay the same and lead us to believe that to mean keep score and crown a champ (Gardner was Commissioner). Ress became Commissioner and was against Team State from the time he was wrestling's Assistant Commissioner representative. In 1996 we were told that there would be no score at Individual State and only the Team State Champion recognized by the IHSAA. It was a shock to the wrestling coaches.

The IHSWCA asked if we could keep score and crown a champion for the Individual Tournament. They said yes but not to announce scores or present a trophy at the IHSAA sponsored event, which the IHSWCA did not do. The Team Champion, Runner-up Team and third place team were announced the next day at the IHSWCA Hall of Fame Banquet.

The IHSAA never said they had a problem with it until last year, and last year there was no team score or trophies awarded to the Hall of Fame Banquet. This year was the same.

Scores were never announced at the Individual Tournament. The ironic thing is Blake and Bobby always asked what the score was through out the tournament.

I'm going to hit this again because I can't believe more people are not viewing this.

It tells me a lot of why we lost it - no body cares - except if it might favor my teams chances.

I don't get how so many people are into this new IHSWCA Team Tournament next year that is invite only.

How can anybody accept that we lost a IHSAA sactioned team tournament that every team in Indiana had a chance to participate in?

Now we can have our own tournament, by invite only,  and say a state champion is decided. And we like that?

Because its proposed as class now?

All the criteria is based on what a team did this year. Who knows what weight a kid will be next year, who knows what team will come out of the shadows and be really good and not make it based on last year multiplier effect.

If you think the old system was flawed, so is this system.

Who really cares if you win the IHSWCA team dual tournament and not the IHSAA sactioned tournament?

The only tournament that matters is the IHSAA STATE Tournament and the Blue Ring!

So like Ive said before this is no more than another Super Dual tournament championship and that is that.

This is just my opinion. We should have fought harder to keep OUR Team Dual Tournament sanctioned by the IHSAA.

It is something that we lost and I don't think will ever get back until the IHSAA decides to change it.

I don't think they will because the other individual sports have a team champion, so why give us a team champion in both individual and team. They don't care about class in individual sports, until they want to.

If we think that down he road we can propose a team tournament to the IHSAA based on this tournament you are crazy. They first argument will be, yes you have had a class team tournament, but not all schools are included.

The IHSAA will ask how can we do this with all our members included?

Thats the problem - if we could have kept it, we might have been able to eventually got a class team dual tournament added to the one that we had. Now its gone so we have nothing to build on.

In a perfect world I guess class team state would be part of it, but its not.

I think class is the biggest reason team state was not fought for by our coaches.

A lot of coaches felt they never had a chance, so who cares.

The only problem is now we have nothing to build on. If we still had Team State we might have something to build on.

I have no problem with Team State as it was, and I have no problem with fighting for a class team state.

Its gone now so we have nothing to fight for, like it was or class.

I will support the IHSWCA TEAM STATE , but I think it is going to go no further than just another glorified super dual.

We should have not let it go so easily. We played right into the IHSAA's plan.

That's just my opinion

I'm going to hit this again because I can't believe more people are not viewing this.

It tells me a lot of why we lost it - no body cares - except if it might favor my teams chances.

I don't get how so many people are into this new IHSWCA Team Tournament next year that is invite only.

How can anybody accept that we lost a IHSAA sactioned team tournament that every team in Indiana had a chance to participate in?

Now we can have our own tournament, by invite only,  and say a state champion is decided. And we like that?

All the criteria is based on what a team did this year. Who knows what weight a kid will be next year, who knows what team will come out of the shadows and be really good and not make it based on last year multiplier effect.

Who really cares if you win the IHSWCA team dual tournament and not the IHSAA sactioned tournament?

The only tournament that matters is the IHSAA STATE Tournament and the Blue Ring!

So like Ive said before this is no more than another Super Dual tournament championship and that is that.

This is just my opinion. We should have fought harder to keep OUR Team Dual Tournament sanctioned by the IHSAA.

