152 - 3

160 - 1

171 - 0

189 - 0

215 - 1

285 - 0

Total = 26

Will get brackets to y2 later tonight.

That goes against all the data!!! Maybe  East Chicago is just an outlier?  (Yep, I broke out the math speak!)

I always wonder how grade issues, injury, wrestlers moving weights for sectionals, and skin issues play in the FF stats during sectional time.  The stats are based on just the sectional roster not a regular season meet roster.  I would say for some teams may have had less FFs at some point during the year but because of one factor or another now have one or two more holes.  It wouldn't throw off the stats a lot but it may be slightly more realistic to the numbers we are trying to figure out. 

Y2, on your breakdown you have listed the Warren Central Sectional and the Shelbyville Sectional. They are the same one. Shelbyville and Franklin Central have rotated every other year with this one, but, this year being FC's turn, they cannot host because of construction or some other issue. Shelbyville couldn't because of some stupid poison ball event. So, Warren Central stepped up to host. Thank you Warren Central. From what I understand, FC does not want to host it anymore. Shelbyville can't host it every year because of the **** punkin chasers. Next year Shelby has it, but not sure after that.

Having 7 forfeits in the whole sectional is something to be proud of or brag about.  Right now the state average is creaping towards 2 per team and if you can average less than 1 per team, its doing pretty good.  Last year the average per team was just under 2 also.  I think no matter what you think of the lower weight classes, you can agree that we need to get the number of forfeits down not only in this state but across the country.

Updated with New Haven

Some minor good news is last year forfeits were averaging 1.98 per team and is down to 1.92 per team.

Last year's stats

http://www.garrettwrestling.com/brackets/2008/ffdistrubution.html

This year's stats

http://indianamat.com/brackets/ffdistrubution2009.html

Updated with New Haven

Some minor good news is last year forfeits were averaging 1.98 per team and is down to 1.92 per team.

Last year's stats

http://www.garrettwrestling.com/brackets/2008/ffdistrubution.html

This year's stats

http://indianamat.com/brackets/ffdistrubution2009.html

Thanks for this Y2...great job!  I was a little surprised by the 33 FF @ 130 & the 31 FF @ 160...I would see both of those weights as relatively easy to fill. 

does this start the weight class realignment discussion with the 26 %,  23 %,  17 % for the first three classes to eliminate forfiets as much as possible.  110,118,125,130,135,140,145,152,162,175,195,215,235,285.  keeping just 14 classes, I would love to see more but that would probably just add to the forfiets. I know some don't like the " slower" heavier matches but are they better than forfeits?

does this start the weight class realignment discussion with the 26 %,  23 %,  17 % for the first three classes to eliminate forfiets as much as possible.  110,118,125,130,135,140,145,152,162,175,195,215,235,285.  keeping just 14 classes, I would love to see more but that would probably just add to the forfiets. I know some don't like the " slower" heavier matches but are they better than forfeits?

Personally, I think if you were to adopt the weight classes used by the NCAA you would see forfeits in High School Wrestling also.  It doesn't seem to matter where we start the weight classes, kids will adjust their eating habits accordingly and still managed to miss weight.

One personal observation...Given the incredible number of over weight kids I see at the local Malls, and just about everywhere else, I am REALLY against adjusting weight classes to make it easier for them to eat an entire buffet at Pizza Hut and then show up in the wrestling room!

While I do understand there are obviously some incredibly gifted wrestlers that weigh close to, if not more than 285 pounds, I would BET you that they are in the minority to those kids who are basically just over weight and not generally interested in their long term health.  Just throwing weight classes at the top of the roster seems like it sends the wrong message. 

First of all I would love to see more than 14 classes ( 100 to unlimited), but I doubt that will ever happen. I think with forfeit % at 26 and 23 it is more of not having enough wrestlers close to those weights instead of one forth of them just missing weight. Maybe the coaches can correct me are 1/4 of the two lightest weight classes missing weight or are you unable to find enough wrestlers at those weights with reasonable weight cutting? I could see how about one in ten wrestlers missing weight for a variety of reasons ( no school so no practice, sick, injured, etc...) but I find it hard to believe that that many at just two weight classes are at those numbers.

the arguement against getting rid of 103 is null and void with the percentage of forfeits at 112 being almost identical.

:o :o :o :o :o :-X :-X :-X :-X

Either that or it strengthens the argument that 112 is where the 1st weight class should be. No one is advocating getting rid of a weight class, only adjusting the classes to get more kids on the mat.

That won't get more kids on the mat if you combine both these classes, because some most schools have both and 1 kid is gonna get knocked out in wrestle offs!! IMO these 2 classes have some of the better matches to watch and yes I might be a little bias!!!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.