Bellmont Invite

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They do have an AD and principal that can advise them(aka tell) to not travel that far in these conditions.  I would assume that the Howe organizers understand the situation and will let them wrestle there next year. 

Yeah, but Dean Doerffler and John Marks are pretty hands off in that regards, believe me.  To me, I beat it was a coaches decision based off parents concerns.  This is generally how Lutheran schools handle these things.  Some parent calls in and then another and pretty soon the parents are deciding the schedule. 

Great statement Y2, however does that mean Perry is putting their student athletes at risk????  You seem to be the all knowing so how is B-South not going when HWY37 is clear and Perry is just up HWY37??

i dont know why bloomington south isnt making the trip b/c there isnt anything wrong with the road conditions up here around perry and i was down by bloomington south today and everything looked good up there with roads, so probably better they dont show b/c would have been a pretty tough weekend for them. and to much good competition for them

Since there is a shake-up in the teams competing it would be great if whitko would wrestle bellmont instead of concordia especially since one-whs and fw cord has already faced each other and two-bellmont kids may face whs kids at semi state

Hard to argue if a decision is based on the safety of a group of teenagers.  May not be popular, but safety comes first.  If the AD believes there mis a safety concern, then he has to do what he believes is best for his students.

Great statement Y2, however does that mean Perry is putting their student athletes at risk????  You seem to be the all knowing so how is B-South not going when HWY37 is clear and Perry is just up HWY37??

As evident with Castle coming to Decatur and Evansville Memorial not, administrations are all completely different.  As your coach or AD for the reasoning and not this "know it all."

Since there is a shake-up in the teams competing it would be great if whitko would wrestle bellmont instead of concordia especially since one-whs and fw cord has already faced each other and two-bellmont kids may face whs kids at semi state

I believe that Whitko is wrestling Bellmont now.

I take it you wouldn't be concerned if your kids were traveling to Indianapolis with uncertain weather conditions.  I am not a parent, but definitely would be.  Its horrible when administrators and coaches put the safety of the kids first isn't it?

Ok, Joe... I and everyone else respects everything that you do for and on this website, but seriously man you get really worked up over discussion topics. You and I both know that safety is the primary concern for everyone, but if you look at the weather forecast for tomorrow there is supposed to be very little snowfall in the Indianapolis area, about as much as there is here.  I think that it is great that Concordia is able to stay in the area, but as coaches, parents, ad's, etc. you also want to put your athletes on as even a ground as possible and lets face in the Cadets just do not have the depth to compete with these other teams.

As with Bluffton, I assume the coach would like his elite kids to see some of the competition that they could be facing at semi-state and state and have them tested.  Nothing against my main puke cleaner upper, but Bluffton isn't close to the level of those teams either. 

If you want the answer to why, call or email the coach or AD. 

It seems some people are forgetting that even though 69 is perfectly fine now, when the teams had to make the decision they definitely were not. As much as we all hate to see great teams leaving this tournament, I think the schools made the right safety call. If nothing happened nobody would complain, but if something did happen there is a huge liability for the school.

It seems some people are forgetting that even though 69 is perfectly fine now, when the teams had to make the decision they definitely were not. As much as we all hate to see great teams leaving this tournament, I think the schools made the right safety call. If nothing happened nobody would complain, but if something did happen there is a huge liability for the school.

I can tell you this, I already Know of 7 starters parents that would have gladly took their own kids to this.  I have not spoke to the others.  I also know of a couple of them didn't know that Bellmont was still on for tomorrow and were pretty pissed.  When did Perry make it's decision??  B-South made it at 10am.  Maybe it should be left up to the parents and the cut budgets of AD's that don't care about wrestling wouldn't have to worry!!!!

They do have an AD and principal that can advise them(aka tell) to not travel that far in these conditions.  I would assume that the Howe organizers understand the situation and will let them wrestle there next year.  

We considered this earlier in the week with the travel conditions. I  and the AD requested emergency contact information from each school that is participating in the invite to informed them of a later start time of 10:00am if necessary. The majority of the teams that are coming are right here located in Indianapolis. Our AD spoke with the AD from Ft. Wayne Concordia and they will be honoring the contract that was signed. I totally understand the concern from the parent aspect. I know the coach from Concordia fairly well and he has a class act there. An opportunity presented itself with the Belmont Duals and was inquried about from Concordia. As stated above they will be honoring their contract. Nonetheless, there will be an exciting day of wrestling at the first Annual Howe Hornet Invitational. Competition starts at 9:00am depending on weather or at 10:00am at the latest. Teams that are still participating are: Scecina, Chatard, Attucks, Columbus East, and Ft. Wayne Concordia. May everyone travel safely on the hi-ways and bi-ways to their respective tournament tomorrrow and be blessed.

James Brown

Varisty Wrestling Coach

TC Howe Community HS

I agree Boot.Been snowing lightly in Tipton all evening. My son came home from a friends house and couldn't believe how slick the roads are in just a few hours. I know everyone will be cautious...just don't get in a hurry. Be safe and good luck.

I know I am a little late on this post but still felt the need to put my two cents in. As a parent of a Concordia wrestler I can tell you that there was not any question about changing the tournament. The boys had hotel rooms reserved and were planning on attending the Indianapolis tournament even on the day that it snowed.  As a mom I have the same concerns that Joe spoke of however, I have the utmost confidence in our coaches and school staff and trust them to not jeopardize our wrestler's safety and well being.  I was just a little upset to see that it looked like we had considered backing out of the tournament to attend another. The tournament was a good experience and good competition. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.