Mendez at 141

Looks like Mendez will be up at 141 this season.  Flo has him ranked #3 preseason.  How does everybody think he will transition from 133 to 141?  We all saw Micic struggle making the jump.  I think Mendez is easily top 4 at the weight.  How does he stack up against a guy like Real Woods?

10 hours ago, ReformedPoster said:

Looks like Mendez will be up at 141 this season.  Flo has him ranked #3 preseason.  How does everybody think he will transition from 133 to 141?  We all saw Micic struggle making the jump.  I think Mendez is easily top 4 at the weight.  How does he stack up against a guy like Real Woods?

He just took a world junior silver medal at 65kg (143), arguably the toughest weight in the world. Seems he's transitioning ok.

Yea,weight wise I think he’ll be fine. Technique wise he’s ok and still learning. Match management he’s adjusting to college talent ,this is ongoing,and doing ok. NCAA’s a long season with conferences and conference championships, opens and such. Maybe not popular here but number of matches for wrestlers should be limited by the coaches.  every wrestler is different but especially younger men new to the higher college level would benefit the first few years. To figure how much his body can take and avoid the injuries from such. You hate it at the tournament time guys are beat up and worn out. 

The understood plan for a couple years now was he’d be at 141 for most of his career and the hope was Bouzakas could maintain 133. So I’m sure he was preparing to acclimate to 141 this season if the coaches weren’t planning on throwing a redshirt on him.  I feel with the coaching instruction and room talent mendez will be competitive against the top guys at 141.  But we will see as the season progresses if his coaches can help him figure out the strategy necessary to defeat them.  With 3 of the other top 5 in the Big10, hopefully Jesse can get a match against them early (I hate the strategic ducking).  Although we didn’t see it consistently in his freshman campaign (chalk some up to being a true freshman) I feel he’s decent at making solid adjustment for those rematches.  

Edited by MattM

14 hours ago, MattM said:

The understood plan for a couple years now was he’d be at 141 for most of his career and the hope was Bouzakas could maintain 133. So I’m sure he was preparing to acclimate to 141 this season if the coaches weren’t planning on throwing a redshirt on him.  I feel with the coaching instruction and room talent mendez will be competitive against the top guys at 141.  But we will see as the season progresses if his coaches can help him figure out the strategy necessary to defeat them.  With 3 of the other top 5 in the Big10, hopefully Jesse can get a match against them early (I hate the strategic ducking).  Although we didn’t see it consistently in his freshman campaign (chalk some up to being a true freshman) I feel he’s decent at making solid adjustment for those rematches.  

Yeah, it's a completely different scenario from Micic. He was entering the first year of the new Olympic cycle wanting to test if he could avoid the difficulty of cutting to 57kg (125.5) internationally. The next Olympic weight is 65kg (143), so in his mid-20s he makes a go at fitting the 65kg weight. He was awful at 141 on the college circuit and gave it up. He's always been a guy who dedicates himself to endless hours of technique work, but not to the long-term weight training and power output building that the strength and speed of 141/143 opponents demand.

Mendez is young, fast, twitchy, still growing, bigger frame...he'll be great at 141/143.

Edited by maligned

Well is Jesse more a natural 141 anyway? I think possibly. He wrestled 138 both his Junior & Senior years in HS.

He is only older & more mature now. It's possible that 133 was a pretty decent cut for him last year.

Plus, 133 is probably the tougher collegiate weight this year anyway with Vito & Fix at the top of the standings. Not that 141 is soft, but it doesn't have the pedigree at the top like 133 has.

18 hours ago, SIACfan said:

Well is Jesse more a natural 141 anyway? I think possibly. He wrestled 138 both his Junior & Senior years in HS.

He is only older & more mature now. It's possible that 133 was a pretty decent cut for him last year.

Plus, 133 is probably the tougher collegiate weight this year anyway with Vito & Fix at the top of the standings. Not that 141 is soft, but it doesn't have the pedigree at the top like 133 has.

I agree with most of the above but you have to also consider Olympic Redshirts will likely change some of the weight class field.

22 hours ago, MattM said:

I agree with most of the above but you have to also consider Olympic Redshirts will likely change some of the weight class field.

Good point, I hadn't thought about that.

Edited by SIACfan

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Jesse is now 11-0 on the season after winning the CKLV Invitational. He has scored bonus points in all but one of his matches. The other is a 5-2 win over #7 ranked Ryan Jack in the CKLV finals.

FYI, he also got a 11-3 MD over #4 ranked Brock Hardy in the semifinals over the weekend.

So far so good at 141.

Well Cole Matthews is a formidable opponent & lot better than his ranking & record this year might indicate. He spent a portion of last year ranked #1 at 141.

Matthews is pretty much a defensive wrestler who rarely gets bonus point wins but manages to win a vast majority of his matches. Jesse controlled the pace the entire match but couldn't break through Matthews defense. He escaped quickly in the second period & then rode Matthews for most of the 3rd. Unfortunately, he got a little lackadaisical at the end & gave up the last second TD.

I'd bet good money Jesse gets him if they meet again.

On 12/10/2023 at 11:41 PM, Disco said:

Nobody goes undefeated  . He’s been in a lot of matches this year so far, hope he stays healthy. He need not worry about a loss here and there. Just needs to stay away from he injury bug. 

A lot of people go undefeated, 6 did last season.  That being said, an early season loss to a tough wrestler is not a big deal.  I would expect a different result should they meet again

15 hours ago, ReformedPoster said:

A lot of people go undefeated, 6 did last season.  That being said, an early season loss to a tough wrestler is not a big deal.  I would expect a different result should they meet again

You are right 6 is a lot.