Class or Classless

fearless fly

Attendance was dwindling BEFORE they went to class basketball.  What do you attribute that to?

The basketball state finals sell out every year, wrestling does not.

I don't think, at this point anyway, you can talk about basketball and wrestling in the same breath in Indiana. We are coming around as a wrestling state. But, Indiana has been a huge basketball state since the 40's. I would like to see more consistent attendance throughout the state for wrestling too, but currently looking in the north east, south, central, and northwest it seems to be getting more and more attention. Believe me, we don't get the crowds or attention that our basketball program does either. But I'm positive there are many regions around the state that do. I don't think we can compare or model basketballs success in the state to wrestling. The idea of classes for team but not for individuals might be a descent compromise at some point.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Our family had experience with class wrestling in another state and after nearly a full season here without class wrestling I honestly think it really doesn't matter whether a state had a class system or not.

I think what is important is the promotion of wrestling as a sport. (All areas of wrestling folkstyle, freestyle & greco.)

I think a class/non class battle would be a waste of energy and money.

Instead, we as a wrestling community should be trying to increase off season training opportunities and having more tourneys and gaining more wrestlers as the focus of our goals.

I'm just asking because I've never organzied a wrestling tournament (and can barely drum up a good game of euchre), but how would the Saturday round work at Conseco? Around here - the goal is to wrestle under the lights at Conseco. Goals vary from region to region, but it loses a little luster, at least to me, to be wrestling under one of three lights, garnering the attention of a third of the crowd ... Could a three-class finals round be done in one day? Like I say, I don't know, so I'm just asking.

I'm just asking because I've never organzied a wrestling tournament (and can barely drum up a good game of euchre), but how would the Saturday round work at Conseco? Around here - the goal is to wrestle under the lights at Conseco. Goals vary from region to region, but it loses a little luster, at least to me, to be wrestling under one of three lights, garnering the attention of a third of the crowd ... Could a three-class finals round be done in one day? Like I say, I don't know, so I'm just asking.

Numerous other states wrestle three or four state championship matches at the same time.  And even more dramatically, they don't turn off all the lights!  It could be done many different ways.

No offence, but that doesn?t make sense. Saying "just because you win state" seems to trivialize the state championship title in general. I'm sure everyone will agree that winning a state championship, in most cases, takes allot of hard work along with a measure of luck, considering all the talent. So in your scenario the state champs loss at team state is a big win for the wrestler who beat the champ. no more and no less. It should take nothing away from the wrestler that won the state championship.

Personally I don't care for the idea of classes, the bigger schools numbers do give them an advantage, but dividing into classes would seem to diminish the overall quality at the state level. Much like the way expansion does in proffesional sports. I just don't see how it would bring more athlete's to the sport or improve development.

Just my opinion

First, no disrespect to anyone who wins a state championship, or any championship for that matter.  They earned what they did through their hard work.  I'm not sure what part of what I wrote doesn't make sense to you.  I'm not taking anything away from the guy who wins state, but loses at team state.  He was the best wrestler on the day he won that state title.  Just as if he wins and a Junior, and fails to repeat as a Senior, he still was a state champ the week before.  Once you win it, it can't be taken away from you.  Just as if we had 2 or 3 state champs per class.  They would each be state champions.  What if we had 28 weight classes instead of 14?  Would you say that the guy that won 165 wasn't really a state champ, because he couldn't beat the guy that would win at 170, 175, 180, etc.?  Wouldn't it still be that your goal is to go out and wrestle against the competition in front of you, and do your best to win every time out? 

Consolidation baby! In 10 years, it won't matter anyway!  ;D I don't see how schools can function now, let alone with the BIG cuts coming. Teachers and coaches have my utmost respect.

To me it doesn't matter if wrestling was a school sport or a club sport.  Though I would think if it was made to be a club sport we would end up losing folkstyle in the long run.  The issue would be most schools sports changing over to a Club Team format (European style)would be  a huge adjustment for most areas to make both  instucture and financially.  It's is just not something most areas could just make happen in a one or two year period if certain school sports were dropped completely or turned into a total pay to play system.  That would possibly lead to a huge downward spiral for wrestling in many areas who can sustain it without the schools support and organization.  I would hate to see that happen.

What are we debating here, because many of us post about class but have different ideas.  Is it...

1. No Class at all

2. Class the Team portion and leave the Individual the way it is

3. Class everything

I love the class wrestling discussion, but which discussion are we having.  If people supporting #1 are arguing with people from #3 this will go on forever.  If #2 is the option we are talking about at least there is a middle ground.

All of these posts about class wrestling and how many of us are even talking about the same team.  Option #2 at least seems like a good middle ground to start the discussion from.  I think even most CLASS Wrestling supporters like our individual tournament, how could you not!

One Champ for each weight class! There arent separate Super Bowls. World Series, NBA Finals, Olympics, ECT are there? CLASSLESS IS THE ONLY WAY TO GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And the best on those two days is the winner! PERIOD! You show up and do what it takes those two days or you dont! The day or week after does not matter in the least!

Good luck too all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe some of the older guys can remember the way it used to be.  It was exciting at the sectional, regional, semi-state and  state.  Round after round when they announced the team leader, I really miss those days.  Even back then a small school would fair well down at state if they had enough studs.  I also miss the excitement of the dual meets all of these long super 6?s and 8-ways!  :-[

Voting has been tampered with. There were more votes than views and I had it set as 1 vote per person so how can that be. This morning it looked fine but the count now was way one sided and I do mean way. Huh!!! I have reset the poll to zero and  going to destroy the poll. I have to say I am extremly disappointed that someone actually has done this as I was just taking a simple poll.

I find it strange that Y2 has not inquired about what happened to the results that happened in this poll. He usually is right there to help and figure out what is going on. The problem I had with the voting (which I can see how it is progressing when the tally is hidden) is yesterday morning the count was 38 for classless and 37 for class and 1s and a 2 on the others, not surprising a pretty even poll...so far. I get home from work and check it and was schocked to see the vote was 940 for class and still 38 for classless and still the trivial votes for the others with, as I said before, less views on the poll than votes....hmmmm.  I don't know if anyone else sees a problem here but that is why I decided to close it down if you were wondering.

ff

If Indiana wrestling was classed i don't know if i would have wrestled at all, and i certainly wouldn't have worked nearly as hard. I wrestled in order to prove to myself that i was the best. That was the only reason. That was the only reason i continued to push myself through a tough practice. That opportunity would not exist if the tournament was classed. Because even if you do accomplish what you set out to do and win a state title there is still another guy claiming he is the best in the state.

If Indiana wrestling was classed i don't know if i would have wrestled at all, and i certainly wouldn't have worked nearly as hard. I wrestled in order to prove to myself that i was the best. That was the only reason. That was the only reason i continued to push myself through a tough practice. That opportunity would not exist if the tournament was classed. Because even if you do accomplish what you set out to do and win a state title there is still another guy claiming he is the best in the state.

I know Chris Phillips, the Steiber brothers, the Palmers, and all the Illinois kids don't work as hard because they have classes.

Though there is a lot more financial and coaching separation in the college level. But you do make a good point Y2. It would be nice to see the runner-up and champion from each weight class and division wrestle

Everyone wants to know who the best is

It is something i struggle with everyday. Is all the hard work i put into the sport worth it? Would i be better off concentrating on academics? Honestly, i don't know yet. But as of right now i love the sport too much to call it quits.

If you were to win a championship or AA would you celebrate the accomplishment or feel cheated?  Would you proudly display the plaque or just toss it in the trash?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.