132 Bracket I hate your stinking guts!

Honestly Jake and Thrine is such an interesting match up because of their style. 

Jake wins a lot of matches with how quick he is on reattacks and how smooth he is. Thine might be the superior athlete. 

Demarco is another wrinkle, he is mean, wrestles edgy and has crazy good hips where he lands on top in almost every scramble.

I know we all don’t get to see Thrine very much all year but kid showed up last year and stole the show beating Frazier 

who I think was ranked higher nationally a D1 committ and had a very impressive resume 

28 minutes ago, TrueRegionFan said:

Enjoy your bananas sir!

On 2/12/2024 at 9:48 AM, TeamGarcia said:

Give me the +450 banana line on Major or better though out 2024 State matches . 

cameron crowe GIF

eeeerrrrrr…… Bananas! 🍌 

The 3x State Champ The Iceman ! 

On another level . 

I was way off in my perception of how tight this match might be. Kudos to Hockaday. I thought he'd win and I was right that Thrine would score, but I was on the wrong side of the whole discussion of whether it would be close or not.

On paper, Hockaday '24 and Frazier '23 had similar accolades coming into their matches with Thrine--but I failed to give enough credit to how impactful Hockaday's pace and physicality are in matches against guys a little below his level. He simply leaves no doubt when he's better than someone.

9 hours ago, maligned said:

I was way off in my perception of how tight this match might be. Kudos to Hockaday. I thought he'd win and I was right that Thrine would score, but I was on the wrong side of the whole discussion of whether it would be close or not.

On paper, Hockaday '24 and Frazier '23 had similar accolades coming into their matches with Thrine--but I failed to give enough credit to how impactful Hockaday's pace and physicality are in matches against guys a little below his level. He simply leaves no doubt when he's better than someone.

Hockaday's phyicality, the way he opens up in matches, and takes what his opponent is giving is what separates him. Like he said in his post match interview, he is training for national titles, the State tourney is just live practice for him. I suspect Thrine will win at least one more title if not get the next two. But this match showed how far apart they are at the moment. I would bet that Hockaday will be the newest 4xmer next season. 

1 hour ago, SIACfan said:

Hockaday was the most impressive wrestler of the tournament, IMO.

I'm not trying to say I knew this going in, JMO after watching all the action.

I guess these IndianaMat rankers that had him #1 pound-for-pound know what they're talking about after all.

My fams from New Castle, I’ve been a part of the program, and known @FCFIGHTER170 since he was a scrawny freshman so my opinion comes with some bias, but I remember saying to my brothers when the season started that Ty would have to go through Hockaday to win this year if he didn’t stay at 126.  I never doubted him.  Not once.  I personally felt if there was anyone from 126-138 that could beat JH, Tylin was it.  I don’t even think Leveall could do it (not to take anything away from KL).

that said, I also said (to my bros) that he’d have to wrestle an absolutely perfect match or hit a big unexpected move to beat JH.  JH is just on a different level than anyone else in Indiana right now and has lofty aspirations.  

Tylins a superb athlete, a generational talent, if you will.  IMO, if he focused solely on wrestling, the gap probably wouldn’t have been what it was.  I’m sure I’m not the only one, Mew Castle community or otherwise, that thinks that. He continues to get better and wrestles very smart.  He may not blow guys out of the water but he doesn’t have to.  His best attribute, aside from just being a great person, is his ability to maintain his composure on the mat.  Even in the midst of the semifinal match with JH, he never seemed rattled.  Can’t wait to see what he does next year.    

1 hour ago, JayinSTL said:

My fams from New Castle, I’ve been a part of the program, and known @FCFIGHTER170 since he was a scrawny freshman so my opinion comes with some bias, but I remember saying to my brothers when the season started that Ty would have to go through Hockaday to win this year if he didn’t stay at 126.  I never doubted him.  Not once.  I personally felt if there was anyone from 126-138 that could beat JH, Tylin was it.  I don’t even think Leveall could do it (not to take anything away from KL).

that said, I also said (to my bros) that he’d have to wrestle an absolutely perfect match or hit a big unexpected move to beat JH.  JH is just on a different level than anyone else in Indiana right now and has lofty aspirations.  

Tylins a superb athlete, a generational talent, if you will.  IMO, if he focused solely on wrestling, the gap probably wouldn’t have been what it was.  I’m sure I’m not the only one, Mew Castle community or otherwise, that thinks that. He continues to get better and wrestles very smart.  He may not blow guys out of the water but he doesn’t have to.  His best attribute, aside from just being a great person, is his ability to maintain his composure on the mat.  Even in the midst of the semifinal match with JH, he never seemed rattled.  Can’t wait to see what he does next year.    

I admire the focus and dedication with Indiana’s year-round wrestlers and man, a couple of them are just on a whole other level. But I will admit it’s also pretty cool to see multi-sport athletes like Thrine under the lights. Particularly at a weight like 132. This is in no way a knock on specialization as kids should pursue whatever makes them happiest. I just meant it’s neat to occasionally see a kid with lots of wrestling success who plays other sports too. 

2 hours ago, Lawdiggity said:

I admire the focus and dedication with Indiana’s year-round wrestlers and man, a couple of them are just on a whole other level. But I will admit it’s also pretty cool to see multi-sport athletes like Thrine under the lights. Particularly at a weight like 132. This is in no way a knock on specialization as kids should pursue whatever makes them happiest. I just meant it’s neat to occasionally see a kid with lots of wrestling success who plays other sports too. 

However, schools like Brownsburg and Center Grove have several really good national level team sports. If the wrestling athletes went to schools that were not consistently competing for state or on the national ranking lists in other team sports, they would likely be multi-sport athletes. Just another thing to consider before transferring....