It is something that we lost and I don't think will ever get back until the IHSAA decides to change it.

I don't think they will because the other individual sports have a team champion, so why give us a team champion in both individual and team. They don't care about class in individual sports, until they want to.

If we think that down he road we can propose a team tournament to the IHSAA based on this tournament you are crazy. They first argument will be, yes you have had a class team tournament, but not all schools are included.

Thats the problem - if we could have kept it, we might have been able to eventually got a class team dual tournament added to the one that we had. Now its gone so we have nothing to build on.

I think class is the biggest reason team state was not fought for by our coaches.

The only problem is now we have nothing to build on. If we still had Team State we might have something to build on.

I have no problem with Team State as it was, and I have no problem with fighting for a class team state.

I will support the IHSWCA TEAM STATE , but I think it is going to go no further than just another glorified super dual.

That's just my opinion

I'm just quoting this because I agree.  This year was my first time ever going to watch team state.  It was an awesome thing to watch, the gym was packed and energetic, it was good for the sport.  It is a shame that it is gone. 

My high school made it down there one year and it was a HUGE deal. I agree with Y2 because of the coaches lack of taking there real team to the meets. The big teams this year(PM, Cath, EMD CP, etc.) all bump, move, adjust, whatever you want to call it to help there team win. If that means you #1 ranked wrestler cant make weight on Wednesday and Saturday then so be it? Bump'em up and slide someone else in. Think to yourself that the #1 wrestler will make up any points that the replacement may give up. Try something called coaching. If your worried about that #1 wrestler getting hurt, well guess what he could walk out there first round of sectional against a 11-19 wrestler and get hurt. I think team state is good for the sport. I do also like the effort that is being put in to getting another "team state." But now those same coaches that took a whole team of JV's or 6 total wrestlers to team regional will only worry about those 4 or 5 guys that could help his team look good at state. This is not good for the sport. But lets keep letting the basketball tournaments be the same? Why dont we tell those teams because Washington school had Cody Z last year they are the champs just because they should be not because they earned it.

That's just my opinion

I find it funny that you complain how no one cares about Team State unless their team is there because I do not recall seing a lot of Castle fans in attendance or staying around for the finals during the years you were not there.  Many people who were never able to attend team state feel the exact way about it as you do about IHSWCA Team State, that it was a glorified Super Dual.  And you ask how are we suppose to accept losing Team State, well what else are we suppose to do.  You can say we should have fought harder, but that is in the PAST and since the IHSAA has already ruled to end it there is nothing we can do!! So the IHSWCA took it upon themselves to try and continue team state, with some tweaks, so we can keep a good thing going.  I am surprised that you are so negative against it because the alternative is to have nothing.  I dont agree with everything, but I know it is a start and will be able to be tweaked and changed over time to work out the kinks.

Yes, I am saddened to see team state go but I am hoping this new system can flourish and grow into a great piece of Indiana wrestling.

I am guessing they are into it because it gives smaller schools a REALISTIC TEAM GOAL to reach for.  I understand that reaching team state was a realistic goal for the Castle's and Perry Meridians of the world but coaching at Fremont, Milan, and Bremen is much different.

Participate and theoretically contend are two different animals.  I, selfishly, would rather contend for a 1A IHSWCA state dual title than watch the same 10-12 schools battle it out the old way.  I am guessing many of my small school colleagues feel the same.

Now we can have our own tournament, by invite only,  and say a state champion is decided. And we like that?

It is best model I can think of based on the limited criteria the IHSAA is giving us to work with.  Would an inseason qualifier be better?  Yes

Would a later date be better? Probably.

YES! YES!! and YES!!!

Very true.  There are some built in safety nets for those surprise teams.  Certainly not ideal, but better then letting the dual TEAM format die.

Culver Community certainly cares.  We have a slim but outside shot of qualifying for the wildcard slot.  This is a tremendous TEAM building motivator for both coaches and wrestlers.

