Marion County

zachpierson

Marion county is this weekend should be some awesome matches. Just wish cathedral would take roncalli's lead and come join the county that would make this tourney that much tougher. What's everyone's predictions? Seeding meeting tonight I'll post once I get the seeds

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ranked teams at the Marion County Tournament are #1 Perry Meridian, #4 Roncalli and #17 Warren Central.

Ranked individuals include:

106: #1 Nathan Boston (LN),  #5 Jacob Cottey (PM)

113: #3 Brandon James (PM), #7 CJ Whitten (BD), #15 Josh King (Ron)

120: #11 Aiden Kenny (PM), #12 Alex Sparks (LN), #14 David Ramirez (WC)

126: #4 Cody LeCount (PM), #8 Robert Boston (LN)

132: #2 Jared McKinley (PM), #3 Levi Moss (BD)

138: #2 Nick Bova (PM), #3 Conner James (Ron)

145: #14 Riley McClurg (PM)

152: #9 Kyle Reidling (WC), #10 Clayton Davenport (BD), #11 Tre Spencer (Pike)

160: #1 Kirk Johnson (PM)

170: #2 Jake Masengale (PM), #12 Joe Ardizzone (Ron)

182: #13 Damon Albertson (Ron), #14 CJ Martin (PM)

195: #16 Mason Nickell (Ron)

220: #12 Jordan Naughton (PM)

285: #8 Donte Winfield, #10 Larry Carter (WC), #12 Jared Schall (Spw), #13 Tre Taylor (BD)

seeding meeting is tonight and there should be some great matches...or rematches!

the falcons have a real good chance at 10-11 champs......gotta be a record?? does anyone know for sure most marion co. champs same team

i think the most for perry is 6 or 7. i am sure the LN teams in the early 90's had comparable numbers or the beech groves in the late 90's

I don't think any team has produced more than 7 champions. Perry Meridian did this in the 2007 tournament with the champions being 112 Jimmy Schoettle, 125 Chris Goodwin, 135 Jacob Tasseff, 140 John Leonard, 152 Chris Stepp, 215 Chris Schaefer and 285 Chico Adams. They also had runners-up at 130 Brian Vest, 145 Blake Wood and 160 Cory Hudgins.

I agree that 120 will be worth the price of admission. When Roncalli's 9-2 Barry McGinley (a state qualifier at 103 last year) is the #6 seed, then I would say any one of six wrestlers could win this weight class. Those 6 are Rliey Newkirk (LC), Alex Sparks (LN), David Ramirez (WC), Andrice Martin (FC), Aiden Kenny (PM) and McGinley. It should be a good battle between Cottey (PM) and Whitten (BD) to see who wrestles #1 and defending state champion Nathan Boston (LN) at 106. Freshmen phenom Brandon James appears to be the class of the field at 113. He is undefeated and owns a fall over #2 seed King of Roncalli. 120 has already been mentioned, so if we look at 126 we see potential semi matches between 12-0 Cody LeCount (PM) and 16-1 Angelo Robles (DC) and in the other bracket undefeated Max Brutus (LC) and 11-1 Robert Boston (LN). At 132 we have another defending state champion in Jared McKinley (PM) and possible final match up with #3 ranked Levi Moss (BD). 138 has the possibility of a rematch of last weekend's thrilling ot match between undefeated Nick Bova (PM) and 12-1 Conner James (Ron). At 145, 9-0 Riley McClurg (PM) leads a balanced field that includes 15-2 Brian Boucher (Spt), 12-1 Nick Ader (Ron) and 15-1 Shabaka Johns (WC). Expect the champ to come from this group. 152 Kyle Reidling 6-0 (WC) is the top seed. Expect challanges from 11-1 Tre Spencer (Pike), 11-1 Logan Zielinski (Ron) and 14-1 Tre'von Sevion (BG). At 160, Kirk Jonson (PM) is the prohibitive favorite. He is undefeated, a 2-time 4th place winner at state and ranked #1 this season. But don't expect Danny Rojas (Ron) or undefeated Will Clinkscales (NC) to simply hand the title over. 170 seems destined to be a rematch of a 1 point contest from last Saturday with Jake Masengale (PM) holding the slimest of edges over Joe Ardizzone (Ron). Katrell Moss (WC) or Dominique Robinson (LC) could challenge that rematch. At 182 Damon Albertson (Ron) leads the way, but we should see challenges from undefeated Darrell Hogue (NC), 13-1 Tony Jehn (BG) or 1-loss wrestlers Aaron Murray (PK) and CJ Martin (PM). At 195 Devante Ash (PM) has the top seed, but southside rivals Nolan Fenwick (Spt) and Mason Nickell (Ron) will provide plenty of competition. Jordan Naughton (PM) is seeded first, but a trio of 1-loss wrestlers, Myron Hamilton (LC), Jaylan Douglass (NC) ans Justin Sanders (Pike) will chase him. Finally, at 285 3 ranked wrestlers take the mat led by #8 and top seeded Donte Winfield (PM). Challanging him will be #10 Larry Carter (WC) and #12 Jared Schall (Spw). Sandwiched in there is 5-1 Guy Henson (BD) and it should make for a good competition. On paper, Perry Meridian would have to be the team favorite followed by Roncalli and Warren Central. But as we all know, we don't wrestle on paper. Best of luck to all wrestlers.

