Returning State Champions in trouble of losing there titles

duck_and_run

Following the sport now for 7 years and loving it, as everyone knows anyone can lose on any given day, just ask Metcalf last year.

I remember seeing #1 ranked guys lose in the ticket round as well the past few years. I believe a State Champ is still the champ until he loses it. We all have our favorites which is the beauty of the sport.

If I had to say one wrestler has a so called lock this year, It would be Jason Tsirtsis, the boy can flat out wrestle. My second pick of course would be Sean McMurray being a 2X er. I think he's in another league than the other 160 lbers.

Can't wait until Friday good luck to all wrestlers..

Mike A

PS. Sorry about my spelling and grammer, no spell check.

Thats the best thing i've read on this board! Champs are Champs untill some1 beats them this weekend thats when it counts =] and finally someone with a little logic...McMurray is the man and has already wrestled some of the best wrestlers in our state and the no1 kid in illinois...also he proves all the doughters wrong every weekend!!!! idk how you can bet against the kid. and its a message board who cares about spellin =P

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was Josh that beat Conner in the team regional, semi-state. Conner beat Josh early in th year at NC. Conner beat Justin at team regional this year.

Thanks Mr. Kieffer 4 clearifying that, good luck to ur boys, they both can make some big noise and get under the lights!!!

not that i think for one second that phillips will loose his title..        buuuuut .. for those of you who weren't at the new castle semi state..      Levi Moss had Phillips on his back late in the third period..          and phillips only won 17-14      ................  seems like thats kinda flown under the radar...        lookin forward to an incredible 103 class this year!

not that i think for one second that phillips will loose his title..         buuuuut .. for those of you who weren't at the new castle semi state..       Levi Moss had Phillips on his back late in the third period..           and phillips only won 17-14      ................  seems like thats kinda flown under the radar...        lookin forward to an incredible 103 class this year!

Also, Phillips was up a comfortable 17-8, with 20 sec left an chose to let Moss up.  Then was tossed to his back making the final score 17-14.  I believe he made a mistake in choosing to go neutral with that short a time left.  I feel that if he chose to ride him out, he could have an the final would of been 17-8 an this talk would all be for not.  Good luck at state for everyone, mostly those from the New Castle SS. 

Mcmurray will have a tough time!  He could have Kolb in the second round.  I wouldnt over look this kid hes tough. Oh well just my opinion.  Good luck to everyone

I agree Mac will have some close one's, but if I've learned anything watching him the past two years it's been that he wins the close one's. The score may be close at the end in matches against the studs like Stahl and Willis, but watching the match they didn't seem as close as the final score(Just my feeling from being mat side) for me the question is will be be scored on. I don't think he's given up an offensive point from sectional on. So..... we'll see.

Tsirtis is not unbeatable, That is garbage, like I said last week, Mullins size will be a HUGE problem for Tsirtis, I love both kids, I just have a bad feeling about this and my opinion is Mullins can and will win this match because he is just as sound technically, Tsirtis is stronger, Mulins lost only 4 times last year, once at State to Hawkins and got 5th, and has avenged his 2 freshman year losses to Kieffer of Roncalli. hasn't gave up a single takedown this year, and is actually wrestling a weight class where he is comfortable, If you watched Mullins last year he lost his stride a lil bit b 4 state, but this year he is coming to State on a roll!!!!!, best of luck to all :)

I've been lucky enough to see Mullins twice, he is a stud. That being said, he will not score on Tsirtis... remember where you heard it first.  ;D

i agree..   ..  but its mistakes like that..    are what can cost you your title..  never know how it will go down right?..    just sayin ..       . for the first time ..  phillips looked mortal

First off, Moss got lucky, that won't happen again. Second Phillips still won. Once sectionals start it doesn't matter how you win, as long as you DO win, and that's what Cody did and will do again Saturday night. Good Luck Cody!

very true..  yet you still dont understand my point..      it takes a split second to get pinned..  whether that be a dominating performance..  or a "lucky" throw..  ..        ...    for all we know.. phillips might have been pinned for a super split second before the ref was able to get in position to see..      ..          what i'm saying is..      its going to take a stellar performance from all the athletes at state to win ..    ..  major mistakes like that..    juuuuuuust might loose your title....

and dont get me wrong .. i'm a huge phillips fan ..  he wrestles in our mostly 1A conference     ..its nice to see small schools come up !        i'm just sayin .. that mistakes like that.. can cost you the title..  agreed?

yes I do agree. I don't think Cody will be making any more mistakes like that this weekend.

First off, Moss got lucky, that won't happen again. Second Phillips still won. Once sectionals start it doesn't matter how you win, as long as you DO win, and that's what Cody did and will do again Saturday night. Good Luck Cody!

Phillips is a fantastic wrestler who I believe has never lost so he probably doesn't need adults to trivialize other kids sucess by saying they got lucky. Lets give Moss some credit.

I cant believe no ones throwns in Tyler Willis' name. Last I checked didnt McMurry only beat him 1-0. A last last second reversal or an escape and a takedown in over time can go either way in the State Championship match. And Tyler might be the one joining the eilite group of three timers instead of Mac. But I will say he will have to go through from what I've heard a pretty good Zac McCray. I cant wait to see the Semi-Finals really two good matchs at once.

I just wanted to drop in for a quick comment on this post. First of all a state champ is a champ is a champ. The state tournament is such a meat grinder especially in Indiana where wrestle backs are not used at the regional or semi state. And to be perfect over 4 rounds against the best competition in the state is flat out amazing. On the topic about these returning guys having close matches. Anyone who has wrestled in high school or especially in college knows about the keeping it close strategy. You are wrestling the number one or number two guy in the state/nation and your whole plan is to keep it close hoping to pull something off in the end. There is nothing harder than wrestling some guy who is just trying to keep it close with you, alot of times in my competative career I would rather have kids just come after me because the chances of them opening up was greater. I feel that these guys may have close matches because they are wrestling other people who may be using this strategy.

I agree Mac will have some close one's, but if I've learned anything watching him the past two years it's been that he wins the close one's. The score may be close at the end in matches against the studs like Stahl and Willis, but watching the match they didn't seem as close as the final score(Just my feeling from being mat side) for me the question is will be be scored on. I don't think he's given up an offensive point from sectional on. So..... we'll see.

Stahl is at 52 not 160

I just wanted to drop in for a quick comment on this post. First of all a state champ is a champ is a champ. The state tournament is such a meat grinder especially in Indiana where wrestle backs are not used at the regional or semi state. And to be perfect over 4 rounds against the best competition in the state is flat out amazing. On the topic about these returning guys having close matches. Anyone who has wrestled in high school or especially in college knows about the keeping it close strategy. You are wrestling the number one or number two guy in the state/nation and your whole plan is to keep it close hoping to pull something off in the end. There is nothing harder than wrestling some guy who is just trying to keep it close with you, alot of times in my competative career I would rather have kids just come after me because the chances of them opening up was greater. I feel that these guys may have close matches because they are wrestling other people who may be using this strategy.

They wrestled at the Tricoff

I believe that Cody Phillips, Wright, Tsirtsis (though Mullins seems to be outstanding), McMurray, and Duckworth will keep their titles.  Should be a great year of wrestling.  Anyone that is more familiar with Mullins do they know if he has what it takes to dethrone Jason Tsirtsis?  Its hard to bet against Jason after last year going through Cashe Quiroga to make it to the finals.  Talk about a tough semifinals match at state for a freshmen to be introduced to.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.