Spartan Classic - Dec 28-29

FC118

32 teams are again entered in the Spartan Classic which will be held at the historic Spartan Bowl located at Connersville Middle School on December 28-29.

Teams entered include:

Batesville

Bedford No. Lawrence

Beech Grove

Carroll (Ft. Wayne)

Cathedral

Centerville

Columbus North

Connersville

Dekalb

Evansville F.J. Reitz

Evansville North

Franklin County

Ft. Wayne North Side

Greenfield-Central

Hagerstown

Hamilton Heights

Indian Creek

Indpls. Arlington

Indpls. Broad Ripple

Indpls. North Central

Lebanon

Milan

Northeastern

Pendleton Heights

Preble Shawnee

Richmond

Roncalli

South Dearborn

Triton Central

Union County

Valparaiso

Western

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

32 teams are again entered in the Spartan Classic which will be held at the historic Spartan Bowl located at Connersville Middle School on December 28-29.

Teams entered include:

Batesville

Bedford No. Lawrence

Beech Grove

Carroll (Ft. Wayne)

Cathedral

Centerville

Columbus North

Connersville

Dekalb

Evansville F.J. Reitz

Evansville North

Franklin County

Ft. Wayne North Side

Greenfield-Central

Hagerstown

Hamilton Heights

Indian Creek

Indpls. Arlington

Indpls. Broad Ripple

Indpls. North Central

Lebanon

Milan

Northeastern

Pendleton Heights

Preble Shawnee

Richmond

Roncalli

South Dearborn

Triton Central

Union County

Valparaiso

Western

I think the teams have changed some since last year. I know Knightstown is there this year and were not previously...I also think there area couple other new teams...not for sure...can anybody spread some light on this??

I think the teams have changed some since last year. I know Knightstown is there this year and were not previously...I also think there area couple other new teams...not for sure...can anybody spread some light on this??

I know Evansville North will not be there.

The Spartan Classic Preview

A strong Roncalli (2a Champion) team looks to defend it?s 2010 over-all title at this year?s event in Connersville, IN. The Classic is scheduled for Dec. 28 and 29th. Participating teams are the following; Arlington, Batesville, Bedford North Lawrence, Beech Grove, Broad Ripple, Carroll (Ft. Wayne), Cathedral, Centerville, Columbus North, Connersville, Dekalb, East Noble, Evansville F. J. Reitz, Franklin County, Ft. Wayne North Side, Greenfield-Central, Hagerstown, Hamilton Heights, Indian Creek, Knightstown, Lebanon, Milan, North Central, Northeastern, Pendleton Heights, Preble Shawnee, Richmond, Roncalli, Triton Central, Union County, Valparaiso and Western.

Evansville Reitz (3a champion) battled to the very end last year as they were runner-up by a mere 4.5 points. The also return a strong team to the field this year and look to claim the top spot. Indian Creek won the 1a title but lost many of their big guns. Other teams to watch, Pendelton Heights, Connersville, Cathedral and Greenfield Central.

In individual action the toughest weight class on paper is 120 pounds. It boasts, Mason Todd (Pendelton Heights), 2010 state champion at 112, and 4 others that have made the trip to Conseco. At 126 you have 2x State Champ, Cody Phillips (Union County, he is always fun to watch. Other guys to keep an eye on Gideon VanHook (Reitz), Blake Rueger (Reitz), Brian Harvey (Cathedral, #1 Ranked 170lber Tyler Willis (Cathedral), Spencer Raypole (FW Carroll) and Keith Knura (Indian Creek).

The great thing about this tourney is that it is so unpredictable. Good luck to all teams and wrestlers.

Last year it appeared they separated the top 4-6 in each weight then blind draw the rest, normally has been a complete draw, but thankfully they did something for the good of it an hope it continues.

Does anybody know when they will have brackets ready for the tourney, just wondering ;D

At best probably the day before or morning of, Connersville just got internet last year,  ::)

Last year it appeared they separated the top 4-6 in each weight then blind draw the rest, normally has been a complete draw, but thankfully they did something for the good of it an hope it continues.

I like the complete blind draw....makes interesting when some of the studs meet up in the first or second round...as far as brackets...I bet nobody sees them until the morning of....and they are sure to change with 32 teams there and wrestlers out for injury, sickness, miss weight, etc.

From the current state rankings thier are 35 ranked wrestler that will be wrestling in the classic and I think I missed a few. 

Here are the ranked guys that I found...sorry if I missed any:

106: #4 Kuhn

113: #6 Buckley , #8 Frane, #10 Harvey, #12 King

120: #1 Todd, #6 Krumlauf, #8 Gettinger, #9 Johns

126: #2Phillips, #7 VanHook

132: #6 Moody, #14 Larson

138: #3 James, #6 Venezia, #8 Farrell,  #16 Hupp

145: #5 Corsaro

152: #2 Rueger, #12 Gillum

160:#2 Harvey

170: #1 Willis, #7 King, #10 McGinley, #12 Ardizzone

182: #13 Albertson

195: #3 Raypole, #6 Early, #14 Nickell

220: #2 Knura, #10 Kinney, #11 Douglass, #14 Gearlds

285: #5 Walker, #6 Bernard

I think that's all. Looks like there are some deep weight classes...I'm sure there will be others who aren't ranked that will make some noise as well.

Toughest weight class?

I think it will be 138 when adding in McCoy from Franklin County, undefeated an Jeff Classic winner and Cody Handley from Northeastern, undefeated an winner at ECIC defeating ranked Blanton. 

Toughest weight class?

I think it will be 138 when adding in McCoy from Franklin County, undefeated an Jeff Classic winner and Cody Handley from Northeastern, undefeated an winner at ECIC defeating ranked Blanton. 

I agree that 138 will be the toughest weight....should make for a fun two days.

As far as VanHook upsetting Phillips...haha good one!

Predicted Champs

106-Kuhn

113-King

120-Todd

126-Phillips

132-Moody

138-Venizia

145-Corsaro

152-Gillum

160-Harvey

170-Willis

182-Albertson (dont know anybody else in this weightclass but probably most likely to get upset)

195-Raypole

220-Knur but Kinney is right there

285-Benard

I like the complete blind draw....makes interesting when some of the studs meet up in the first or second round...as far as brackets...I bet nobody sees them until the morning of....and they are sure to change with 32 teams there and wrestlers out for injury, sickness, miss weight, etc.

I do not believe making things interesting should ever support a blind draw. Having rankings provides the structure necessary to allow upsets when feasible. With that said, there is no reason to ever provide the opportunity for the best two wrestlers in a weight class to randomly draw each other in the first round of a tournament. I do enjoy watching a lower ranked wrestler upset another, but a #1 should never have the opportunity to remove a #2's chances at at achieving his rightful place in the first round. Take it or leave it, but that is my mindset.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.