Transfer portal thread

Seems as if college sports is just becoming the wild west - unfettered free agency year-to-year.

• Will we see a college athlete compete 4 years for 4 different teams?
  • Will a college athlete make more money in a single season than any pro athlete at his/her sport?
  • What is really the point of wrestling a dual against Penn State this season - with their additions nobody will stand a chance to even keep it close.  So teams roll out their backups, or else Penn State rests their starters for most of the duals and saves them for the postseason
  • I do believe, however, that this may lead to the near-top tier wrestlers opting for other schools than the elite.  What would be the point of committing (*REALLY committing - like planning to attend 4 years) to Penn State, only to have your spot in the lineup taken by a one-year transfer to "fill out their lineup"

6 hours ago, base said:

Seems as if college sports is just becoming the wild west - unfettered free agency year-to-year.

•  
  • Will a college athlete make more money in a single season than any pro athlete at his/her sport?
  •  

I think that's a reality now.   Mikey Williams QB from Memphis has $3.6MM in NIL money this year.    Most pro athletes dont make that much.

9 hours ago, base said:

• What is really the point of wrestling a dual against Penn State this season - with their additions nobody will stand a chance to even keep it close.  So teams roll out their backups, or else Penn State rests their starters for most of the duals and saves them for the postseason
  • I do believe, however, that this may lead to the near-top tier wrestlers opting for other schools than the elite.  What would be the point of committing (*REALLY committing - like planning to attend 4 years) to Penn State, only to have your spot in the lineup taken by a one-year transfer to "fill out their lineup"

Answers in bold

No, still can only transfer for free for one year unless it's a grad transfer.
    Obviously for wrestling... it could be likely, but the reality is it will not be a lot. The biggest thing is this money is being taken from the RTCs which pay the athletes after college.
    Don't blame them, Sanderson is doing what he's supposed to do, WIN! They have the best system and peaking performance in the country right now. It will be ugly come March.
    It depends on your goals, right now everyone is looking for portal pickups whether they are Penn State or Podunk State. It's being used and everyone is looking for a couple short term rentals.

One thing you'll see is less of the grad transfers after next year as the COVID year is expiring. The extreme COVID year guys have two years left and after five years most will have a degree and potentially look for a grad year somewhere else.

All the new avenues that are available to put a program together puts more pressure on a head coach to produce. Every program will need a person on staff to stay up on these evolving scenarios. Head Coach won’t have the time.

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, BrodyHardcastle said:

IU lands  SDSU transfer Roman Rogotzke. Seems to be the answer at 184 for the Hoosiers.

Looks like he was 9-8 in D1 matches last year as SDSU's 3rd best 184. Wrestlestat has him as the projected IU starter and ranked #49 in the country headed into next year

2 hours ago, maligned said:

Looks like he was 9-8 in D1 matches last year as SDSU's 3rd best 184. Wrestlestat has him as the projected IU starter and ranked #49 in the country headed into next year

Not a world-beater by any means, but definitely the best option for the Hoosiers next year. His little brother is currently ranked #2 at 195 and committed to Ohio State. Hopefully a change of scenery along with the guidance of Lefever and Dixon can lead to some important wins next year. 

2 hours ago, BrodyHardcastle said:

Not a world-beater by any means, but definitely the best option for the Hoosiers next year. His little brother is currently ranked #2 at 195 and committed to Ohio State. Hopefully a change of scenery along with the guidance of Lefever and Dixon can lead to some important wins next year. 

Yes, he had a couple of promising wins last year and this was a weight where IU struggled to get points. Hoping the guys already there can make it a good competition and collectively they can elevate the quality of results at 184.

On 5/12/2023 at 6:31 AM, maligned said:

Yes, with Bennett Berge coming off red shirt, as a freshman, will more than likely take the 184 spot for SDSU. No place in the lineup for Roman. A good addition to Indiana room. 

Purdue's had some good additions from the portal the past few weeks. They picked up 149 Marco Polancos from Minnesota and James Rowley from Wisconsin. Polancos has been a starter and NCAA qualifier and comes into one of Purdue's weakest spots in the lineup. James Rowley was taking his redshirt as a freshman this past season at Wisconsin. He was a blue chip recruit coming out of high school and almost initially committed to Purdue. He has silver and bronze age level world medals and is a great addition to the back half of the lineup. 

1 hour ago, Thor said:

Purdue's had some good additions from the portal the past few weeks. They picked up 149 Marco Polancos from Minnesota and James Rowley from Wisconsin. Polancos has been a starter and NCAA qualifier and comes into one of Purdue's weakest spots in the lineup. James Rowley was taking his redshirt as a freshman this past season at Wisconsin. He was a blue chip recruit coming out of high school and almost initially committed to Purdue. He has silver and bronze age level world medals and is a great addition to the back half of the lineup. 

Polanco should fit nicely into 149 I assume right? Baumann and Rowley at 174/184 with Vanadia going back up to 197?

5 minutes ago, BrodyHardcastle said:

Polanco should fit nicely into 149 I assume right? Baumann and Rowley at 174/184 with Vanadia going back up to 197?

My guess is Polanco at 149, Baumann at 174, Rowley 184, and Millano 197. You also have Jake Null in there at 174 who transferred in last year. It would be nice if Baumann could make 165. But I could see Vanandia taking the spot at 197. I thought 184 was too light for him, I thought he wrestled some 220 his senior year. 

1 minute ago, Thor said:

My guess is Polanco at 149, Baumann at 174, Rowley 184, and Millano 197. You also have Jake Null in there at 174 who transferred in last year. It would be nice if Baumann could make 165. But I could see Vanandia taking the spot at 197. I thought 184 was too light for him, I thought he wrestled some 220 his senior year. 

Man, I didn't realize Millano was that big. Hoping they can get Blaze # 2 in the near future as well!

14 minutes ago, BrodyHardcastle said:

Man, I didn't realize Millano was that big. Hoping they can get Blaze # 2 in the near future as well!

Millano has been bulking and back in March said he weighed 195. And I'm hearing good things about Marcus Blaze to Purdue potentially! 

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like Joey Millano is no longer coming to Purdue. Purdue deleted the commitment article for him and Ersland didn't mention him when talking about transfers in an interview with Intermat today. So now we're looking at probably 174-197 as Baumann/Null-Rowley-Vanadia. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/12/2023 at 5:31 AM, maligned said:

Just a solid addition for close duals, I’ll take it. 

• 3 months later...
On 5/12/2023 at 10:45 AM, maligned said:

Yes, he had a couple of promising wins last year and this was a weight where IU struggled to get points. Hoping the guys already there can make it a good competition and collectively they can elevate the quality of results at 184.

Looking at his losses, he wrestled #2 ranked Keckheisien from UNI twice and lost decisions, Lost a close one to #8 Abe Assad of Iowa, dropped a few to SKillings of MN.  He beat DeAnthony Parker who was ranked top 20 of NDSU and Iowas "Next" at 197 in highly rated Kolby Franklin.  He goes after big competition and isn't afraid to battle.  I would not sleep on this kid, as rumor has it he is a beast worker in the room and has big goals for this year.