If it doesn't matter to you then don't participate and if you are wrestling for rings then I suggest you need to reevaluate why you are coaching.  If the Castle team beats Kokomo, Merrillville, and Perry Meridian in one day, I would hope that would take pride in calling yourself state champs.  Just because you didn't beat Boonville 76-0 doesn't lessen the acheivement.

Not true for Culver Community

I choose not to think this negatively about the IHSAA.  I realize you have a lot more experience dealing with them but I also see soccer coaches getting a classed tournament so I choose to think that with the right approach positive changes can be made.

If we think that down he road we can propose a team tournament to the IHSAA based on this tournament you are crazy.

Why crazy?  This is the nearly the exact model that Ohio has recently adopted.

They first argument will be, yes you have had a class team tournament, but not all schools are included.

Michigan does it as well as many other states.  I have no doubt that it is doable.

I think the IHSWCA model is fine to build off of.  Ohio did it and now the state has adopted it.

This sounds like you are blaming the small schools for the loss of team state.  That is crazy IMO.

I disagree.  We know have a model that gives many more small and medium sized schools a realistic shot at a team state championship.  The IHSWCA had 17 years to fight for a classed team state and nothing happened so why not try a different approach.

That's just my opinion

It doesn't sound like you are very supportive...

Team state wasn't losing money.  It was the fact that coaches made a mockery of the event and sent their JV squads or no one at all to regional and semi-state levels.  It also didn't help that the IHSWCA was adamant to hand out a trophy at individual state and have the scores announced to the crowd.

Come on.  Really?  The coaches made a mockery of the event because it was setup wrong in the first place.  If something is not working you don't just throw it all away unless you really really don't care.  They have showed no signs of wanting work with us over the years and I would expect nothing less. 

That's just my opinion

this is funny considering that Castle sent their JV to team regional one year and got beat 70-2 by MD.

The scoring system for the IHSWCA event makes it almost entirely based on performance.  If your team (especially your underclassmen) performs in the individual state series, you go to the duals tourney. 

If we had used this system last year, we would have had 7 of this year's top 8 in 3A and 2A and 6 of the top 8 in 1A in the duals tournament this year.  The top 5 in all 3 classes would have been there.  This is even better than the IHSAA system usually did with its geographically strict system.  Our system of scoring your projected strength works well.

I understand it would be very exciting if we had a way to have an 'all-in' duals tournament, but how is having 24 invited into the duals tournament versus having 32 invited THAT different?  And we get the class thing everyone wants?  I really think it's worth giving the IHSWCA event a chance.  Anything in life has meaning if we give it meaning.  The proverbial tree falling in the forest makes a very loud noise if everyone is there to hear it.  The associated press used to determine the national champion in football based on press voting.  Now everyone considers the champion to be the BCS champion despite the fact that the AP still crowns a champion that might be different.  Does anyone care about the press vote now?  They're both just entities.  If we're getting the best teams together to wrestle, based on their wrestlers' performance in real matches...why does it have to be meaningless because the acronym on the organizing body is different?  I don't get this idea.

I support it.  Having attended a small school and coached at one, I barely knew what team state was.  It sure was not realistic for my team to make it.  This gives a chance for all schools to contend.  I mean what a way to build wrestling through our state.  If I can tell my students at pep sessions and banquets and by word of mouth that we are invited to compete for a stae chamionship, you would have to assume that would motivate a kid to come out for wrestling who might not in a different situation.  I do not see how it hurts anything.   

HSTN channel just showed the IHSAA State bowling championship s in Individual and Team. Those 100 people in the audience sure were cheering. I bet there was a ton of profit made there.

funny considering there is no ihsaa bowling state championship.

i used to be against a classed wrestling team championship but i do think it is fair.  not sure if 3 classes is the way to go, think it should be 2 classes much like soccer.

this is a start though and maybe if it gets built, the ihsaa will adopt it.

I just want to give some context to how talented our IHSWCA event will be next year.

