Hall of Fame Classic Proposal Please read it and then call it STUPID

Coach Peck

I wanted to take a moment to post a link to a Proposal for a Hall of Fame Classic.  Although this idea has been called DUMB and STUPID by at least one individual I cannot figure out how they can really know if it is anything at all since they were not at the meeting when it was discussed and have not seen the entire proposal.  It has been mentioned that the original IHSWCA Team State (merely a glorified Invitational) was brought up at the Fall Clinic and no one opposed it.  This is true, but without proper time to look at the Proposal and think about the pluses and minuses it would notbe possible to make intelligent comment.  I guess I could have ranted and called the proposal DUMB and STUPID without really taking the time to consider it, but that would nothave been very prudent.

Anyway, after thinking about the original proposal I saw several drawbacks so I spent some time really thinking about some of the things coaches seem to want such as:

- a way to determine the best Dual Meet Teams in the State

- a classed team tournament

- grow wrestling

- disrupt current schedules as little as possible

After doing that I came up with the idea of a Hall of Fame Classic.  Please read the information on the link below and see what you think.  It is ceratinly not perfect, but I think it is a small beginning that could grow into something good for Indiana Wrestling.  If coaches will read the entire document before calling it DUMB or STUPID they will see that there is allowance and a plan to move from an event where teams are invited to an event where teams will qualify for and may participate in year after year if they are good enough to do so.

www.ihswca.com/halloffameclassicprop.pdf    

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rex-

This looks good.

This could be a tool to help get Team State back someday if it grows, builds a fan base and most importantly to the IHSAA makes a profit.

If it showed how much interest it would generate being a classed event that may also help the class argument.

It's a great start to something that could become a major media event for Indiana wrestling.

Maybe instead of saying same team cannot be invited back but once every three years, you bring the returning champs back every year to defend their title? Just My Opinion...

Could be....my hope is that it would morph into something else in 2-3 years, but in the mean time we can get something established and show we can run a good event.

Maybe instead of saying same team cannot be invited back but once every three years, you bring the returning champs back every year to defend their title? Just My Opinion...

... and with one sweep of the foot the cry babies lose momentum. Wasn't the intent to pacify the crybabies who didn't want to put in the work to make their teams the best? Now we will just have the same few teams winning the classic year in and year out :'(

... and with one sweep of the foot the cry babies lose momentum. Wasn't the intent to pacify the crybabies who didn't want to put in the work to make their teams the best? Now we will just have the same few teams winning the classic year in and year out :'(

Your the lets make it like Little League and give everybody a ribbion/trophey guy, have you ever built or been part of a competitive program, or are you the we can't compete with the big boys guy? May I ask do you coach have you coached and if so has your team ever won a sectional, regional, just wondering because you dont seem like the competitive type...

Your the lets make it like Little League and give everybody a ribbion/trophey guy, have you ever built or been part of a competitive program, or are you the we can't compete with the big boys guy? May I ask do you coach have you coached and if so has your team ever won a sectional, regional, just wondering because you dont seem like the competitive type...

I do realize some things get lost in translation but you clearly just didn't read my post...

I think flightinstructor could rip your arm off and beat you with it if he wanted to.

Why, because I asked a question based on his post, why do some have such a problem explaining their position without getting defensive? Not resorting to name calling as he has just asking a question. Do you guys have a little gang that defends each others post, because I have never seen anyone like you come to defend your buddies, instead of simply letting them explain their stance on a subject...

...and to answer your questions, no I'm not that guy, yes, yes, no, yes, yes and I doubt there are many more competitive.

Why, because I asked a question based on his post, why do some have such a problem explaining their position without getting defensive? Not resorting to name calling as he has just asking a question. Do you guys have a little gang that defends each others post, because I have never seen anyone like you come to defend your buddies, instead of simply letting them explain their stance on a subject...

IM.C ride or die!!!

Coach Peck,

I am about to start class so I will unable to read your proposal for a bit, but I am looking forward to it.

Once again, my dad almost died of a heart attack so I wasn't able to make the meeting.  Hopefully, you can understand that.  

Also, most coaches had absolutely no idea that anything was on the table besides the Classed Team State, which was presented at the Fall Clinic.

