State Champ Predctions

WC182Dad

A true freshman beating Brooks  ::) James is a young stud, but the key word being young...Just My Opinion!!!

Young yess and a stud as well. One thing you are leaving out is that he is by no way shape or form any less experienced than Fuqua or Brooks. I am not taking anythig away from them but I think Brandon will definnately be there in the final match.

If memory serves me right. I remember all kindds of people saying Boston would get handled by Boomsma last year. All I have to say is that this weight class in the show this year will be very exciting to watch for sure...

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dont get me wrong Brooks is a beast ,but as the year goes on with BJames wrestling Lecount, Cottey, and JMac in practice that will help him out alot. I dont know who Brooks partners are but those wrestlers together will fuel each other.

Young yess and a stud as well. One thing you are leaving out is that he is by no way shape or form any less experienced than Fuqua or Brooks. I am not taking anythig away from them but I think Brandon will definnately be there in the final match.

If memory serves me right. I remember all kindds of people saying Boston would get handled by Boomsma last year. All I have to say is that this weight class in the show this year will be very exciting to watch for sure...

I for one was not thinking nor saying Boosma would beat Boston, in fact I called it correctly. As I will take a man in Brooks over James (I admire this young man), but Brooks physically too much man!!! Just My Opinion.......

I like Jarred annd Brandon, I personally like Brandon in this match up. One thing is for sure, I think it will be a nail biter. BTW, I called it right last year from the beginning as well.

You have to wonder if James can handle the mental and physical side of it.Transitioning  from middle school to high school is a huge jump . By the looks of it only a select few freshman have ever won a state title at a weight above 103, Ex. Tsirtsis (Alex and Jason) ,Escobedo ,Mauer. 3 of the 4 are 4-timers and one on his way to join that club.That is some of Indiana's Elite and i would find it hard to see Brandon James on that level yet . Brooks is the more experienced wrestler and is very confident wrestler he won't give up the  State Title or let anything stand in his way as a Senior .  I'd have to go with Brooks ,but that's just my two cents . Good luck too both wrestlers this year .

I like Jarred annd Brandon, I personally like Brandon in this match up. One thing is for sure, I think it will be a nail biter. BTW, I called it right last year from the beginning as well.

I've had the opportunity to watch both quite a bit. Both are fun to watch. Both are so explosive on their feet. Personally I give Brooks the edge on the mat at this point. The senior will be the stronger more physical athlete over the redshirt freshman.

I've had the opportunity to watch both quite a bit. Both are fun to watch. Both are so explosive on their feet. Personally I give Brooks the edge on the mat at this point. The senior will be the stronger more physical athlete over the redshirt freshman.

Why is he a redshirt freshman?

When you say redshirt it sounds like he was held back for ill intentions. Did he struggle with school work?

I didn't mean to imply anything. I don't believe he struggles in school. But I'm not sure I've heard of any "redshirted" kids that actually were held bad due to a poor academic record.

I didn't mean to imply anything. I don't believe he struggles in school. But I'm not sure I've heard of any "redshirted" kids that actually were held bad due to a poor academic record.

Sorry, I didn't mean for you to think I was saying that you implied anything. When I read on a high school forum about kids being redshirted, I have a hard time believing this crap happens and that it's alright with everyone. It makes me cringe to think that someone thinks that this is what needs to happen to a kid. Most kids I know wouldn't be ok with that...

Sorry, I didn't mean for you to think I was saying that you implied anything. When I read on a high school forum about kids being redshirted, I have a hard time believing this crap happens and that it's alright with everyone. It makes me cringe to think that someone thinks that this is what needs to happen to a kid. Most kids I know wouldn't be ok with that...

No problem. I agree with you 100%

I think if you look down through the list of ranked wrestlers, I would say a lot of those  kids started their high school career as " redshirt" freshman.  8)

I personally don't have an issue with it. To each is own.

Sidenote; my freshman will be a 17 year old when he graduates.

well for some one like me i would've loved for my parents to hold me back. I was 17 when i graduated and when i went to college was no where near the maturity level i needed to be at to live on my own. by the rules i could've been held back for two years and still competed

There's a difference between holding a kid back for a lack of maturity, to holding a kid back to better his chances of a state championship.

I say play the cards you're delt and deal with it, but you are right, to each his own.

I graduated at 17 too, we could start a club!

I will shut up now...

One more thing, Hall will win state at heavy...

There's a difference between holding a kid back for a lack of maturity, to holding a kid back to better his chances of a state championship.

I say play the cards you're delt and deal with it, but you are right, to each his own.

I will shut up now...

Lets face it the majority of high school kids are immature anyway, let alone their frosh year. Redshirting is DEFINATELY done to increase someones chance of sports dominance. Its no wonder you seem to see it more in the wrestling and football world where physical maturity and strength come into play. As long as the IHSAA allows kids to graduate at 20 people will use it to their advantage so junior can be the dominate one. 

How does anyone know how mature a middle school kid is going to be 4 or 5 years later?  Just my opinion but from 20 years in the military the 17/18 years old coming out of basic training who wrestled were for the most part much more prepared for life than those who had not.  They knew how to work, how the succeed, how to respect, and most importantly how recover from failing.

I will shut up now...

Like many have mentioned I was also 17 when I graduated, but as a father who had 2 son's at the age of 30 & 36, I put some thought into their futures at that time, and not after my kid showed promise as decent athlete's . Unlike many who apparently put little thought into little Johnny growing up, I always remenbered saying to myself & wife, that we would not start our kids in kindergarden until they were 6 yrs old, because boys in general mature later in life and knew it would be in their best intrest for social, classroom and athletic reasons. I like many always thought to myself what if I would have had that extra year and would have been competeing at the age of 18 as a senior instead of 17, but I think the statement you make holding a child back who is not struggling in the classroom or socially is wrong. Clearly you are making the statement spoken or not, that athlectics are more important than anything else at that time.

If the child is behind his classmates in other ways thats one thing, but to just say we are willing to change your childs status in school just for athletics is no diffrent than saying "your not good enough", and we are willing to abuse the rules to make you more competitive in your sport! There is a big diffrence thinking ahead what's best for your child when he's in diapers, than waiting to see if he's performing up to daddy's standards athleticly as a middle school kid. I know a few wrestler's will give your Mr. Hall all he wants, and are looking forward to that challange, so good luck to him and the others that will force him and or anyone else to earn that title!!! Just My Opinion.....

I didn't turn 18 until the november after I graduated h.s.  I took 3rd in state my senior year and had I come back for another year I probably would have won a title.  Would my life be any different? I doubt it.  Holding kids back to gain a physical advantage is wrong, pure and simple.  Especially for a sport like wrestling where there is very little opportunity to gain financially as opposed to sports like basketball or football.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.