CP's Kral 20-0

ontherise219

I guess I just gont get any of reasons listed.  The dual was not in jeapordy.  And Kral being seeded #1 or #2 at conference isnt any big difference. 

And asking a coach why he did something isnt questioning him or condeming him but rathewr asking what his thinking was.  Just curious....

I don't believe this had anything to do with it, Kral would have been the number 1 seed in the DAC's regardless of if he would have wrestled Berry and lost. If you remember a few years ago, Vlink kept bumping Shrewsberry away from Salas until he had to wrestle him in the tournaments.

Bid,

You brought up a bad analogy with Shrewsbury.  The Merrillville vs CP duals during the year you are speaking of (2007-08) were much tighter than the one we are talking about now.  You could actually make a strategic argument for CP having a better chance to win the dual with the bump that year.  If you would dig back into your archives one more year back maybe you would remember that Coach Vlink actually bumped Shrewsbury up a weight class to go and get a match against Salas at 215.

And how did Shrewsbury and Salas end up finishing at state that year by the way?  I can't remember.  Probably because Shrewsbury didn't wrestle enough tough competition. 

A coach bumps when it is beneficial to the team and gives them the best chance to win, if the match is already in hand then why would a coach or a wrestler risk getting hurt in a essentially meaningless match?  Its dual meets and it all comes down to what is better for the team now and in future matches, individual glory comes later.

This *IS* wrestling, right?  Even though these young men are 15-18 years old, they are likely some of the most mentally tough kids you will find within their high school.

If anything, this is a good learning/coaching opportunity.  If Kral or any wrestler is offended by any comments on here (whether intentional or not), somebody needs to coach them to use it as motivation -- bulletin board clipping material -- rather than let it shatter their ego.

Life after (and during) high school is going to be full of insults and challenges far tougher than a guy on an internet site wondering aloud why he was bumped up.  I don't personally know Mr Kral, but I would be willing to bet that he can handle a question like this with no problem, and will let his work on the mat do his talking.

I think some of you guys need to think about what you are saying first before you post it.  You are talking about a kid; he is 16 years old--a kid, a young man.  I don't think it is a great idea to talk about individual high school kids like this--regarless who they are.  They aren't professional athletes.  That's just my two cents. 

A coach bumps when it is beneficial to the team and gives them the best chance to win, if the match is already in hand then why would a coach or a wrestler risk getting hurt in a essentially meaningless match?  Its dual meets and it all comes down to what is better for the team now and in future matches, individual glory comes later.

The point is  they were meaningful matches your #5 vs. #2 and whatever Berry was (ranked not as high as Kral) its where you get the mental edge by beating your oppoent and setting yourself up for higher seeds down the line. By your theory the Colts should play there subs everytime thay see the Pats durning the regular season, and by the way this is a physcial sport and you run the risk of injury everytime you step on the mat! If you were to say he was already hurt then that's a reason most would understand. Although when it's against all #10 oppoents it makes people say "hum". If all highly ranked wrestlers refused these match-up's do you understand how boring the sport and season would be, and the damage it would do to our sport? As it's been stated over and over the young man is not the one dodging anyone, we all know it's the coaches call, and we all know he's a great coach were all just trying to understand the logic!

A coach bumps when it is beneficial to the team and gives them the best chance to win, if the match is already in hand then why would a coach or a wrestler risk getting hurt in a essentially meaningless match?  Its dual meets and it all comes down to what is better for the team now and in future matches, individual glory comes later.

If he is worried about injury then don't wrestle him at all instead of bumping him up.  I would be more scared of injury with my 215 wrestling a 250lbs heavyweight than a 190lbs kid.

Bid,

You brought up a bad analogy with Shrewsbury.  The Merrillville vs CP duals during the year you are speaking of (2007-08) were much tighter than the one we are talking about now.  You could actually make a strategic argument for CP having a better chance to win the dual with the bump that year.  If you would dig back into your archives one more year back maybe you would remember that Coach Vlink actually bumped Shrewsbury up a weight class to go and get a match against Salas at 215.

And how did Shrewsbury and Salas end up finishing at state that year by the way?  I can't remember.  Probably because Shrewsbury didn't wrestle enough tough competition. 

You right Shrewsberry did end up placing higher than Salas in the state tournament, but how did he do head to head?  That was the point I was trying to make. Maybe Vlink didn't want the same head to head outcome.

If he is worried about injury then don't wrestle him at all instead of bumping him up.  I would be more scared of injury with my 215 wrestling a 250lbs heavyweight than a 190lbs kid.

Y2 - He didn't bump up to wrestle the heavyweight - he bumped up to wrestle their real 215 pounder.

Y2 - He didn't bump up to wrestle the heavyweight - he bumped up to wrestle their real 215 pounder.

Vlink couldn't be sure if Merrillville was sending their 215 or HWt. Because Berry had to check in at the table first seeing that CP had choice at 215. So that argument would not hold up

Vlink couldn't be sure if Merrillville was sending their 215 or HWt. Because Kral had to check in at the table first seeing that CP had choice at 215. So that argument would not hold up

I thought Berry was already checked in when Kral came over and said he was wrestling heavyweight.

Well CP and Merrillville will probably meet again at team regionals so it will be interesting to see what happens there. The starting weight and choice could have a lot to do with this match up happening. Lets say they draw 215 as the starting weight and CP has to report first. That would be interesting . If the dual is in hand we won't see this match up though.

The real question I think that's being asked, is it better to have 0 losses on his record than to have wrestled the better kids that you cross paths with? I know this is not the young man's choice, but when your a elite wrestler in your weight class #5, and the choice being made for the young man is to avoid the toughest competition people are going to ask questions! The kid is the real deal he beat our guy (top #15-25 maybe), but the question is, will he be tournament tough not seeing the top #10 guys that he's had a chance to wrestle but his coaches decided not to? How is that sold to the kid to not harm his confidence? Best of luck to Tyler I would hate to run into him at state, but I think the question being asked is a legit one. ???

BTW Jag I was teasing you on grammar as well...Big Hawaiian -Great point!!! 

I have seen Tyler wrestle-he is tough and it should be an interesting Merrillville Semi-State

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.