Unofficial Coaches' Trophy Top 15 (official corrections welcome)

maligned

Here's the unofficial Coaches' Trophy Top 15.  Please help if you have the official tabulations and they differ from mine.  Thanks.

1. Mishawaka 97

2. Yorktown 62

3. Crown Point 58

4. Castle 52.5

5. Warren Central 49.5

6. Union County 44.5

7. Anderson Highland 41.5

8. Merrillville 38

9. Cathedral 32

Lake Central 32

11. Indian Creek 31.5

12. New Castle 31

Delphi 31

14. Hanover Central 30

Lawrence North 30

Just off the top of my head.............

Didn't Delta hold the record for a long time with 99 points scored at the state finals?

Just to put things in perspective (I am sure this record has been broken since then, but 97 is a LOT OF points.

This is absolutely true.  There are a few more points to be had nowadays (one more weight class, a couple wrestleback matches), but you didn't find many state champs over 80 points when the champion was crowned via the individual state finals.  We've gotten spoiled by a couple phenomenal teams in the past 10 years and have forgotten how good of a score 97 is.  I mean, Yorktown is in second with 62.  This would have won state sometimes before the team tournament.

Yes 97 is a lot of points but considering they had 9 kids scoring vs. yorktowns 62 with only 3 kids.

You're right.  They were in a position to have one of the all-time great scores and settled for just a great score.

I estimate the average score of a placing wrestler (all advancement pts. and bonus pts. included) to be just under 12.  Mishawaka only managed 10.8 per placer and Yorktown was obviously way above average.

1988-89 

1st Place Chesterton - Coach Bob Trzeciak,  Points 59.5

2nd Place Lawrence North - Coach Frank Svarczkopf, Points 51

Hard for me to recall, but I though Chesterton only had 3-4 placers that year.  Kind of tells you how well Yorktown did THIS year.

Under the old scoring system:

1994-95  Evansville Mater Dei  Mike Goebel  Bellmont,Brent Faurote 82-60

1993-94 Bellmont Brent Faurote Castle Bob Harmon 89-45

1992-93 Lawrence North Frank Svarczkopf, Jr. Southport Steve Dildine 72-53

1991-92 Lawrence North Frank Svarczkopf, Jr. Perry Meridian Phil Strader 90-48

1990-91 Mishawaka Al Smith Lawrence North Frank Svarczkopf 70-57.5

1989-90 Muncie Southside John Smith Decatur Central David Walpole 83.5-59.5

1988-89 Chesterton Bob Trzeciak Lawrence North Frank Svarczkopf 59.5-51

1987-88 Bellmont Dennis Hays Indianapolis Cathedral Lance Rhodes 70.5-65.5

1986-87 Bellmont Dennis Hays Evansville Mater Dei Mike Goebel 85.5-59

1985-86 Evansville Mater Dei Mike Goebel Delta,

Indianapolis Cathedral Don Patton

Lance Rhodes 92-75

New Castle High School

1984-85 Delta Don Patton Muncie Southside John Smith 51.5-46.5

Market Square Arena, Indianapolis

1983-84 Delta Don Patton Calumet Kenneth Stiggall 90.5-49

1982-83 Delta Don Patton Warren Central Gene Nesbit 72.5-51

1981-82 Delta Don Patton Terre Haute South Abdul-Raheem Ali 70.5-44.5

1980-81 Delta Don Patton Chesterton Bob Trzeciak 99-50.5

Southport High School

1979-80 Warren Central Allen Morgan North Central (Indpls.) Keith Farrand 56-48

1978-79 Indianapolis Arsenal Technical John Hurrle Bellmont Alan Kalver 46-43.5

1977-78 Bloomington South Kay Hutsell Warren Central Allen Morgan 48-47

1976-77 Bloomington North John Henry Martinsville John Roontz 47-40

1975-76 Indianapolis Arsenal Technical John Hurrle Bloomington North John Henry 38-31.5

1974-75 Muncie Southside Jim Cartwright Hammond Morton Fred Kepler 42-23

1973-74 Muncie Northside Fred Ginther Bloomington South Kay Hutsell 46-36

1972-73 Bloomington South Kay Hutsell Indianapolis Bishop Chatard Richard Dullaghan 36.5-25.5