I agree that 120 will be worth the price of admission. When Roncalli's 9-2 Barry McGinley (a state qualifier at 103 last year) is the #6 seed, then I would say any one of six wrestlers could win this weight class. Those 6 are Rliey Newkirk (LC), Alex Sparks (LN), David Ramirez (WC), Andrice Martin (FC), Aiden Kenny (PM) and McGinley. It should be a good battle between Cottey (PM) and Whitten (BD) to see who wrestles #1 and defending state champion Nathan Boston (LN) at 106. Freshmen phenom Brandon James appears to be the class of the field at 113. He is undefeated and owns a fall over #2 seed King of Roncalli. 120 has already been mentioned, so if we look at 126 we see potential semi matches between 12-0 Cody LeCount (PM) and 16-1 Angelo Robles (DC) and in the other bracket undefeated Max Brutus (LC) and 11-1 Robert Boston (LN). At 132 we have another defending state champion in Jared McKinley (PM) and possible final match up with #3 ranked Levi Moss (BD). 138 has the possibility of a rematch of last weekend's thrilling ot match between undefeated Nick Bova (PM) and 12-1 Conner James (Ron). At 145, 9-0 Riley McClurg (PM) leads a balanced field that includes 15-2 Brian Boucher (Spt), 12-1 Nick Ader (Ron) and 15-1 Shabaka Johns (WC). Expect the champ to come from this group. 152 Kyle Reidling 6-0 (WC) is the top seed. Expect challanges from 11-1 Tre Spencer (Pike), 11-1 Logan Zielinski (Ron) and 14-1 Tre'von Sevion (BG). At 160, Kirk Jonson (PM) is the prohibitive favorite. He is undefeated, a 2-time 4th place winner at state and ranked #1 this season. But don't expect Danny Rojas (Ron) or undefeated Will Clinkscales (NC) to simply hand the title over. 170 seems destined to be a rematch of a 1 point contest from last Saturday with Jake Masengale (PM) holding the slimest of edges over Joe Ardizzone (Ron). Katrell Moss (WC) or Dominique Robinson (LC) could challenge that rematch. At 182 Damon Albertson (Ron) leads the way, but we should see challenges from undefeated Darrell Hogue (NC), 13-1 Tony Jehn (BG) or 1-loss wrestlers Aaron Murray (PK) and CJ Martin (PM). At 195 Devante Ash (PM) has the top seed, but southside rivals Nolan Fenwick (Spt) and Mason Nickell (Ron) will provide plenty of competition. Jordan Naughton (PM) is seeded first, but a trio of 1-loss wrestlers, Myron Hamilton (LC), Jaylan Douglass (NC) ans Justin Sanders (Pike) will chase him. Finally, at 285 3 ranked wrestlers take the mat led by #8 and top seeded Donte Winfield (PM). Challanging him will be #10 Larry Carter (WC) and #12 Jared Schall (Spw). Sandwiched in there is 5-1 Guy Henson (BD) and it should make for a good competition. On paper, Perry Meridian would have to be the team favorite followed by Roncalli and Warren Central. But as we all know, we don't wrestle on paper. Best of luck to all wrestlers.

Great preview coach

great preview coach......

im stickin to my original thought after lookin at the brackets, in sayin that there will be a new record of champs by same team and i will go a step further and say that it will never be broken.

i believe this is one of the best high school teams from top to bottom i have ever seen.........the falcons should have 9-11 champs which is unheard of in my time since the late 80s.

its just really sad to me that they are ending team state because i believe the falcons were about to run a very long string of titles, counting last year i dont think im too far out on a limb by saying they could win 6-7 out of 10.

i will end by saying good luck to everyone wrestling 152 and 182 because between the falcons and nathan boston the rest look sewed up to me........lol just kiddin......but not really

Concerning Beech Grove historically, as far as most champions in the county tournament, I believe it was 2001 that Beech Grove had 11 in the finals and 8 champions.  Please don't quote me on it.  But if I remember right it was the team with Hobbs, Gibson, Price, and Baker.

