All Decade 90's v.s All Decade 00's

BlackshirtD

Hopefully I did this right..I was reading an old post about the 90's team compared to this one, and i think it would be really close on who would win. There is nothing scientific it's all my op. on how to build the strongest team for each one..I'm sure you could change a guy here or there, but just for the sake of this..here is the match ups...again I hope this works right where you can vote for 14...if not then well i apologize in advance.

Whats your favorite matches..I love hooper/coughlin...Mcubbins/Maurer...Humphrey /Meyers. Early on i am a little suprised that pat cassidy is getting no love v.s quiroga...some are not suprising like angel over Kerkoff which i agree with, but Kerkoff was sooo good, but Angel is Angel. I think Bradley/Ramos would have been a war..blood and guts match....I'm sorry to all the kids that never got to see how special Damon Hummel was..no 215 class when he was there. A 3rd place and 2 runner ups at Hwt. weighing maybe 210 at the very most...I love Irish Jake, but I truly believe Hummel would have not just won...stuck him.

My picks:

103 - Terry

112 - Vega

119 - Cassidy

125 - Bradley

130 - Humphrey

135 - Escobedo

140 - Leavell

145 - Tsirtsis

152 - Coughlin (Hooper was damn good but Coughlin's HS/FS credentials give him the edge)

160 - Howe

171 - McCubbins - I'm an MD guy, but McCubbins won just about everything he entered in.  if I remember right, he was on the Espoir world team a couple of times.  It would be a great match and Blake could very well win, but I give the nod to McCubbins

189 - Greer would have

215 - Hummel - he was great, just wasn't in the right weight class

HVY - Schneider - Larrimore was great his sr year, but he got pinned by an undersized Ruggieri (who was coached by Schneider I believe)

I have the 90's guys winning 9 matches.  I may be a little biased, but I think some people voting never saw these guys or just don't remember how good they really were.

Larimore also went out and won Sr. Nationals, beating UO starting HWT Nathan Fernandez in the finals. He also finished the year ranked #1 in the country. None of the other HWTs in this poll accomplished what Big Dex did. He did lose to Asics AA and multi-year NCAA qualifier Chris Kasten when he was a junior and Kasten was a senior (he also beat Kasten that season, too), but no one had a better senior year than Larimore.

I think we were just talking about wrestling in INDIANA. I'm sure there are heavyweights that have some great accolades outside of IHSAA wrestling, but I think the spirit of the question lies in the spotlight Indy. Kasten or Chico would have been a more accurrate slection. Schneider still beats whoever lines up across from him though, one of the best heavys IN has ever seen.

Larimore also went out and won Sr. Nationals, beating UO starting HWT Nathan Fernandez in the finals. He also finished the year ranked #1 in the country. None of the other HWTs in this poll accomplished what Big Dex did. He did lose to Asics AA and multi-year NCAA qualifier Chris Kasten when he was a junior and Kasten was a senior (he also beat Kasten that season, too), but no one had a better senior year than Larimore.

You have to admit Ruggerri was an anomaly, I don't think he pursued national exposure like Dex

Ruggeri was great, and definitely the most entertaining HWT I've ever seen from Indiana, but he did participate at Sr. Nationals and didn't come close to placing.  Ruggeri didn't even make the state finals any other year. National events are important in comparing wrestlers from different years because the depth in our state varies from year to year. Ruggeri dominated the state finals his Sr. year, but he was pinning a sopohmore in the finals, albeit a very gifted sophomore. Dex's technique improved by leaps and bounds from his sophomore season to his senior season, and if you're using Larimore's loss to Kasten as a junior to exclude him, then Dex's :40 pin of Chico should be mentioned as well.. This is not meant to badmouth Ruggeri, b/c I wish all HWTs brought the high-wire act he used to destroy the competition his senior year.

For just one year, Larimore was as dominant as any HWT in recent Indiana history, and his senior year compares favorably with just about every HWT in the country not named Mocco.

Wow! What a great list.  Seeing some of those names does bring back memories.  I think the 90s wins this dual because of depth.  00s is and has been top heavy.  Some great wrestlers but overall not as deep as the 90s.  Hard to compare Hummell to todays 215s because he used his quickness, length and tech against bigger slower wrestlers and got beat by your pick at HWT Schneirder who IMO is the quickest 270 lber Ive ever seen who flat out dominated the HWT class his senior and junior year.  Cassidy should def be getting more votes.  Cashe is good but Cassidy was a 3x state champ. And Case Hooper dominated both his junior and senior year.  A guy that was strong, well coached and had great tech. 

