Hoosier Preseason Open ?'s

NickS

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So Joe, can you give a recap of the tourney -- who looked like an absolute beast?

I was surprised at a few things, looking over the results...

1.  Nick Lee (a 7th grader) won the 109 lb division !?!?  I knew this kid was really, really good - I expected a good showing but not for him to win it all!

2.  Schuyler Phillips over Brandon James, allowing 0 points scored.

3.  Not as many non-Indiana kids winning their brackets as I thought may happen.  To travel to another state to compete in a tournament, I was expecting the out-of-staters to come away winners in a lot of the brackets.  Looks like especially at the lower weights, Indiana kids took care of business.  Great to see!

4.  Disappointing number of upper weight competitors.  I am going with the theory that most of the big boys are probably playing football, but still seems like out of the geography this tournament pulled, there would be more kids showing up for the upper weights.

5.  No Sliga.  Really, if he gave up football to focus on wrestling, why not get in a good day of workout in your home state and possibly see some good competition?

6.  McHugh had an incredible tournament.  Look at his bracket -- looks like a dominating performance

I appreciate any insights or commentary anyone who was at the tournament can give

So Joe, can you give a recap of the tourney -- who looked like an absolute beast?

I was surprised at a few things, looking over the results...

1.  Nick Lee (a 7th grader) won the 109 lb division !?!?  I knew this kid was really, really good - I expected a good showing but not for him to win it all!

2.  Schuyler Phillips over Brandon James, allowing 0 points scored.

3.  Not as many non-Indiana kids winning their brackets as I thought may happen.  To travel to another state to compete in a tournament, I was expecting the out-of-staters to come away winners in a lot of the brackets.  Looks like especially at the lower weights, Indiana kids took care of business.  Great to see!

4.  Disappointing number of upper weight competitors.  I am going with the theory that most of the big boys are probably playing football, but still seems like out of the geography this tournament pulled, there would be more kids showing up for the upper weights.

5.  No Sliga.  Really, if he gave up football to focus on wrestling, why not get in a good day of workout in your home state and possibly see some good competition?

6.  McHugh had an incredible tournament.  Look at his bracket -- looks like a dominating performance

I appreciate any insights or commentary anyone who was at the tournament can give

In all honesty I probably watched about five matches yesterday.  I will let others comment on who looked tough and such. 

Nick Lee is good, REAL GOOD, I did get to see a couple of his matches and he looked very impressive.  Remind you that these were 2-1-1 matches, so his scores are even more dominating and impressive.

I disagree it was a great tour. I was suprised alot of the upper weight guys wasnt there but its preseason. As for the Lee kid he could of cut that easy my son had to cut 8 in two days 2lbs on the way there lol it might of drained him a little but he wanted to go that weight so he cut and didnt look great but he competed. No Excuses zach lol Great job  By the way that Jimtown kid was a suprise to all I think watch out for him this year. Super hard worker Im sure

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.