I will continue to say that NOTHING should be determined without doing a survey where coaches are permitted a voice and vote.

Again, I represent one opinion and my opinion is that whatever the IHSWCA offers - a Hall of Fame Classic or Classed Team State - it should be used to determine what the best dual meet teams are that year.  Every attempt should be made to invite the best teams for that season or no I see no purpose of it and no reason Mishawaka would attend unless we were attempting to win the IHSWCA Team State Title.  We already go to tough dual meet tournaments.

Maybe your new proposal addresses this and I look forward to reviewing it.  Nothing should be determined until the coaches are asked otherwise what is the points of the IHSWCA?

Snyder

I see alot of good things in this proposal.  If I am not mistaken doesn't the IHSAA still have the Hall of Fame Classic for Basketball?  I think 1 of the ways to determine who would wrestle in the Hall of Fame tournament would be based on which teams have the most quality wrestlers coming back, not just who did well the year before.  I also think that the weekend should be the same every year and that teams can return in consecutive year, this would ease scheduling for most teams and the teams can also say that they are the best in the state.  I don't like the idea of 3 classes, I would prefer 2 classes with 4 teams each.  

It sounds like a really good dual meet tournament, but not much more to me.  Sounds similar to going to the Bellmont Super Duals or Calumet or the North Montgomery Duals.  We already have these type of showcase duals.

Why have a stipulation that it isn't the best teams?  "Taking into account when a team last participated".  This automatically means that it is just another tournament.  Why not call it the Hall of Fame Classic and use it to determine the IHSWCA Team State Champs.  Just set some criteria and first opportunity to attend goes to the best teams.

I see no reason why at Mishawaka I would alter our schedule by dropping a tournament to attend just another tournament, which is all this Hall of Fame Classic is.  If we had a chance to wrestle the best teams in the enitre state and be declared IHSWCA Team State Champions, we would make every attempt to qualify and alter our schedule. 

I wouldn't drop Bellmont to go wrestle other teams at another tournament that determines nothing new.

Why was this voted on without gathering information from the coaches?

I would truly like to know what the majority of coaches want.  If they agree with me, that is awesome....if not, I'll move on.  Let just find out what most coaches want and do that...rather than guessing.

Snyder

It sounds like a really good dual meet tournament, but not much more to me.  Sounds similar to going to the Bellmont Super Duals or Calumet or the North Montgomery Duals.  We already have these type of showcase duals.

Why have a stipulation that it isn't the best teams?  "Taking into account when a team last participated".  This automatically means that it is just another tournament.  Why not call it the Hall of Fame Classic and use it to determine the IHSWCA Team State Champs.  Just set some criteria and first opportunity to attend goes to the best teams.

I see no reason why at Mishawaka I would alter our schedule by dropping a tournament to attend just another tournament, which is all this Hall of Fame Classic is.  If we had a chance to wrestle the best teams in the enitre state and be declared IHSWCA Team State Champions, we would make every attempt to qualify and alter our schedule. 

I wouldn't drop Bellmont to go wrestle other teams at another tournament that determines nothing new.

Why was this voted on without gathering information from the coaches?

I would truly like to know what the majority of coaches want.   If they agree with me, that is awesome....if not, I'll move on.  Let just find out what most coaches want and do that...rather than guessing.

Snyder

I was sorry to hear about your Dad and I understand why you were not at the meeting.  I merely presented an idea to the Regional Reps.  It does not matter to me what event/format is chosen.  I want two things...something most coaches can live with and something that will help wrestling in Indiana.  Our surveys generally show how disjointed our Association is and the huge disparuty of what people want.  Most coaches do think that the State Championship Team should be determined by a "Class" Dual Meet tournament that is all inclusive and ran by the IHSAA, but I am not so sure they are thrilled with what was proposed at the Fall clinic.  They might be fine with letting the top teams do their thing and not worrying about it, but if that is what the originally proposed Tournament does then it is simply a glorified Invitational.  My desire is to have something that in 2-3 years (maybe each year) can get bigger, better, and include more teams.  The date in January is problematic in many ways.  For one thing it is landlocked so to speak because I do not see much place to build a lower level tournament structure.  Anyway read the whole proposal.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.