Returning State Champions in trouble of losing there titles

duck_and_run

I have noticed several of our former champions have had a tough rode thus far in the tournement.  I could see quite a few of them loosing there titles.  How many of these guys do you think will loose there titles?

103-Phillips

119- Hawkins

125- Wright or Raley

130-tsirtsis

140- Porris

160-McMurray

171-Duckworth

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I only have 4 of the 8 retaining there titles.  There is a target on your back once you have won a title and you can tell since they have been getting knocked arround a little in the tournement series. 

Phillips is probable champion

Hawkins has been beat twice in the last two weeks and once earlier in the year. All to the same guy.  His draw will not help him down at state.

Wright was beaten last week and it really wasn't that good of a match.  6 points.

Raley won at 103 just don't think he will be competitive at this weight.

tsirtsis is a lock.

Porris has been beaten this past week, but he will take care of buisiness now

McMurray is an outstanding wrestler, but he will be wrestling several guys who are going to give him a heck of a match.  My upset of the tournement is McCray over McMurray.  Call me crazy today but I think McCray is the real deal.

Duckworth- You did not run far enough.  You had several close matches this weekend and that will bite you in the butt come next weekend.

Raley won't be competitive at 125?  Give me a break; do you actually think before you post?  The kid has one loss on the year and walked through Semi State.  You may recall a few years ago a kid named Eric Galka did the same thing.  He won state as a feshman at 103, loses friday night the next year at 119 and then comes in his junior year and proves he could adjust.  A couple of things I want to point out also; It's road not rode and it's losing not loosing.  I swear there should be a grammar quiz before posting on here.

Raley won't be competitive at 125?  Give me a break; do you actually think before you post?  The kid has one loss on the year and walked through Semi State.  You may recall a few years ago a kid named Eric Galka did the same thing.  He won state as a feshman at 103, loses friday night the next year at 119 and then comes in his junior year and proves he could adjust.  A couple of things I want to point out also; It's road not rode and it's losing not loosing.  I swear there should be a grammar quiz before posting on here.

moving up from 103 to 125 really isnt that bad of a jump if a kid hits a growth spurt and does some lifting in the off season.  with his results so far i would say he's done a great job at the move up and has a good shot at retaining his title.

Raley looked a lot more filled out this year than last. Also, he might be the best on his feet in the state.

Following the sport now for 7 years and loving it, as everyone knows anyone can lose on any given day, just ask Metcalf last year.

I remember seeing #1 ranked guys lose in the ticket round as well the past few years. I believe a State Champ is still the champ until he loses it. We all have our favorites which is the beauty of the sport.

If I had to say one wrestler has a so called lock this year, It would be Jason Tsirtsis, the boy can flat out wrestle. My second pick of course would be Sean McMurray being a 2X er. I think he's in another league than the other 160 lbers.

Can't wait until Friday good luck to all wrestlers..

Mike A

PS. Sorry about my spelling and grammer, no spell check.

I really dont think Phillips and Tsirtsis are in danger of losing the title. Both are absolute studs on their feet and are All Americans.

I think Wright will have a tough day.

Im also excited to see 152 and 160 in the semi final round. Gonna be craaaazy.

Following the sport now for 7 years and loving it, as everyone knows anyone can lose on any given day, just ask Metcalf last year.

I remember seeing #1 ranked guys lose in the ticket round as well the past few years. I believe a State Champ is still the champ until he loses it. We all have our favorites which is the beauty of the sport.

If I had to say one wrestler has a so called lock this year, It would be Jason Tsirtsis, the boy can flat out wrestle. My second pick of course would be Sean McMurray being a 2X er. I think he's in another league than the other 160 lbers.

Can't wait until Friday good luck to all wrestlers..

Mike A

PS. Sorry about my spelling and grammer, no spell check.

I got to agree wit MR. lEGGER / i would say only tiny t-shirts is the only lock. McMurray is a second but he is gonna have to earn his gold.

I really think little t-shirts could win a tittle all da way to 152 and give the 160 a run for his money. Da rat calls a spade a spade he is dat good.

I only have 4 of the 8 retaining there titles.  There is a target on your back once you have won a title and you can tell since they have been getting knocked arround a little in the tournement series. 