Here is a link for anyone that interested to know:

http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/indystar/access/1911043481.html?FMT=ABS&FMTS=ABS:FT&type=current&date=Dec+16%2C+2001&author=MARK+AMBROGI&pub=Indianapolis+Star&edition=&startpage=C.15&desc=Hornets+abuzz+over+inspiring+win

Its the history major in me- pursuing primary sources.  Small fee too look at the article.  But Beech Grove probably had their best County performance during the 2001 season.

Concerning Beech Grove historically, as far as most champions in the county tournament, I believe it was 2001 that Beech Grove had 11 in the finals and 8 champions.  Please don't quote me on it.  But if I remember right it was the team with Hobbs, Gibson, Price, and Baker.

Here is a link for anyone that interested to know:

http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/indystar/access/1911043481.html?FMT=ABS&FMTS=ABS:FT&type=current&date=Dec+16%2C+2001&author=MARK+AMBROGI&pub=Indianapolis+Star&edition=&startpage=C.15&desc=Hornets+abuzz+over+inspiring+win

Its the history major in me- pursuing primary sources.  Small fee too look at the article.  But Beech Grove probably had their best County performance during the 2001 season.

Not so sure that's correct I was in that county and I would've remembered that I think

Going from memory I think Wes graduated in the 99 and Price, Baker, and Greg Bradley graduated in 00.  They had a pretty good team in 00-01, but there team in the 97-98 was one of their best, probably Greg Bradley's Sophmore year, when Stephen was still there, Wes Gibson, Nathan Challis, Zach Short, Ryan Williams, and some others that I can't think of off the top of my head.

In 1995, Beech Grove had 7 champs in Nathan Challis (112), Steven Bradley (125),  Tim Bradley (130), Brent Souzzi (135), Chad Todd (145), Kyle Gilliam (152) and Brock Bowsher (171) as well as runners up John Hardy (140) and Mike Denton (215) for a total of 9 finalists. In 2001 BG had champs Josh Harris (112),  Brian Edwards (125), Chris Haynes (160) and Joey Wright (275). In 2004 Lawrence North had a juggarnaut that put 10 in the finals with Josh Leppink 2nd (112), Tyler Pino champ (119), David Gans champ (125), Michael Albert champ (130), Reece Humphrey champ (135), Zach Aspling 2nd (140), Thomas Johnson champ (145), Ben Walker 2nd (152), Alex Burr 2nd (189), Mo Gunn champ (275). I am still looking for the brackets from 96 and 97 so stay tuned.

so its lookin like 6-7 champs is the most........im sure the falcons will have 8 and i can seriously say so.....evrything else i was kinda jokin but i really dont think 9-10 is too far a stretch

thanks for the info coach......i truly figured the falcons could set a record this year

should be some good matches and i came up with 8 champs for falcons possibley 220 and 138 also

106 boston LN over Whitten BD

113 james PM over king Ron

120 newkirk LC over mcginley Ron

126 lecount PM over boston LN

132 mckinley PM over moss BD

138 james Ron over bova PM

145 mcclurg PM over ader Ron

152 rieldling WC over zielinski Ron

160 johnson PM over rojas Ron

170 massengale PM over ardizzone Ron

182 albertson Ron over hague NC

195 ash PM over nickell Ron

220 sanders PK over naughton PM

HWT winfield PM over carter WC

should be some good matches and i came up with 8 champs for falcons possibley 220 and 138 also

106 boston LN over Whitten BD

113 james PM over king Ron

120 newkirk LC over mcginley Ron

126 lecount PM over boston LN

132 mckinley PM over moss BD

138 james Ron over bova PM

145 mcclurg PM over ader Ron

152 rieldling WC over zielinski Ron

160 johnson PM over rojas Ron

170 massengale PM over ardizzone Ron

182 albertson Ron over hague NC

195 ash PM over nickell Ron

220 sanders PK over naughton PM

HWT winfield PM over carter WC

At 120 Martin from FC will be right in there...He had a loss at the CCC that he should have won over Kinney. Blown calls by officials gave the match to Kinney. Not taking anything away from Kinney because he is a very good wrestler that stuck to the game plan. Even though he was given the win, he lost.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.