Cinderella Stories

fmb15291

Derek Basbagill from Whiteland in 2004... He wrestled JV as a freshman, and then sophomore year he was a few matches over .500 he finished 4th at sectionals, and then 1st are regionals, 4th at semi state and lost friday night at state.  I think he ended up like 26-19.. Pretty amazing he turned it on at the right time.

The hwt from Whiteland winning state a few years ago seemed to be a shock to me.  I saw him wrestle the year before and would have no way thought he would have won state his senior year.

Fryar must have peaked at the right time his Senior season, too.  I remember him losing by Major Decision to Beatty fron FW Concordia, earlier in the season.

what about the seitz brother (dont remember which one). He had wrestled varsity before but broke his foot in football. Was able to wrestle right before sectionals and then i believe he was a SQ

broke his foot in football, wrestled a week before SIAC, 1st in SIAC, 1st in Sectional, 1st in Regional, 2nd in Smeistate and ended up facing the same kid who beat him at semistate for 7th-8th place and beat him to get 7th... ;) ;D 26-4

broke his foot in football, wrestled a week before SIAC, 1st in SIAC, 1st in Sectional, 1st in Regional, 2nd in Smeistate and ended up facing the same kid who beat him at semistate for 7th-8th place and beat him to get 7th... ;) ;D 26-4

And he is basically a good kid all aound! 

The Seitz guys have always been pretty decent folks!  I just wish there dad wan't such a knot heaad!    ;D

And he is basically a good kid all aound!   

The Seitz guys have always been pretty decent folks!   I just wish there dad wan't such a knot heaad!    ;D

i wrestled with andrew and phillip and Frosty was always there and was taking pictures at all the meets. A true wrestling family

Jared Schwartz from Adams Central had an amazing tournament run last year. As a freshman he won I think 3 matches the whole season, then last year as a sophmore with a record of 30-15 qualified for the state tournament. This year he is having a successfull Junior  season with a record of 34-5 heading into the Fort Wayne Semi-State.

in 2004 Justin Bischoff from Franklin County was 25-13 at 275 i don't think he ever even made semistate before his sr year. he finished i think 2nd in the EIAC 4th in sectionals 3rd in regionals and 4th at semistate and we only weighed about 200-215 not sure on his weight but all I know is he was 189 as a junior and looked smaller than most 215s at state that year. and for a 10th on a second looked like he was gonna shock shate champ Chad Ruggeri before getting pinned. I believe ruggeri went to throw him and he almost stopped the throw but Ruggeri was too big and strong for him too hold him, no points were awarded but I remember everyone around me going nuts when it Bischoff looked like he caught him be either way just for an undersize heavy to make it to state is a big deal in my book.

When I think of improbable paths to the state finals, I always think of Travis Youquelet from Bellmont in '05 I think.

He finished 3rd at sectionals behind Hartsell from Bluffton and Dunn from AC.

then

He finished 3rd at Regionals behind Harstell and James King from Muncie South.

and then he pulled off a big upset over either Fremont or Western guy, and finished 4th at semi-state, while none of those guys, Dunn, Hartsell, or King even made it to state.

It just shows you that as long as you qualify for SS, you have a chance, and sometimes a better chance if you finish 4th than 1st.

In 2006, Aaron Estrada at 119 for Munster started the season losing a wrestle off and starting on the JV and wound up getting better and better as the season went on and finished w/ a 26-17 record and became a SQ out of the Merrillville SS.

I second this. If you would have told me at the beginning of the season that Aaron Estrada was wrestling on Friday night @ Conseco, I would have never believed you!

If my memory serves me correct, one of the best stories I can recall was Abe Martinez from Gavit High School.  I want to say he was a 3rd placer at the Sectional back when they only took the top 2.  Someone could not wrestle at the Regional so he was the alternate and filled the vacant spot.  He caught fire and I believe he ended up placing at State.  Maybe Coach Jay of Matburns can help me with the details seeing that he bleeds the purple and gold of the Gladiators!

In 2006, Aaron Estrada at 119 for Munster started the season losing a wrestle off and starting on the JV and wound up getting better and better as the season went on and finished w/ a 26-17 record and became a SQ out of the Merrillville SS.

Nice story also.  I recall the wrestle off very well seeing that I actually officiated that one!  That post season was the first time Money A made an appearance!

Last Years 171 State Runner-up Bryce Grimes from LN. Freshman year he was a back-up most of the season until being pulled up to varsity, soph more year reg Q, junior year SSQ, and Senior year first time at state and making it to the finals and finishing 2nd.  He was a great kid who worked very hard to achieve his goals, First and only trip to the big show and he finished runner-up.

Coach Weimer

I think Gavin Mcginley last year was a bit of a Cinderella story. I dont think anyone really expected him to get to the finals. People thought he would place but not that high. He battled I believe 2 ot matches before the finals. And was close to pulling a huge upset in the finals.  It was a great finals match!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.