The 2 toughest regular season tournaments, Al Smith and Connersville, have 23 and 15 returning SQ's from this past year respectively. Of the 19 teams that have secured bids for our IHSWCA event, there will be 36 returning SQ's. That's almost as many as the Al Smith and Connersville COMBINED. With 5 selections pending, that number will only grow.

Bellmont Duals is probably the most anticipated and talented dual event on a yearly basis, outside of IHSAA team state. There are 15 returning SQ's from that event.  The teams that advanced to IHSAA team state, the dual event that crowns our champion of Indiana, have 20 total returnees. Our IHSWCA 3A event, alone, will have 24 returning SQ's. With 1 selection pending, that number will only grow.

Take a look at the teams that are actually in the event. In 3A, you won't find a team that is or has not been a team state caliber/contending team. At the 1A and 2A levels, there will be at least 10 new teams that'll get to experience a "team state atmosphere." These teams will get to wrestle side-by-side with Perry Meridian, Mater Dei, Cathedral, Crown Point and feel the electricity from their fanbases. Which is something that never happened under the IHSAA model.

We have something that has the POTENTIAL to be better. I put alot of emphasis on potential because it's up to us as an Indiana wrestling community to make it what we want it to be. If we want it to be "just another super dual" then it will be just that. If we want it to be our Team State, then it will be that. If we are going to be apathetic, then it will fall apart.

md92 - I went back and looked at every team regional scorebook (I have all my scorebooks from the last 31 years) and we never wrestled a jv team in the team regionals.

Your statement suggest we wrestled a full jv team at team regionals and that never happened. In 2001 we did wrestle 8 varsity and 6 jv. Like a lot of teams you have the flu,  injuries and even the funk.

If you would like to come and see my records and show me when we wrestled a full jv team come on over to Newburgh.

AJ - Castle had one of the largest crowds at team state both years we made it there. The Semi-Final Perry Meridian dual was the loudest with both schools fans getting into it the first year. The second year Castle fans filled both sides on the bottom section and again had the loudest most exciting semi-final meet with Yorktown.

Y2 - we did propose class, but it was made very clear (just like wrestlebacks) it would not happen until the IHSAA was ready to class all Individual sports.

I have no problem with classing team state. The problem is its up the IHSAA and they are not ready to class individual sports yet.

I will be interested to see if the IHSAA will make any changes to the Individual tournament now that team dual is gone. Who knows maybe they will now look at wrestlebacks at regional and semi-state.

I'll support it by joining the association like always and my membership dues will help finance the event.

I hope the event works out and in the future we have team dual state again. Sad thing is I don't think it will return before my career ends.

md92 - I went back and looked at every team regional scorebook (I have all my scorebooks from the last 31 years) and we never wrestled a jv team in the team regionals.

Your statement suggest we wrestled a full jv team at team regionals and that never happened. In 2001 we did wrestle 8 varsity and 6 jv. Like a lot of teams you have the flu,  injuries and even the funk.

If you would like to come and see my records and show me when we wrestled a full jv team come on over to Newburgh.

AJ - Castle had one of the largest crowds at team state both years we made it there. The Semi-Final Perry Meridian dual was the loudest with both schools fans getting into it the first year. The second year Castle fans filled both sides on the bottom section and again had the loudest most exciting semi-final meet with Yorktown.

Y2 - we did propose class, but it was made very clear (just like wrestlebacks) it would not happen until the IHSAA was ready to class all Individual sports.

I have no problem with classing team state. The problem is its up the IHSAA and they are not ready to class individual sports yet.

I will be interested to see if the IHSAA will make any changes to the Individual tournament now that team dual is gone. Who knows maybe they will now look at wrestlebacks at regional and semi-state.

I'll support it by joining the association like always and my membership dues will help finance the event.

I hope the event works out and in the future we have team dual state again. Sad thing is I don't think it will return before my career ends.

Never said that you send a full JV.  Point is, if you field that is half JV, you are making a mockery of the event.  72-2 and 74-0 speaks volumes.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.