The toughest sport to earn a full ride

CoachM

Not that we don't already know this but here are some numbers to help your case when talking to others about the comparison between dedication in athletics.

"NCAA Wrestling full scholarships are as rare as hen?s teeth.  For every individual full ride in amateur wrestling you have roughly eight football scholarships.  No high school sport is comparable to wrestling in terms of ?full ride? difficulty.

According to a 2006 study, 1:257 competing wrestlers received a full ride.  Compared to 1:37 female Track & Field athletes."

That also amounts to 1 full ride in wrestling for every 8 in football. 

http://www.thewrestlingtalk.com/?p=403

Not that we don't already know this but here are some numbers to help your case when talking to others about the comparison between dedication in athletics.

"NCAA Wrestling full scholarships are as rare as hen?s teeth.  For every individual full ride in amateur wrestling you have roughly eight football scholarships.  No high school sport is comparable to wrestling in terms of ?full ride? difficulty.

According to a 2006 study, 1:257 competing wrestlers received a full ride.  Compared to 1:37 female Track & Field athletes."

http://www.thewrestlingtalk.com/?p=403

SO a shot-put and a sex change and my son is good to go?

Full rides really don't exist in D1 wrestling programs.  My son went to a camp at Ohio State last summer and after talking with J Jaggers he discovered that even Jaggers didn't have a full ride, a 2 time NCAA champ!  If that guy doesn't get a full ride, who does?  From what I understand, the coaches have so few scholarships to work with that all they do is give out partials even to the best of the best.  Lesson?  Get your grades up boys and go after the academic dough.  It's pletiful if you qualify.

When I was at Michigan wrestling camp back in 1996 our hall monitor girl was on the rowing team.  Being teenage boys we were very curious about this...or maybe the fact she was cute... anyway, she never rowed before she got to college.  She got on the team and had a scholarship for a sport she knew nothing about. 

When I was at Michigan wrestling camp back in 1996 our hall monitor girl was on the rowing team.  Being teenage boys we were very curious about this...or maybe the fact she was cute... anyway, she never rowed before she got to college.  She got on the team and had a scholarship for a sport she knew nothing about. 

Ah Michigain Wrestling camp I can recall several good stories from attending that camp.  Didn't get the female rower hall monitor though.  That must have been the delux package.

Try getting a Full Ride on the University of Hawaii Curling Team!

Geeze who would have known!  

Hey now Curling is a cool sport.  Pun intended.

Iu has so many sports for the girls to balance everything out its ridiculous. No experience needed. They have call outs and if you sign up your on the team and maybe a year or two in you can get a scholarship.

Though on the academic side if you have like a 3.7 and score at least a 29 on the ACT you get $8,000 a year in scholarship (in-state). Thats half of tuition for instate. Not a bad deal.

Just proves why it is important to be a STUDENT- athlete

A friend of my brother is a crew (rowing) coach.  While talking to him a few years ago, we figured out that college women's rowing got more scholarships nationally than men's wrestling.  At that point, there were only 2 (yes, two) high school female rowing programs in the entire country.

Basically, they just had girls sign up and receive full scholarships.  Or else, they had other female athletes (track, soccer, etc) participate in rowing in the off season and get their full scholarships and not take any away from their regular sport.

With the emergence, and now enforcement, of Title IX, most big colleges are throwing money at female athletes to get things balanced.  However, most small schools are cutting men's programs to achieve that balance.  Either way you look at it, true fairness isn't really part of the equation.

Fairness will be difficult to achieve in the long run and almost impossible in the short run.  You could eliminate football and not have the problems of matching up scholarships, but then you lose a bunch of income.  You can't base everything on income alone because there is no profit in any of the sports besides football, men's basketball, and maybe women's basketball.  While Title IX may be difficult to swallow and cause a lot of problems, I think it has allowed a larger pool of people to be involved in sports.  There would be no equality without it because all NCAA sports programs were run by old, mostly white, men (the bane of mankind).  Girls/womens teams were always left with inferior budgets, facilities, and opportunites until Title IX came along.  It would not have been necessary if folks had done the "fair" thing all along.  Humans generally don't play fair together and so you get equality at gunpoint.

Basically, they just had girls sign up and receive full scholarships. 

This is a big issue I have with Title IX in general.  It has colleges create a womens sports that is not popular or even native to the area just because the % of women at the college outnumbers the men.  This isn't high school where a large percentage of the students also want to participate in athletics.  In college most who attend are not interst in furthering their high school sports career even if that sport is available.  So why base the sports offered at that college off its population when the majority would not be interseted.  So then after createing this new sport they offer scholarships to students who attend the college that would not have regularly be interested in the sport or to prospective students who live several states away (or even in another country).  Then when its all said and done one decent sports program that has local support is cut while an new sports program that is subpar is formed that the local public has little interst in.  Based on this reasoning along basing Title IX on the % of men vs women at a college seems a silly way to do things.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.