Actual Congradulations to Cathedral

BlueBolt

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They looked very tired against CP. It had to be tough after wrestling arguably the best team in the state first round. IMO, yesterday they were the 2nd best team, with a better draw they could have won it all. Cp is a hell of a team though, and very deserving of the title.

Congrats to the Irish on a great season! Tough luck this year but keep on truckin, you'll get there someday.

sidenote:The team State tourney should be seeded somehow, I think both Mishawaka and Cathedral got the shaft on the draws this year.

And the team tournament should not be seeded.  Who's to say Cathedral or Mishawaka would have beaten Castle or Perry?  It's all in the match-ups.  Leave it alone.  A blind draw is as fair as it can be.

And the team tournament should not be seeded.  Who's to say Cathedral or Mishawaka would have beaten Castle or Perry?  It's all in the match-ups.  Leave it alone.  A blind draw is as fair as it can be.

Perry got destroyed by Cathedral and that is with one of their best wrestlers losing (G. Mcginly).  They match up very very very well against Perry! Castle might have been close but I still think they win. 

And Castle lost by quite a few to Mater Dei the first time around, losing several close matches.  The second time around, Castle won three 1-point matches and a couple of 2-point matches to win by several pts.  Couldn't it have happened with Perry and Cathedral, too?

And Castle lost by quite a few to Mater Dei the first time around, losing several close matches.  The second time around, Castle won three 1-point matches and a couple of 2-point matches to win by several pts.  Couldn't it have happened with Perry and Cathedral, too?

The close matches in the meet are ones that Cathedral lost.

They looked very tired against CP. It had to be tough after wrestling arguably the best team in the state first round. IMO, yesterday they were the 2nd best team, with a better draw they could have won it all. Cp is a hell of a team though, and very deserving of the title.

Congrats to the Irish on a great season! Tough luck this year but keep on truckin, you'll get there someday.

sidenote:The team State tourney should be seeded somehow, I think both Mishawaka and Cathedral got the shaft on the draws this year.

Tired Shmired.  IC would not have done as well as they did at Ind State, if they were not in good enough shape to wrestle two wrestling matches in 2 aor 3 hours.

I wasn' t watching that match, but it is possible that they had an emotional let down.  That can make you appear lethargic.  From what I saw however, is that that wrestled well and barely got beat by a great team.

Complaining about the draw diminishes their great accomplishment. 

CPs HWT was not a lock to win against PM.  If he loses instead of pins, PM wins.  The final four were evenly matched.  Throw in MISH and Bellmont, and you have very close dual meet teams.

"There are no excuses, only winners and losers."

Are you saying that PM's 112 matched up with Hawkins?  If so, you are crazy, Hawkins manhandled that kid.

bbmeat1,

you say Perry Meridian won all of the close matches with Cathedral...lets see if that is acurate.

at 112 Roytech © dec Clem (PM) 2-1

at 125 Grey © dec Johnson (PM) 3-0

at 152 Sullivan © dec Wood (PM) 4-1

at 189 Poling © dec Richards (PM) 2-1

turn those matches around (like Castle did to Mater Dei) and 34-21 Cathedral becomes 33-22 Perry Meridian.

and G McGinley losing to Tasseff was no fluke since he did beat him again at the semi state.

and with T McGinley's health, Tonte is always a threat to catch him, and Hudgins getting thrown and pinned isn't likely to happen again, and both Schaefers are capable of getting falls...really the only guy in Cathedral's line-up that was safe was Wright. This could have been 51-5 Perry Meridian. OK, sarcasm off. Cathedral and Perry Meridian are 2 of Indiana's elite programs and have had 2 great dual meets the past 2 years and I look forward to the rivalry continuing. But when you claim "Perry got destroyed by Cathedral", your loss of objectivity diminishes your credibility. Both teams had outstanding seasons. Cathedral knocked out the defending champs and Perry Meridian emerged as state runner up. I could give you another example from our recent history. Last year we defeated Mishawaka (the only team to do so). That victory meant absolutly nothing when Mishawaka beat us at team state last year. Cheer for your team and accept the results as they unfolded, but don't you dare try to tarnish what we did this year in a misguided attempt to make yourself feel better. The Irish are better that that.

