Picks for 189 at State

SlickRodz

The brackets took away one of the great possible finals at 189 (Stevenson vs Sliga), anyway here is what I see for top 8 at 189:

1/2 Berry vs Stevenson- Stevenson take the championship

3/4 Boots vs Sliga - Sliga takes 3rd (and wins 2 state championships next two years)

5/6 Goldman vs Dillenbeck- Goldman takes 5th

7/8 Neff vs Johnson- Johnson takes 7th

Would have loved to see the brackets allow for a Gladiator final.....but some real studs at 189!

Never seen berry but i heard he's muscled up.  i know stevenson is usually pretty thick. whats sliga look like this year physically? we all know hes as smooth as they come when it comes to technique.

I saw Berry for the first time on Saturday and that young man is put together very well. He is very muscular but he is also athletic. I was really impressed with him. Best of luck to you Berry!

Berry could end you night real quick.....  The kid is an absolute physical speciman.  Not to mention he really is not a full time wrestler.  Great football player!  Don't sleep on him! 

IT looks like he has a pretty favorable draw as well.....  No Sliga/Stevenson till the finals.

Should be interesting!!!!

Haven't these guys already wrestled before? Maybe I'm dating myself but back in my day these guys would have locked up in Freestyle and/or at Team Indiana practices and such a number of times. I know Sliga is younger but I can't imagine that he hasn't run into the other top-tier guys his size previously.

I'd presume the same should be true for Welch/Willis, Jasckson/Kieffer/Raley, etc.

I know freestyle isn't a 100% accurate predictor but head to head comp is usually a clue...

Silga vs Stevenson in the semi's will be 1 of the best matches at state, prolly the best semi finals matchup

Silga 7-5

Silga vs Berry in the finals, Should be a great match I know Silga was a Tripple Crwon winner this summer at Fargo so that experience will help him here, But Berry is my sleeper pick, I think im taking Berry in an absolute  BRAWL

#1 Aaron Stevenson (In the last three years his one loss is to Marcus Shrewsbury in OT , would have won it last year if not Injured, He?s beat kids that Sliga has lost to)

#2 Garret Goldman (Strong and known?s how to wrestle, most improved, a lot of people are under estimating him, not the same Goldman of past years)

#3 Mitch Sliga (great kid on his feet, Triple Crown National Champ as a cadet, next two years Mitch dominates)

#4 Josh Boots

#5 Kourtney Berry  

#6 Brandon Dillenbeck

#7 Spencer Raypole  

#8 Scott Neff

Silga vs Berry

I look at this matchup thinking about last yrs 189 pounders. Everyone including me had Atwood as a lock to win state at 189, and then this big strong athletic kid named Michael Johnson-Jones came along and shocked us with a 4-2 overtime victory. Great Match!

Silga is very very good, but with Berry's size and  athleticism you can never count him out

Silga vs Berry

I look at this matchup thinking about last yrs 189 pounders. Everyone including me had Atwood as a lock to win state at 189, and then this big strong athletic kid named Michael Johnson-Jones came along and shocked us with a 4-2 overtime victory. Great Match!

Silga is very very good, but with Berry's size and  athleticism you can never count him out

Every one had Atwood as a lock after Stevenson was injured; Stevenson was the lock last year until he was injured. If Stevenson would have not gotten injured last year the out come at 189 would have been completely different.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.