State Champ Predctions

WC182Dad

Like many have mentioned I was also 17 when I graduated, but as a father who had 2 son's at the age of 30 & 36, I put some thought into their futures at that time, and not after my kid showed promise as decent athlete's . Unlike many who apparently put little thought into little Johnny growing up, I always remenbered saying to myself & wife, that we would not start our kids in kindergarden until they were 6 yrs old, because boys in general mature later in life and knew it would be in their best intrest for social, classroom and athletic reasons. I like many always thought to myself what if I would have had that extra year and would have been competeing at the age of 18 as a senior instead of 17, but I think the statement you make holding a child back who is not struggling in the classroom or socially is wrong. Clearly you are making the statement spoken or not, that athlectics are more important than anything else at that time.

If the child is behind his classmates in other ways thats one thing, but to just say we are willing to change your childs status in school just for athletics is no diffrent than saying "your not good enough", and we are willing to abuse the rules to make you more competitive in your sport! There is a big diffrence thinking ahead what's best for your child when he's in diapers, than waiting to see if he's performing up to daddy's standards athleticly as a middle school kid. I know a few wrestler's will give your Mr. Hall all he wants, and are looking forward to that challange, so good luck to him and the others that will force him and or anyone else to earn that title!!! Just My Opinion.....

Agreed. My gripe being a 17 year old graduate was actually getting my license as a junior while all of my buddies had their's the year before. That was somewhat humbling and I made sure that wasn't going to happen to my sons and it could have happened with my oldest. Thank god his mom agreed to wait a year to start school.

I'm pulling for Abe Hall cause he's from the NSC. Now if Jimtown comes up with a heavyweight for this season, all bets are off!

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't turn 18 until the november after I graduated h.s.  I took 3rd in state my senior year and had I come back for another year I probably would have won a title.  Would my life be any different? I doubt it.  Holding kids back to gain a physical advantage is wrong, pure and simple.  Especially for a sport like wrestling where there is very little opportunity to gain financially as opposed to sports like basketball or football.

You don't realize the riches you missed out on because you weren't a state champion!  You would have easily been the head of Apple if you were held back.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.