1971-72 Bloomington Kay Hutsell Beech Grove Bill Bane 33.5-33

1970-71 Bloomington Kay Hutsell Penn Richard Daffinee 54-22

1969-70 Bloomington Kay Hutsell North Central (Indpls.) Keith Farrand 43-34

1968-69 Bloomington Kay Hutsell North Central (Indpls.) Keith Farrand 28-23

1967-68 Elkhart Rollie Hoover Franklin Central Allen Morgan 34-23

1966-67 Indianapolis Shortridge George Bohlin Franklin Central -- 25-22

1965-66 South Bend Adams Morris Aronson Carmel -- 28-22

1964-65 Indianapolis Arlington Jim Ellis Kokomo -- 45-23

1963-64 Southport Chauncey McDaniel Indianapolis Arlington -- 33-29

1962-63 Hammond Don Clark Anderson Don Pyle 27-24

1961-62 Hammond Don Clark South Bend Central -- 31-25

1960-61 Indianapolis Wood Frank Svarczkopf New Albany -- 24-22

1959-60 Indianapolis Wood Frank Svarczkopf Southport -- 32-27

Bloomington High School

1958-59 Indianapolis Shortridge Paul Dill Southport -- 37-32

Lafayette Jefferson High School

1957-58 Indianapolis Broad Ripple,

Richmond

(Co-Champions) William Sirka

Charles Hilton -- -- 25-25

Bloomington High School

1956-57 Bloomington Clifford Myers Southport -- 44-35

Sure would be nice if they could do a coaches trophey Top 10 score update after every round.  Couldn't help to get some of the crowd into a few matches because their small school or lesser known school is hanging with the big names in the top 10.  Just seems like the crowd was not as lively as in past years and it would be nice to keep the energy going more than it was most of this weekend.

Sure would be nice if they could do a coaches trophey Top 10 score update after every round.  Couldn't help to get some of the crowd into a few matches because their small school or lesser known school is hanging with the big names in the top 10.  Just seems like the crowd was not as lively as in past years and it would be nice to keep the energy going more than it was most of this weekend.

What do you want to bet the IHSAA would squelch this idea.  I agree; keeping score the old way and announcing it every so often made for more fun viewing.  I'd be surprised if they would let it happen.

I see no reason for this if you call it the "Coaches Trophy" and do not recognize it as being awarded by the ISHAA as a state championship or being connected with an IHSAA state championship.  It's not taking away from their award and they have several other things announced during the day the IHSAA doesn't keep official stats or records of so whats the difference.  Can someone just run around with a big whiteboard and show the number to the crowd then.  :)

I dont know how hard it is to do this but what place  did Prairie Heights finish. Just would like to know how the little school did.

With a 7th and an 8th place, you earned 7 points.  I don't know the placing.  I only calculated the teams with at least 2 placers because no other teams could possibly have had enough points to get into the top 15.  Any team with at least one 5th place or better scored more points than PH.

I see no reason for this if you call it the "Coaches Trophy" and do not recognize it as being awarded by the ISHAA as a state championship or being connected with an IHSAA state championship.  It's not taking away from their award and they have several other things announced during the day the IHSAA doesn't keep official stats or records of so whats the difference.  Can someone just run around with a big whiteboard and show the number to the crowd then.  :)

I am not joking on this one.....

I believe Whiteboards are banned at postseason (or maybe all) IHSAA events.

I have been scoring the coaches trophy for a few years and forgot my laptop at state this year.  I finished them late last night and have the completed brackets with team scores on page 15 below.

http://www.rtcol.com/RochesterWrestling/2009-10/2009-10%20State%20Finals.pdf

I will check my older finals results for a score higher than what Mishawaka put up this year.

These are also unofficial, but I am pretty sure they are accurate.

I am not joking on this one.....

I believe Whiteboards are banned at postseason (or maybe all) IHSAA events.

Well school/individual signs are banned at IHSAA events, but they have some banner for other things like the IHSWCA I'd say a whiteboard in that respect is within the rules.  I just didn't feel the crowd helping make the finals what it usually is.  If a Coaches Trophy rivalry get the crowd going I'm all for it even if its not an official state championship.

Well school/individual signs are banned at IHSAA events, but they have some banner for other things like the IHSWCA I'd say a whiteboard in that respect is within the rules.  I just didn't feel the crowd helping make the finals what it usually is.  If a Coaches Trophy rivalry get the crowd going I'm all for it even if its not an official state championship.

I would love to see them promote the team scores during or at the end of sessions.

They have a HUGE Multi-Media screen facing each of the 4 directions in the stadium...why not use it for something like brackets or other needed info throughout the event?

Seems like a huge waste since yu can get lost in the place trying to find the brackets!

They have a HUGE Multi-Media screen facing each of the 4 directions in the stadium...why not use it for something like brackets or other needed info throughout the event?

Seems like a huge waste since yu can get lost in the place trying to find the brackets!

That would probably make the price of a Coke go up to $20 a pop!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.