Putting The Rankings Into Perspective

RankingsGuy

As we enter this weekend, 143 wrestlers out of the 224 competing this weekend ended the regular season ranked in the top 16 in their respective weight classes, and several more had been ranked at some point in the season.  This means that, on average, there are over 10 kids at each weight who finished the regular season ranked in the top 16.  Y2 will be posting my preview of the first round, highlighting all of the Friday night matches between 2 ranked wrestlers, which there are 39 of, and that preview will also  include bout numbers and mat numbers for the fan's convenience.  I would also like to note that there are only 9 matches in the entire first round that do not contain at least 1 ranked wrestler. 

Being that some ranked wrestlers took out other ranked wrestlers in the past two weekends  I'd say your over all track record was decent this year.  Maybe not in the perfect order but at least it recognized most of the top wrestlers in each weight class.

Based on the numbers it looks like 112, 152 and 215 were the most difficult to rank this year as they were the only weight classes that didn't have at least 10 ranked wrestlers qualify for Conseco.   

Not necessarily.  That could just mean more ranked kids in those weights ran into each other in the last few weekend and knocked each other out.  It would take a bit more research to find that info out.  I'd be intersted to see how close the rankings came to showing the top 16 without worrying about the exact order.  Meaning how many times did a none ranked kids actaully eliminate a ranked guy.  If this only happened a few time from sectionals through the entire state finals then you could say the rankings guy did a very accurate job on picking the top 16 minus the exact order.

Based on the numbers it looks like 112, 152 and 215 were the most difficult to rank this year as they were the only weight classes that didn't have at least 10 ranked wrestlers qualify for Conseco.   

Not necessarily.  That could just mean more ranked kids in those weights ran into each other in the last few weekend and knocked each other out.  It would take a bit more research to find that info out.  I'd be intersted to see how close the rankings came to showing the top 16 without worrying about the exact order.  Meaning how many times did a none ranked kids actaully eliminate a ranked guy.  If this only happened a few time from sectionals through the entire state finals then you could say the rankings guy did a very accurate job on picking the top 16 minus the exact order.

You're right, it would take more research but as I looked at some of the kids who were ranked that got knocked out at SS, it seemed it was unranked kids knocking them off more often than not but I can't say that for everyone.  I'm guessing (sorry, no research again) that most, if not all, ranked wrestlers were eliminated at the SS level. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.