Phillips is probable champion

Hawkins has been beat twice in the last two weeks and once earlier in the year. All to the same guy.  His draw will not help him down at state.

Wright was beaten last week and it really wasn't that good of a match.  6 points.

Raley won at 103 just don't think he will be competitive at this weight.

tsirtsis is a lock.

Porris has been beaten this past week, but he will take care of buisiness now

McMurray is an outstanding wrestler, but he will be wrestling several guys who are going to give him a heck of a match.  My upset of the tournement is McCray over McMurray.  Call me crazy today but I think McCray is the real deal.

Duckworth- You did not run far enough.  You had several close matches this weekend and that will bite you in the butt come next weekend.

Which matches of Duckworth were close???

I got to agree wit MR. lEGGER / i would say only tiny t-shirts is the only lock. McMurray is a second but he is gonna have to earn his gold.

I really think little t-shirts could win a tittle all da way to 152 and give the 160 a run for his money. Da rat calls a spade a spade he is dat good.

Pound for pound, Tsirtsis is as good as anyone in our state, but saying he could win the title at 145 or 152, and give the 160 a run for his money is crazy talk!  He could probably win the title at 135, and have an outside shot at doing so at 140, but I would imagine that is where it ends.  At some point, a guy, no matter how skilled he is, is too small to deal with kids who are slightly less skilled, but have considerably more size and strength.  Otherwise, weight classes would be pointless to have.

"Re: Returning State Champions in trouble of losing their titles"

The Topic Headline is what caught my attention.....The greatest thing about winning a State Championship is that no matter what happens after that, the rest of your life, you NEVER lose the "title" of being a State Champion.  Best of Luck to all the Champs.  It's going to be a great show!

You guys make me laugh.  I feel like the whole McMurray thing is a joke.  This kid has to win his title every weekend with you guys.  There were people sayin he would lose this weekend to Vlahos and that kid got owned.  I am not saying McMurray will tech fall the field, but he is lookin like he is going to join a very small class of individuals who have won 3 state championships.  He knows better than anyone that a 6th place sophmore, the year before, can come in and take the title from him.  He will not dissappoint.

You guys make me laugh.  I feel like the whole McMurray thing is a joke.  This kid has to win his title every weekend with you guys.  There were people sayin he would lose this weekend to Vlahos and that kid got owned.  I am not saying McMurray will tech fall the field, but he is lookin like he is going to join a very small class of individuals who have won 3 state championships.  He knows better than anyone that a 6th place sophmore, the year before, can come in and take the title from him.  He will not dissappoint.

Agreed. McMurray will keep his title.

Legrider33, I wouldn't say that Metcalf losing was that big of an upset.  I believe Caldwell had beaten him prior to that.  Anyway back to the topic.

Naco228 I would say Phillips IS in trouble of losing his title.  He has a very tough rode to go through to take the title.  He has a rough day Saturday and we will see how it turns out, but I don't think, in any means, he is a lock.

119-I don't see Hawkins repeating this year.  He has lost to Bradley three times, each more decisively than the last.  I see him getting a fifth this year.

125-Wright- I don't see him repeating this year, but I expect to see him in the finals.  Raley- I see him with a third at the best.

130-I dont see anyone beating Tsirtsis.  He is just too strong and technically sound to lose.

140-I think that loss is going to drive him.  I see him winning it this weekend.

160-McMurray wins his third.  Case closed.

171-Duckworth, is going to take the title.  Tough road though.

Why even wrestle the matches after those statements?

If the rankings and what people said really mattered, they wouldn't hold a state tournament and they would just send the awards in the mail.  I just wanted to give my two cents on the subject. 

P.S.

You won't be mocking me after I win your pick 'em contest.

Tsirtis is not unbeatable, That is garbage, like I said last week, Mullins size will be a HUGE problem for Tsirtis, I love both kids, I just have a bad feeling about this and my opinion is Mullins can and will win this match because he is just as sound technically, Tsirtis is stronger, Mulins lost only 4 times last year, once at State to Hawkins and got 5th, and has avenged his 2 freshman year losses to Kieffer of Roncalli. hasn't gave up a single takedown this year, and is actually wrestling a weight class where he is comfortable, If you watched Mullins last year he lost his stride a lil bit b 4 state, but this year he is coming to State on a roll!!!!!, best of luck to all :)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.