Coach Thornton is right. The Cathedral-Perry outcome was definitely affected by momentum. That's not to take anything away from Cathedral's win--on that day, they were the better team.

However, at the time, the Willis pin was borderline shocking. Hudgins is a very solid wrestler and just looked a little flat that evening. Willis had a great match and it seemed to serve as a springboard for the entire Irish squad. Stokes is a solid kid, for sure, but his pin of Schaefer was unexpected. Again, he wrestled a great match that night. Buchanan very nearly knocked off Chris Schaefer as well, and Schaefer is one tough kid. Tonte was absolutely not himself that night, getting blown out of the water by an opportunistic Tony Mac. Tonte showed up much, much better at New Castle (although he was eventually pinned). Almost every match was highly contested and most of the close ones went to Cathedral that night. On the Irish side of things, Gavin certainly is capable of beating Tasseff.

All that said, it was a great season for both Perry and Cathedral and I'll be one of many looking forward to seeing them reload next year. There are only a handful of teams in the state that could absorb losing wrestlers of such high caliber and remain legit threats to challenge for a state title next year, and these are two ot them. Crown Point still looks like a pretty strong favorite for next season, but it's a long, unpredictable year between now and then.

Thornton,

Sullivan wrestled Wood at 152 and I do believe that they met again and Sullivan beat him then too.  The only point Wood got either match was from being cut.  I don't think Sullivan was in any danger of losing, although I do agree the score was very close, but Sullivan seemed in control both times they wrestled.  I agree if Tonte had gotten T. McGinley in a headlock, he had a shot of beating him.  I agree that the match was closer than the score indicated, but you still have to admit that Cathedral was better in the dual on that particular night.  I also think that if we wrestled Team State again today, we might see a different winner.  

Regradless, Congratulations to all of the teams that made it to state - You worked for it and you earned it - Good luck next season!!

bbmeat1,

you say Perry Meridian won all of the close matches with Cathedral...lets see if that is acurate.

at 112 Roytech © dec Clem (PM) 2-1

at 125 Grey © dec Johnson (PM) 3-0

at 152 Corsaro © dec Wood (PM) 4-1

at 189 Poling © dec Richards (PM) 2-1

turn those matches around (like Castle did to Mater Dei) and 34-21 Cathedral becomes 33-22 Perry Meridian.

and G McGinley losing to Tasseff was no fluke since he did beat him again at the semi state.

and with T McGinley's health, Tonte is always a threat to catch him, and Hudgings getting thrown and pinned isn't likely to happen again, and both Schaefers are capable of getting falls...really the only guy in Cathedral's line-up that was safe was Wright. This could have been 51-5 Perry Meridian. OK, sarcasm off. Cathedral and Perry Meridian are 2 of Indiana's elite programs and have had 2 great dual meets the past 2 years and I look forward to the rivalry continuing. But when you claim "Perry got destroyed by Cathedral", your loss of objectivity diminishes your credibility. Both teams had outstanding seasons. Cathedral knocked out the defending champs and Perry Meridian emerged as state runner up. I could give you another example from our recent history. Last year we defeated Mishawaka (the only team to do so). That victory meant absolutly nothing when Mishawaka beat us at team state last year. Cheer for your team and accept the results as they unfolded, but don't you dare try to tarnish what we did this year in a misguided attempt to make yourself feel better. The Irish are better that that.

You are right on two of those, the Poling match could change and the Roytek match could also. However, Grey was in control of Johnson the whole time. I think Johnson also got hit with a point for stalling on bottom. At 152 it was Sullivan controlling that match also, he constantly shooting on wood. I believe they wrestled after that and with the same outcome again.  If you want to call those close then you must call the Robinson vs Hoffi match close also. That went Perrys way.

Tonte would not catch tony mac in a head lock. Hell he thew about fifteen in the match and couldnt hit with any of them.

If we wrestled again we might not pin at 160 but we still win (maybe a major) and the same goes for hvy. Also did Grey wrestle Johnson twice this year?

