Team State vs. Individual State

If you have never been to team state it is worth trying.  People who have not attended are missing out on something great.  It really highlight what wrestling is as a team sport.  You got to love the energy of having every single match feel like the spotlight match of the meet.  I like it as much as the individual state finals.

If you have never been to team state it is worth trying.  People who have not attended are missing out on something great.  It really highlight what wrestling is as a team sport.  You got to love the energy of having every single match feel like the spotlight match of the meet.  I like it as much as the individual state finals.

it is usually an either/or proposition for me, but since this year is my old teams first year qualifing, i will definately try to make an exception. 

Individual...But then I am "Old School" and think that is the way Wrestling should be - One person at a time representing their school, their team, and themselves, for as many weekends as possible.

The argument can be made that is also the case for Team State, but if you happen to lose as an individual in the Team State you can still advance based on the strength of those around you.

I guess I see the Individual tourney as more of a pure test.

Just my two cents...

the individual by a bit. i just enjoy alot of wretling so where else can you see two days of great wrestling trying to watch four mats at a time. i have been lucky to make both the last couple years but not this year, too bad for me.

Personally this is a TOSS-UP for me.  I love both.  Here are a couple PRO's and CON's of each.

Individual State

The overall individual talent of the wrestlers has taken a dive over the years.  That is just my personal opinion.

More Expensive (Primarily because of "THE PUB" located at Pennsylvania and Georgia

Dave Flemming (Best tournament director in the STATE.....PERIOD)

More Girls (McCarthy)

Beer Intermission or Wrestle-Backs (Whatever you want to call it, I'm of age so it IS legal!)

SENIOR ALERTS!!!!!!!!!! (If you are a senior, I am watching you AND your last match for that matter)

Finals underneath the lights!

Conseco Fieldhouse

Team State

The fact that Mater Dei is not going to be at team state this year diminishes the excitement.  Everyone has the dream of beating Mater Dei and quieting the best fans in the sport.

Further from the City (LONGER DRIVE)

T.E.A.M (Together Everyone Achieves More)

Revenge Matches from Individual State Weekend

NO BACKS on the Seats.......I HATE BLEACHERS

THIS IS JUST A COUPLE LET ME KNOW IF I'M FORGETTING ANYTHING

I think both would have their strengths.  Individual State would have the advantage if you're looking for the quality of wrestling.  However, I would think the atmosphere (tension) would have to go to Team State.  I've never been to Team State, but have partaken any many Team Regional and good regular dual matches.

Personally this is a TOSS-UP for me.  I love both.  Here are a couple PRO's and CON's of each.

Individual State

The overall individual talent of the wrestlers has taken a dive over the years.  That is just my personal opinion.

More Expensive (Primarily because of "THE PUB" located at Pennsylvania and Georgia

Dave Flemming (Best tournament director in the STATE.....PERIOD)

More Girls (McCarthy)

Beer Intermission or Wrestle-Backs (Whatever you want to call it, I'm of age so it IS legal!)

SENIOR ALERTS!!!!!!!!!! (If you are a senior, I am watching you AND your last match for that matter)

Finals underneath the lights!

Conseco Fieldhouse

Team State

The fact that Mater Dei is not going to be at team state this year diminishes the excitement.  Everyone has the dream of beating Mater Dei and quieting the best fans in the sport.

Further from the City (LONGER DRIVE)

T.E.A.M (Together Everyone Achieves More)

Revenge Matches from Individual State Weekend

NO BACKS on the Seats.......I HATE BLEACHERS

THIS IS JUST A COUPLE LET ME KNOW IF I'M FORGETTING ANYTHING

You should add the famous snow-cones to the ind. list

That is a great point.  I bet Center Grove's AD was TICKED off when he found out MD was eliminated.

I think they should advertise a special at Individual State........

For example...

Half price admission if you bring your individual state ticket stub.

Free concession stand vouchers  with purchase of a team state ticket.

Free T-Shirt with purchase of team state ticket.

High school/College Id gets you half price admission.

Let me hear some of the other ones.

you and i both know it would have been more pleasant to beat them at center grove if the opportunity presented itself.  You are acting like a first time state qualifier..........Oh you are......OH SORRY!

Actually I would have to say we are just fine taking away your opportunity to salivate all over them at Center Grove.  We did after all beat them just to make you mad...

Well you and the AD at Center Grove...Lord knows we will be missing his Christmas Cards...

Having wrestled in both, the team state really blows your mind.  Having all members of your team with you on that kind of level is awesome.  Individual state is fun as well, but team state was much more exciting since the whole team is there.  Walkin around in CGHS with the lights off as they announce your team, and then introduce the entire team with a giant 8 man faceoff.  Sends chills up my spine every time I watch the video.

Personally, it would be a toss up as well.  However, I will say that for our team, advancing in the team series has actually brought more fans and supporters to our program.  For a person who has never really been around the sport, or who may be more accustomed to watching team sports, it presents a familiar format that keeps them involved in the action.  I still get comments made to me about how exciting those meets were and how intriguing it was to watch the coaching staffs from both teams strategize with their lineups.  Now, some of these same people are regular attendees at many of our local meets and support the team.  They have also gained a knowledge about the sport they would not have otherwise garnered.  Several of these people were administrators in our own school corporation.  They would always ask how we did before, but now when they ask, they have a genuine desire to know how things went if they could not be there, and they even understand what you tell them when you explained what happened.  On a side note to that, I can remember when one of my high school teammates won a state championship that not a single administrator came to the state finals to watch him.  They ALL stayed home (even the AD) while this kid won the first state championship of any kind for the school.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.