Laporte IHSAA Reprimand

Insanoflex

From the April 2nd edition of the South Bend Tribune:

LaPorte reprimanded

LaPorte High School wrestling coach Louie Kuzdas has been reprimanded by the Indiana High School Athletic Association for allowing a former Slicer athlete to practice with the team.

In its March 27 Executive Committee meeting, the IHSAA issued a formal warning to the LaPorte wrestling program and reprimanded Kuzdas for violating bylaw 15-1.1d, which prohibits a school's alumni from scrimmaging with a team.

Kuzdas said the violation occurred in the week prior to the Merrillville individual semistate on Feb. 14.

"We had an alumnus who came back to work with one of our wrestlers who was going to the semistate," said Kuzdas. "We broke a rule. It won't happen again."

LaPorte athletic director Ed Gilliland reported the infraction to the IHSAA.

"When I saw what happened, I turned us in," said Gilliland. "I don't go out looking for trouble, but a rule is a rule, and we addressed the situation right away."

I know the rules are the rules, but isn't this just a bit nitpicky?  When I was in college and on winter break, I used to go up and wrestle with my former team.  I guess I should report those violations back in 1986 to the IHSAA then.

Well, kudos to Louie Kuzdas for not giving the "everybody does it" argument, even though this is possibly one of the most appropriate cases to use it.  I appreciate when people just say they made a mistake and they will try to correct it.

Hmm, silly me, I thought this was one way to help build tradition, and a strong program. You have kids come in and help the new guys on the team. They get to share stories about what they went through, how they were able to handle getting through the practices ect, and if they were a state qualifier, or placer, they get to talk to the kids about what it took to get through the tournament. They also get to show some moves that the new guys may not know.

I just dont understand the IHSAA sometimes. It is heavyhanded rules like this that make people look to the legislature for relief from them. They really ought to take a hard look at their draconian rules, and enforcement of the same. For far to long they have hed little if any oversight to what they do, and how they do it.

This is a situation that should not only NOT be against the rules, it ought to be encouraged. It helps tie one year to the next, and if the graduate in question has wrestled in college, it help promote the opportunities that are available through wrestling.

I understand why the rule is in place.  There are all sorts of liability issues with an adult who is not part of the school system to be wrestling around with high schoolers.  I absolutely think it can be a benefit and absolutely would take advantage of it if there is a way to do so within the rules.  And I don't blame the AD for turning him in.  Hopefully he contacted the coach beforehand.

It seems crazy to me that the AD is the one who turned this in. 

I think it might be an overreaction to an instance this past fall where a transfer student played in a football game and the proper paperwork wasn't filed with the state, resulting in a forfeit of a game that Laporte had won.

Before our season starts, I supply a lengthy list to our AD who in-turn submits it to our Board of Trustees for approval. Probably half of the list never even make it in, but they have been approved. I know it sounds, and is, ridiculous in a way, but it is just one of the hoops in which we have to jump for the IHSAA.

JB

The rule is probably for insurance and liability purposes.  If a kid would get injured by a person not approved as a coach it could lead to some nasty litigation.

Good point, but then shouldn't this be a rule to be decided by the school systems instead of the IHSAA?  The school systems are the ones liable.

Fortunately for me, I haven't had to worry about this rule since I've never had alumni before.  Next year this may become an issue I have deal with.  It's good to know how the IHSAA responds.  I'll have to ask my AD how he'd respond.

We had this occur back in the mid 90's.  The father of one of our wrestlers kept asking us to bring in a couple of former wrestlers to "beat on" (his words) his son and "make him tougher".  One of them came back for Christmas break and attended practice.  After he did, the dad reported it to our AD.  Our head coach was suspended for one meetand we received a reprimand.

We had this occur back in the mid 90's.  The father of one of our wrestlers kept asking us to bring in a couple of former wrestlers to "beat on" (his words) his son and "make him tougher".  One of them came back for Christmas break and attended practice.  After he did, the dad reported it to our AD.  Our head coach was suspended for one meetand we received a reprimand.

This falls into one or both of the following catagories....

The dad is chicken fecal matter.

And be careful what you wish for.

Oh, ane one other catagory that is near and dear to this board, this was a classless thing to do.......

That is a ridiculous rule... when i went home for Christmas i wrestled everyday with my little brother and my old team.. there should not b a rule against that.. a lot of my old teammates also came to wrestling practice while they were on christmas vacation from college its like a tradition it happens every year. we just miss the sport or have family on the team that we just want to push hard and make them better. My brothers team had no 171 189 or HWT and he was 215 so he had no body 2 really practice with so those 2 weeks i was home i made sure he was gettin some serious mat time in and it payed off he was a SSQ.. i still can't believe that is a rule...  :-\

wow...if anyone wanted to know im the alumni that came back to practice with the team

I knew that it was you midget5589, but I wasn't going to out you on this.  It's a silly rule, kind of like that radio commercial I heard the other day about it being illegal to cross the Minnesota state line with a duck on your head.

wow...if anyone wanted to know im the alumni that came back to practice with the team

I knew that it was you midget5589, but I wasn't going to out you on this.  It's a silly rule, kind of like that radio commercial I heard the other day about it being illegal to cross the Minnesota state line with a duck on your head.

Should I self report myself the to the Minnesota authorties?

Also anybody that wants to talk about doing it, please list your school name also, just for my notes..........Thanks!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.