I never implied that we didn't win any close matches. I simply refuted your claim that the close matches were the ones that Cathedral lost. Yes, Tasseff beat G McGinley 3-2, Robinson beat Hoffmeister 6-4, C Schaefer beat Buchanan 6-3, so we won some close matches. My contention is that your initial premise; that Perry got destroyed by Cathedral, was at best flawed and at worst partisan hyperbole. Cathedral was better that night, but as I stated in my previous post concerning Perry and Mishawaka last year, that initial win was about as useful as shoelaces for a frog. As for what could have happened, just let it go. Trust me, I speak from experience. I have documented our tribulations at the state finals on other threads and we have had our share of bad luck. You have to roll with the punches and play the hand that is dealt. There will come a day when Perry Meridian has Mishawaka, Crown Point and Mater Dei on their side of the bracket (oh wait...that was last year with Merrillville representing the Northwest) and the Irish eyes are smiling with their draw on the other side. Let me know if you still want the finals seeded then.

No the heavyweight match was NOT one of the close ones...perhaps we have yet to be introduced to the concept of sarcasm. The thing about heavyweights and guys named Jacob Tonte is that sometimes they can look bad for large portions of a match and then all of the sudden you find yourself in the unenviable position of "counting the lights". Perhaps if we just gave you our runner up trophy from this year, would that appease you? I will let you continue to chase your tail on this subject while I return to the real world of things that actually happened.

Congrats are due to Cathedral, what a great year. Depending on the draw yes they could have been in the championship match. Congrats to Perry as well. I love to watch when these two schools go at it, They could wrestle 10 times, and the team scores could be evenly split 5-5.  This years team state may have been the most cometitive as far as the number of teams that could have won it. With a match here or there, we could easily have been talking about a championship match between PM and Cath. Both are great teams, and programs, and I expect both to come back next year. With the structure these two programs have at the youth level, they will be strong into the foreseeable future as well.

If you ain't first, you're last.

We are both junior varsity programs this year. If either Cathedral or Perry would have sacked up on Saturday, someone could have bragging rights. Until then, we will have to be the best in metro Indy and try to figure out how to stop the folks at the geographic ends of our state.  I love that Perry and Cathedral took a shot at a dual meet series with each other. However, best in Indianapolis will always be a lot less impressive than best in Indiana.

Congrats to Perry and Cathedral on a nice season. And, hopefully many more action-packed duals to come. . .

Thorton, if my post was partisan hyperbole, then why are you taking it so literally? Hyperbole is just a figure of speech to convey overstatement.

So my comment was at best partisan hyperbole and at worst severely flawed.

Thorton, if my post was partisan hyperbole, then why are you taking it so literally? Hyperbole is just a figure of speech to convey overstatement.

So my comment was at best partisan hyperbole and at worst severely flawed.

Why wouldn't I take it literally? Or are you now saying that you didn't mean what you wrote? All I did was point out where your reasoning was flawed and give some possible explanation for it. And congratulations on finding your dictionary so you could let us all know what hyperbole means.

Also I believe the score between Stokes and Schaeffer before the fall was 15-5 Stokes. That is also one of those close ones too though, huh?

That score was like that because SCHAEFER kept trying to headlock and missed everytime, its not like Stokes took him down at will

Also I believe the score between Stokes and Schaeffer before the fall was 15-5 Stokes. That is also one of those close ones too though, huh?

That score was like that because SCHAEFER kept trying to headlock and missed everytime, its not like Stokes took him down at will

Why would Stokes have any need to shoot if Schaefer was missing so badly?  If a wrestler is willing to put himself in a bad position the best strategy is to do nothing and let him.

Perry would not have beat Cathedral. The Irish lineup had already changed when they wrestled in their dual meet. Cathedral beat Mishawaka because of the different lineup the Cavemen hadn't seen yet. Don't care if its seeded or not. Cathedral was the 2nd best team in the state. They match up well with Perry. Better then CP did. The top 3 teams were CP, CHS, and MHS all could beat eachother. Castle and Perry round out the top 5 and they could hang with those 3 and pull off and upset forsure if they win a couple of swing matches. There was not a wrestling fan in the state that didn't know whoever came from that side of the bracket was going to win team state. I know there are Perry and Castle fans who thought they could win, but thats why I said wrestling fans.