It would be a great dual to watch!!!

Guest Super Nova

I think they were 189 and 215 in the 90's but what about Anton Talamontes and D.J. Radnovich.  I know Radnovich pinned his way through state and was wrestling up to avoid Talamontes.  The fans chanted his name (Radnovich)..

This was my first ever state Tournament and to hear fans chanting a wrestlers name sent chills up my spine!!

I think they were 189 and 215 in the 90's but what about Anton Talamontes and D.J. Radnovich.  I know Radnovich pinned his way through state and was wrestling up to avoid Talamontes.  The fans chanted his name (Radnovich)..

This was my first ever state Tournament and to hear fans chanting a wrestlers name sent chills up my spine!!

Radnovich was very impressive as a senior, but he didn't pin his way through state.  He won a 1 or 2 point match in his SS final, although, he did pin everyone at State that year.

Radnovich over powered and lateraled everyone he faced...Just the length of hummel and his own ability to throw would have been fun, but I truly believe Hummel would beat Radnovich...He was a fan favorite though..I remember those chants too..Talamentes is right there...I just went with moore/greer...The more I think about it i already voted for Maurer, the more I want McCubbins now..I think personally that there are some of the greatest wrestlers of all time in this past decade, but I agree that the 90's depth was too much. There were some guys in the 90's that were 1 timers that I personally thought were better than some of the guys on here...guys who did not even win state like a Gill Journey..1 timers Vinnie Gresham, Andy Trevino, Matt Graham,James Torres..Then there are some guys who just kinda split the decade like Ramos, Sheets, Freddie Joseph..Someone mentioned an 80's list. I think I only made it down in 88', 89 so I couldn't make that list seriously other than the obvious Lance Ellis, and Keith Davison.

McCubbins was the best upper weight wrestler in Indiana I've personally seen. Maurer was so technically sound and mentally tough that I think he would keep the match close, but my money would be on the Monrovia Mauler.

Would love to see some of these hypothetical matchups, especially Maurer/McCubbins, Hooper/Coughlin, Tsirtsis/Smith and Young/Leavell.

Ruggeri was great, and definitely the most entertaining HWT I've ever seen from Indiana, but he did participate at Sr. Nationals and didn't come close to placing.  Ruggeri didn't even make the state finals any other year. National events are important in comparing wrestlers from different years because the depth in our state varies from year to year. Ruggeri dominated the state finals his Sr. year, but he was pinning a sopohmore in the finals, albeit a very gifted sophomore. Dex's technique improved by leaps and bounds from his sophomore season to his senior season, and if you're using Larimore's loss to Kasten as a junior to exclude him, then Dex's :40 pin of Chico should be mentioned as well.. This is not meant to badmouth Ruggeri, b/c I wish all HWTs brought the high-wire act he used to destroy the competition his senior year.

For just one year, Larimore was as dominant as any HWT in recent Indiana history, and his senior year compares favorably with just about every HWT in the country not named Mocco.

That's where the word ANOMALY comes in, very unusual for a wrestler to dominate a state  then absolutely do nothing else competition wise.

McCubbins was the best upper weight wrestler in Indiana I've personally seen. Maurer was so technically sound and mentally tough that I think he would keep the match close, but my money would be on the Monrovia Mauler.

Would love to see some of these hypothetical matchups, especially Maurer/McCubbins, Hooper/Coughlin, Tsirtsis/Smith and Young/Leavell.

I know you are well aware of this Dingo and I have posted this here before, but it was last season and it is just so impressive I'm going to have to do it again.

David McCubbins - National Championships

1990 Cadet f/S 167 David McCubbins (OW Award) Monrovia

1990 Cadet G/R 167 David McCubbins Monrovia

1991 Espoir G/R 180 David McCubbins (OW Award) Monrovia 

1991 Espoir F/S 180 David McCubbins (OW Award) Monrovia *Dave said that this was a typo and he didn't receive the OW that year...Aww

1992 Junior F/S 178 David McCubbins (OW Award) Monrovia

1992 Junior G/R 178 David McCubbins Monrovia

1993 Espoir G/R 180 Nat. Greco Champ.

How is that for a resume?

Yeah *scratches head*, I think he mentioned it on here that if he had it to do over again he would have wrestled with the injury.  It happened right before state....correct?  Undeafeated...breaks his jaw and then understandably doesnt wrestle at State.

He does have some little ones coming up....but as of last season he said they needed "some work".  They couldn't have a better teacher, eh?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.