U20 Worlds

MattM

Jesse Mendez in the finals against Shakeri of Iran

Christian Carroll up early tomorrow morning. He will have a beast of an Iranian in Masoumi to battle if he makes it to the quarters. 

If you want some insight on those opponents or others from Iran the US contingent will likely face, our Iranian friends via the College-International Board have talked some about the U20 event in recent days. 

Edited by MattM

5 minutes ago, GWCoach said:

Wow I didn't know Masoumi was that good. I knew Zare was their guy, but man. Have they ever wrestled each other before?

They wrestled once last year, Zare won 11-3. Masoumi was only 18 (now 19), he's a totally different build and style to Zare but he would probably medal at Worlds already (lost in the last few seconds to Munkhtur a few months ago in a match he was leading the entire time). Zare is likely still the guy for 2024 but Masoumi is a special talent. 

Zare himself is also very young, he's only 22.

Edited by The Genius

31 minutes ago, The Genius said:

They wrestled once last year, Zare won 11-3. Masoumi was only 18 (now 19), he's a totally different build and style to Zare but he would probably medal at Worlds already (lost in the last few seconds to Munkhtur a few months ago in a match he was leading the entire time). Zare is likely still the guy for 2024 but Masoumi is a special talent. 

Zare himself is also very young, he's only 22.

Is Amir related to Fardin who wrestled for Iran a few decades back.  Fardin's name comes up alot if you just search Masoumi Valadi and Iranian Wrestling.  Same last part of the name, similar size,  and Fardin's age matches up to be his father or uncle.

22 minutes ago, MattM said:

Is Amir related to Fardin who wrestled for Iran a few decades back.  Fardin's name comes up alot if you just search Masoumi Valadi and Iranian Wrestling.  Same last part of the name, similar size,  and Fardin's age matches up to be his father or uncle.

Yes, Amir is Fardin's son

10 minutes ago, Y2CJ41 said:

Mendez match was interesting, two shot clock points and 5 step outs. Mendez was the closest to getting a true score. The Iranian's underhooks and collar ties stymied Jesse most of the match. 

Yeah. I felt there was bunch of finger grabbing that wasn’t being caught. That dude had some great defense for sure. Mendez didn’t back off that second period. Woke me up on the lunch break. 

Shapiro is very good. I expected him to beat Rezaei but I didn't expect Rezaei to give up a 4-0 lead and gas so fast, but that was Shapiro's doing

Aghaei vs Mesenbrink at 74kg tomorrow will be the match to watch. Both incredible wrestlers. Mesenbrink beat Aghaei 9-7 in U20 Worlds last year.  

2 hours ago, Y2CJ41 said:

Mendez match was interesting, two shot clock points and 5 step outs. Mendez was the closest to getting a true score. The Iranian's underhooks and collar ties stymied Jesse most of the match. 

Did anyone go back to see if Jesse stepped out first on the last two step outs? Last one was def worth a brick. I would go back to watch but back to work now. Just wanted to see what you guys thought. 

Edited by Mattyb

6 minutes ago, Mattyb said:

Did anyone go back to see if Jesse stepped out first on the last two step outs? Last one was def worth a brick. I would go back to watch but back to work now. Just wanted to see what you guys thought. 

I think it was the first(or maybe second) one that was really close. I thought they might throw a brick for that one, but it's hard to waste a brick on a stepout that early in the match. One of the last ones also was really close.

16 minutes ago, Y2CJ41 said:

I think it was the first(or maybe second) one that was really close. I thought they might throw a brick for that one, but it's hard to waste a brick on a stepout that early in the match. One of the last ones also was really close.

Hey Joe...can you do me a favor and check your email I sent you via Indianamat?

4 hours ago, Y2CJ41 said:

The Iranian's underhooks and collar ties stymied Jesse most of the match. 

Iran’s undertook technique has been an absolute bear to deal with for many top international wrestlers over the years. 

3 hours ago, The Genius said:

USA leads Iran 95-80 in the FS team title after day 1

Iran did better on day 2, will be very close...

As it currently stands Iran has jumped to lead of 150 to 125. 

15 minutes ago, MattM said:

As it currently stands Iran has jumped to lead of 150 to 125. 

So far only day 1 wrestlers have confirmed points/positions:

1. USA - 95 points

2. Iran - 80 points

We can calculate point ranges for day 2 wrestlers:

- USA: 50-70 points (total = 95 + (50-70) = 145-165 total points

- Iran: 70-94 points (total = 80 + (70-94) = 150-174 total points

If Azimi and Masoumi both win gold (which they will), no matter what the US does, if either Khorramdel OR Aghaei win their medal match, Iran will win the team title.