Team State vs. Individual State

Personally, I hold the opinion that the best way to grow interest in the sport is through the team aspect, not the individual. For an average fan, it is much easier to keep interested if their watching a team event vs. watching just one individual. Sure, individual state has the quality of wrestling. But I bet majority of the people attending are there to watch just a few wrestlers; like family members or people watching friends from school. So these people get to see their wrestler of interest for a 6 minute match. Then have to wait hours on end before they see that wrestler do it again.  Even if you're a fan of a very good team that sends 5 or 6 kids to individual state. There still is a lot of waiting around between matches.

However, with a team event, your interest is up for a couple hours at a time. This is also why I don't like holding team regionals in the middle of a week. I believe that the team series should be held after the individual series. More people would be inclined to go if they were held on a Saturday vs. on a Wednesday. So I think it's imperative that we embrace team state, just maybe more-so than individual state.

I am going to have to say Individual State.  There is nothing more rewarding than knowing that you, and only you hold your fate in your hand.  You either win and advance to the next day or lose and go home.  If you are fortunate enough to place there is no better feeling (in my mind) than standing on that awards podium knowing that all of your hard work finally paid off.  At Team State, you can lose every match you wrestle but if your team wins then you keep advancing.

Personally, I hold the opinion that the best way to grow interest in the sport is through the team aspect, not the individual.  For an average fan, it is much easier to keep interested if their watching a team event vs. watching just one individual.  Sure, individual state has the quality of wrestling.  But I bet majority of the people attending are there to watch just a few wrestlers; like family members or people watching friends from school.  So these people get to see their wrestler of interest for a 6 minute match.  Then have to wait hours on end before they see that wrestler do it again.  Even if you're a fan of a very good team that sends 5 or 6 kids to individual state.  There still is a lot of waiting around between matches. 

However, with a team event, your interest is up for a couple hours at a time.  This is also why I don't like holding team regionals in the middle of a week.  I believe that the team series should be held after the individual series.  More people would be inclined to go if they were held on a Saturday vs. on a Wednesday.  So I think it's imperative that we embrace team state, just maybe more-so than individual state.

I think there is a lot of truth to what you have written.  If the team events were held after the individuals, what would the give and take be.  More chance for injury vs. time to heal, loss of momentum, etc.  Just curious what everyone thinks on this one.

I think there is a lot of truth to what you have written.  If the team events were held after the individuals, what would the give and take be.  More chance for injury vs. time to heal, loss of momentum, etc.  Just curious what everyone thinks on this one.

I'll give you my thoughts on why it would be better holding the team series after the individual series.  It's tough enough on the kids going against better and better competition as they progress in the tournament.  But we expect kids to divert their focus to a team meet in the middle of the week, then revert it back to that coming Saturday.  All the while, kids on not so good teams get to focus on the individual series all week alone.

It's also tough on the coaches as well, because as a coach, you want to prepare each wrestler for their individual matches.  But you've got take time to focus on team regionals as well.  If held after individuals, coaches can prep the team with a full week of practice.

I think the  new format helps with the back and forth. during the seasons it is mostly duals with a couple  of individuals tourney's. then comes sectional and one more dual based meet, so not much of a change in mentality since the season is largely like that. now focus on individual until the state. then one week until team state. this is better than the back and forth ( sat. then wed. ) of the past.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.