285 Howe/Harvey

Promoter480

They did not meet in the regular season as Howe had knee surgery over x-mas break.  At sectional, Harvey got beat by Abe Hall of Bremen in the semis and did not face Howe.  Harvey pinned Howe in the semis at Regional.  They met each other in the finals at semi-state where Harvey decisioned Howe 8-4.

Its a shame Howe lost this match, he is the only one who attempted any offense. Harvey does have excellent balance for a heavy though.

i have to agree with you on this.  howe was the agressor throughout, got in real good on a couple of shots too.

Harvey won the match without making ONE attempt to take Howe down.  It may have been different if the ref would have at least gave him a caution.  Maybe that would have forced Harvey to open up and perhaps make a mistake himself. 

Regardless, congrats on a great state championship!

I was impressed with Harvey's athleticism for a Heavyweight.  Looks like he would be a great FB player.  Was he?  Is he goin to play collegiately?

Yes he did play FB Def line all state. The other thing to be noted this was only his second year to wrestle. We are all very proud of him.

Harvey wrestled an excellent match.  He knows his strengths and weaknesses and played into them intelligently.  I heard folks in the stands saying Harvey didn't "deserve to win" because he didn't go out and shoot blindly. Ridiculous! Wrestling is more than just banging...

The idea that a 270+ 2nd year wreslter should just fire away like he's 119 lbs is absurd.

Honestly, his style reminds me of some of the best freestyle wrestlers in the world who don't just go and try and bash someone's brains in for an entire match. They keep good position, keep the score close and jump on an opportunity when it arises.

there is another word for never shooting a takedown.  stalling.  nothing against harver, personally, but if both wrestlers just sit there "in good position" there is no wrestling match.  you gotta stick it out there a little bit!

You must have been a lighter weight, considering you said "shooting a takedown".  Since when do you have to shoot to get a takedown?  He wrestled defensively and should have gotten at least a stalling warning but you really need to reexamine your outlook on heavyweights.  Let me ask you, why did Howe lose?  He shot in, got his head and chest down (because of the size of his opponent), and was countered.  At heavyweight for offense it is all about body positioning and getting passed a wrestlers arms.  Don't sit there and tell everyone how heavyweights should wrestle, you just sound ignorant.  

Harvey wrestled a near perfect match.  His defense was superb, he was excellent on the edge of the mat.  Congrats to that young man on a IHSAA State Championship!

Note: As is customary in these forums... I have no dog in the fight : - D (and actually picked Howe to win)

You must have been a lighter weight, considering you said "shooting a takedown".  Since when do you have to shoot to get a takedown?  He wrestled defensively and should have gotten at least a stalling warning but you really need to reexamine your outlook on heavyweights.  Let me ask you, why did Howe lose?  He shot in, got his head and chest down (because of the size of his opponent), and was countered.  At heavyweight for offense it is all about body positioning and getting passed a wrestlers arms.  Don't sit there and tell everyone how heavyweights should wrestle, you just sound ignorant.  

Harvey wrestled a near perfect match.  His defense was superb, he was excellent on the edge of the mat.  Congrats to that young man on a IHSAA State Championship!

Note: As is customary in these forums... I have no dog in the fight : - D (and actually picked Howe to win)

It is pretty disappointing when one wrestler has all the offense and the other just uses his weight to spin around behind, though.  I know that's how heavies wrestle, but still.  Much easier to just sit and wait for the shot than actually go out and try to get one.

Harvey beat Howe 8-4 last week and had quite a bit of offense when he tossed Howe to his back.  Howe did not want anything to do with any sort of tie ups last night for that very reason. 

Just because he wasn't shooting every 10 seconds doesn't mean he wasn't working for a takedown. 

yes, he should have got a stalling warning.  then he may have moved a little more, that is the complaint.  howe did a good job of pushing the action.  if he didn't, then they both would have been standing there.

no, i don't think that you need to get in on legs to get a take down, but you do have to take risks.  you have to push the action.  

i agree with you that heavyweights are different, but you have to move.  

Harvey won the match. 

The discussion should be how the match was officiated and not how it was wrestled.  The big guys do wrestle a different style, but that can be dictated by the referee.  If someone never attempts an offensive move for 2 minutes, he should be warned for stalling at the least.  If he is not warned, why change the game plan.  Stay in good position.

Honestly, I think state finals matches where one or both wrestlers are stalling is the most unenviable position possible for an official.  No one wants to see the match "decided" by an official.  So we often see even quick-stall-call guys swallow their whistles.  I'm not saying this is good or bad--just saying that's what seems to happen.  I for one definitely agree stalling should have been called in the first period already on Harvey.  Chances are, he would have opened up and the match could have seen a little more offense.  He definitely deserved to win either way though.

Honestly, I think state finals matches where one or both wrestlers are stalling is the most unenviable position possible for an official.  No one wants to see the match "decided" by an official.  So we often see even quick-stall-call guys swallow their whistles.  I'm not saying this is good or bad--just saying that's what seems to happen.  I for one definitely agree stalling should have been called in the first period already on H

arvey.  Chances are, he would have opened up and the match could have seen a little more offense.  He definitely deserved to win either way though.

i agree, you want the wrestlers deciding the result.  but, i think that the officials could help push the action a little bit at times.  i like when you hear on the ncaa broadcasts when the officials give a little verbal que. 

i don't like when officials call the second stall when the match is tied.  giving a point is warrented when the match is tied but i did not like the call when shrewsbury was a jr. and the stalling point given with 20 seconds left was the winning margin. 

like everything else, you need to have a happy medium.

Congrats to Harvey!  He worked hard and won.  And let's face it, there is a different strategy at HWT.  If you mess up a TD, having 285 lbs coming down on you is a big problem.

However, I agree probably at least one stall warning was in order.  Howe was clearly aggressive.  This is why I say remove penalty points for stalling.  Instead, any stalling call should result in an immediate choice for the opponent of top, bottom or neutral.  Then the wrestlers get to decide the outcome and not an official awarding stall points.

All I have to say is congradulations to Harvey. After not even getting out of regionals last year to becoming a state champio this year, well thats pretty impressive. Good job and good luck in college football.

Good luck to you and let's keep the state title in the NSC

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.